Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Intermittent BSOD's

12 May 2011   #1
Flea46

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
 
 
Intermittent BSOD's

Hi there,

My system has been experiencing random BSOD's for the last couple of months, mainly regarding "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" & "CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION" errors.

I thought it might be software/driver related however after a reformat and fresh install OS install the BSOD's continue even in safe-mode.

I have run several memory diagnostic tests which showed errors in both sticks of RAM even when tested individually & in different motherboard slots, however it seems unlikely that both of them have become faulty.

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated,

many thanks,

Rob

System Specs


Quote:
- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit / Full Retail)
- System Hardware roughly 4 years old
- OS Installation - FRESH Re-Install
- CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (SLI x2)
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4.00 GB (2x 2GB Sticks)





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 May 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flea46 View Post
Hi there,

My system has been experiencing random BSOD's for the last couple of months, mainly regarding "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" & "CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION" errors.

I thought it might be software/driver related however after a reformat and fresh install OS install the BSOD's continue even in safe-mode.

I have run several memory diagnostic tests which showed errors in both sticks of RAM even when tested individually & in different motherboard slots, however it seems unlikely that both of them have become faulty.

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated,

many thanks,

Rob

System Specs


Quote:
- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit / Full Retail)
- System Hardware roughly 4 years old
- OS Installation - FRESH Re-Install
- CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (SLI x2)
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4.00 GB (2x 2GB Sticks)



Several problems




1-ASACPI.SYS a major cause of BSOD's in the 2005 rev.

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.

The 2005 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.
Please visit this link: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
Scroll down to the Utilities category, then scroll down to the "ATK0110 driver for WindowsXP/Vista/Windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).
Download and install it.
Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers to check and make sure that the ASACPI.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (NOT 2005).


2-All the memory mangement crashes are Related to rdyboost.sys ReadyBoost Drive from Microsoft Corporation.

I would run a system file check to verify and repair The OS files.

Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know the results from the report at the end.



3- old drivers needing update
Code:
ctac32k.sys    7/2/2008 04:38:22 AM    fffff880`04eae000    0x000ae000    0x486b3e7e    fffff880`04e00000                            
nvm62x64.sys    10/17/2008 05:01:06 PM    fffff880`04b59d80    0x00063d80    0x48f8fd12    fffff880`04af6000
How To Find Drivers:
Quote:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads
Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Loading Dump File [C:\Users\K\Desktop\Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2\051211-27502-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;srv*e:\symbols
*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7600.16792.amd64fre.win7_gdr.110408-1633
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02850000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02a8de50
Debug session time: Thu May 12 06:01:27.855 2011 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:24.009
Loading Kernel Symbols
...............................................................
................................................................
..........................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
....
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {1238, fffffa8008667d80, 802, 0}

Probably caused by : rdyboost.sys ( rdyboost!ST_STORE<SMD_TRAITS>::StReleaseRegion+4e )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
    # Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000001238, The subtype of the bugcheck.
Arg2: fffffa8008667d80
Arg3: 0000000000000802
Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
------------------


BUGCHECK_STR:  0x1a_1238

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff800029ba4df to fffff800028c0700

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`096ad7b8 fffff800`029ba4df : 00000000`0000001a 00000000`00001238 fffffa80`08667d80 00000000`00000802 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`096ad7c0 fffff880`01948f42 : fffffa80`08667d80 fffffa80`04be7118 00000000`000004b8 fffff880`0194999a : nt!MmFreePagesFromMdl+0x5f
fffff880`096ad820 fffff880`0194886f : fffffa80`04be7118 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`04c38fe8 fffffa80`00000000 : rdyboost!ST_STORE<SMD_TRAITS>::StReleaseRegion+0x4e
fffff880`096ad880 fffff880`0194755e : fffffa80`04be70b0 00000000`00000001 fffffa80`04be70b0 00000000`00000001 : rdyboost!ST_STORE<SMD_TRAITS>::StDmCleanup+0x183
fffff880`096ad8c0 fffff880`01946a23 : fffffa80`04be70b0 00000000`00000001 fffffa80`04be70b0 fffff880`096adca0 : rdyboost!SMKM_STORE<SMD_TRAITS>::SmStCleanup+0x7a
fffff880`096ad900 fffff880`01946986 : fffff880`019698f0 00000000`00000008 fffffa80`04be70b0 fffff880`01969870 : rdyboost!SMKM_STORE_MGR<SMD_TRAITS>::SmStoreMgrCallback+0x4b
fffff880`096ad940 fffff880`0196d4b8 : fffff880`01969870 fffff880`096adca0 00000000`00000000 fffff880`096adad0 : rdyboost!SMKM_STORE_MGR<SMD_TRAITS>::SmCleanup+0x9a
fffff880`096ad970 fffff880`0194eb9e : fffffa80`05a9bc80 fffffa80`05a9bc80 fffffa80`08e46b10 00000000`00000000 : rdyboost!SmdRBContextShutdown+0x94
fffff880`096ad9b0 fffff800`02bda467 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`0865dd90 fffffa80`0865dea8 fffffa80`05a9bc80 : rdyboost!SmdDispatchDeviceControl+0x3ce
fffff880`096ada10 fffff800`02bdacc6 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!IopXxxControlFile+0x607
fffff880`096adb40 fffff800`028bf953 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`000003e8 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000458 : nt!NtDeviceIoControlFile+0x56
fffff880`096adbb0 00000000`76f8f72a : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
00000000`01b5ed28 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x76f8f72a


STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
rdyboost!ST_STORE<SMD_TRAITS>::StReleaseRegion+4e
fffff880`01948f42 33d2            xor     edx,edx

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  2

SYMBOL_NAME:  rdyboost!ST_STORE<SMD_TRAITS>::StReleaseRegion+4e

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: rdyboost

IMAGE_NAME:  rdyboost.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4a5bc48a

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x1a_1238_rdyboost!ST_STORE_SMD_TRAITS_::StReleaseRegion+4e

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x1a_1238_rdyboost!ST_STORE_SMD_TRAITS_::StReleaseRegion+4e

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2011   #3
Flea46

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
 
 

Hi ZigZag,

firstly thanks for the quick reply and secondly for the detailed advice given.

Unfortunately my system seems to have taken a turn for the worst, I managed to install the updated Asus Driver - ASACPI.SYS, however when attempting to run the SFC my system consistently hangs, eventually resulting in the cursor freezing.

I am also now unable to boot even in safe-mode, as Startup Repair is automatically launched, which attempts repairs but freezes in the process :S

Could this point to a more serious problem, such as faulty RAM or motherboard?

Regards,

Rob.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 May 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flea46 View Post
Hi ZigZag,

firstly thanks for the quick reply and secondly for the detailed advice given.

Unfortunately my system seems to have taken a turn for the worst, I managed to install the updated Asus Driver - ASACPI.SYS, however when attempting to run the SFC my system consistently hangs, eventually resulting in the cursor freezing.

I am also now unable to boot even in safe-mode, as Startup Repair is automatically launched, which attempts repairs but freezes in the process :S

Could this point to a more serious problem, such as faulty RAM or motherboard?

Regards,

Rob.
Could be hardware or software but we need to diagnose it.

You may have to do an OS re-install if you cant boot up at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2011   #5
Flea46

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
 
 

I just managed to run SFC a couple of times but it reported no errors, also tried unplugging and reconnecting all my hardware including the CMOS battery however I'm still experiencing BSOD's.

Sometimes it will boot up, however other times it hangs on the boot screen and prevents me from entering the BIOS.

I am still unable to determine whether this is a hardware or software issue... and I'm at a loss

Any advice or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flea46 View Post
I just managed to run SFC a couple of times but it reported no errors, also tried unplugging and reconnecting all my hardware including the CMOS battery however I'm still experiencing BSOD's.

Sometimes it will boot up, however other times it hangs on the boot screen and prevents me from entering the BIOS.

I am still unable to determine whether this is a hardware or software issue... and I'm at a loss

Any advice or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

If it hangs in BIOS it is either in need of a BIOS upgrade, or it is probably hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #7
Flea46

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
 
 

Ok just an update, my system seems to have stabilised to some degree, but I have experienced two different errors referring to the Windows kernel "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" & "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP".

I also checked my BIOS and its up to date with the latest version (P5N-D BIOS 1401)

Although it still hangs on the BIOS splash screen during boot-up, I have noticed that when the power is turned off for about 5/10 minutes and then back on again it boots up first time! Does this sound like a power supply issue?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #8
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flea46 View Post
Ok just an update, my system seems to have stabilised to some degree, but I have experienced two different errors referring to the Windows kernel "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" & "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP".

I also checked my BIOS and its up to date with the latest version (P5N-D BIOS 1401)

Although it still hangs on the BIOS splash screen during boot-up, I have noticed that when the power is turned off for about 5/10 minutes and then back on again it boots up first time! Does this sound like a power supply issue?
Could be power supply, perhaps heat, perhaps a configuration issue. I would look at the power supply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #9
Flea46

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
 
 

Could you recommend any way of testing a PSU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #10
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flea46 View Post
Could you recommend any way of testing a PSU?
Difficult to test without equipment and the skill set to use it. DO you have another computer you could swap PSU's on to test?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Intermittent BSOD's




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
intermittent BSOD
been getting a few BSOD's, the last one is the only one I could read and it said IRQL less or equal as soon as I plugged in a flash drive here's my logs
BSOD Help and Support
Intermittent BSOD
All, I have been getting intermittent BSOD, mainly when searching the internet. I also think some of them are happening when the PC is sleeping. I have not installed any new devices and I have run the memory test and it passed 6 times with no errors. I am trying to attach my...
BSOD Help and Support
Intermittent BSOD on new PC
Hi I have been getting intermittent BSOD on a new PC, always restricted to a maximum of one per day. My system details are as follows: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 3.5 GHz 4 GB RAM 64bit OEM Windows 7
BSOD Help and Support
Intermittent BSOD
Hello, I've had intermittent BSOD over the last few weeks or so. Here is my info: Win 7x64 Original OS installed on this drive. Full Retail Version System hardware is all less than 2 years old OS install is approx. 9 months old IIRC.
BSOD Help and Support
Very intermittent BSOD
I made a computer for a friend for a favour (the specs i have listed in my rego) and it all works and then i send it off to her and then it BSOD. Originally i thought it was something she was doing at her house but i have since to realise that usability just degrades over time. This is the worst...
BSOD Help and Support
intermittent bsod
i am getting intermittent bsods sometimes when i am doing something and sometimes while idle. if i turn verifier on then i cant even fully boot up. below is the dump. any help or tips are greatly appreciated. edited - removed useless info
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:47.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App