Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help with a BSOD issue.

20 Jul 2011   #1
Avison Atrius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 
Need help with a BSOD issue.

I recently built a new pc but I seem to be randomly getting BSOD errors infrequently every day or so. I have a full retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit os. All my specs are in my profile.

Thanks for any and all help!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jul 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avison Atrius View Post
I recently built a new pc but I seem to be randomly getting BSOD errors infrequently every day or so. I have a full retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit os. All my specs are in my profile.

Thanks for any and all help!
caused by memory corruption (probably a driver) Please run these two tests


Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program.

Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.



Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #3
Avison Atrius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Well memtest86 says my memory is fine. I let it do five passes and not a single error.

It must be a driver error. How does using the verifier narrow down the bsod cause? Is there anything else I should know?

Either way, I input the settings into it and restarted and I haven't had a BSOD yet. What do I do when I get a BSOD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jul 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avison Atrius View Post
Well memtest86 says my memory is fine. I let it do five passes and not a single error.

It must be a driver error. How does using the verifier narrow down the bsod cause? Is there anything else I should know?

Either way, I input the settings into it and restarted and I haven't had a BSOD yet. What do I do when I get a BSOD?
Driver verifier "traps" the offending driver most of the time. Keep running till it crashes then upload the DMP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2011   #5
Avison Atrius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

It crashed. Now what do I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2011   #6
Avison Atrius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I don't know where the DMP is so I can't post it, however after my computer crashed I can no longer access Steam. Which is not good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avison Atrius View Post
I don't know where the DMP is so I can't post it, however after my computer crashed I can no longer access Steam. Which is not good.




To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.



To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #8
Avison Atrius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Here's the dumps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #9
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avison Atrius View Post
Here's the dumps.

Verifier enabled pool corruption. I would run these two tests.


Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program.

Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.



Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2011   #10
Avison Atrius

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

7 passes no errors on memtest86.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help with a BSOD issue.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD randomly (no specific trigger) Commonly an IRQL issue on BSOD
Hi, My computer has been unstable for quite some time and after memory tests, changing graphics cards, many driver variations and a couple of fresh OS installs a while ago it is still not stable. The difficulty is that it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything specific so it makes debugging...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD issue
Hi, I am also facing same problem, system is crashing, after crash system reboots and comes up,after some system crash and reboots. I observed it when i am accessing internet. Below is the error dump. Please help in figuring out problem. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD & Non-BSOD Crashes, Display Driver Issue?
I'm running: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, OEM, never reinstalled HP model #p6654y, approx. 1 year old, no major problems until now I've attached the BSOD Dump and System File Collection, but Windows refuses to produce a System Health Report because I have to run in safe mode. If you have...
BSOD Help and Support
Another BSOD issue... please help.
This is the first pc I ever built, has been BSOD from day one. Any help is greatly appreciated.
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Issue.. HELP
This pops up when I play a video file. It doesn't happen all the time, so i wouldn't say whenever. Still, it only pops up when i play video files. I am not overclocking, I thought that might be the case so I set it back to factory clocks. Any help?... I hate this BSOD.
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD issue
Hey everybody. I'm having an identical problem as this guy: https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/54063-windows-7-bsod-issue-dmp-attached.html. It happens mostly after coming out of standby, just like him. Mine's a Toshiba L355D-S7825. I've been having BSODs since I bought the thing,...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App