Windows Explorer crashing on right-click under x64 RTM

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,377
    Win7x64
       #121

    Solace said:
    the explorer right click issue has happend since always and yes off a fresh format. as for the MMC issue only started occurring along with the explorer issue after this format and after the reliability patch update. before that it was only the right click issue. as for the dumps que folder only has one dumb from a long time ago and its produced multiple error reports so i don't believe its working as it should. weird thing is not even the event viewer is picking up the MMC errors or the explorer ones now... like the shell will restart itself randomly on right clicks and during that time if i proceed to go to event viewer then the MMC errors will be displayed. not sure what i could have possibly changed.
    Sorry dude, I keep on being distracted by other issues, but I'm quite intrigued by this issue and I really do want to try to help - if I can.

    Could you please try going through this alternative procedure to try to obtain some dumps:

    Explorer crashing when deleting files

    It may also be useful if you start a separate thread. This one's technically dealing with another person's crashes, and they may not stem from the same root cause.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Professional x64
       #122

    I would have to agree with the previous posters that this issue seems to be related in some way to Firefox. I have done clean installs of Windows 7 RTM (x64) and Vista x64 on two separate computers and I have had the issue the OP described happen exactly. After removing Firefox from both systems, the issue has disappeared.

    Out of curiosity, has anyone submitted a bug report to Firefox's bugzilla?
      My Computer

  3.   My Computer


  4. Posts : 13
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
       #124

    Vincent said:
    I would have to agree with the previous posters that this issue seems to be related in some way to Firefox. I have done clean installs of Windows 7 RTM (x64) and Vista x64 on two separate computers and I have had the issue the OP described happen exactly. After removing Firefox from both systems, the issue has disappeared.

    Out of curiosity, has anyone submitted a bug report to Firefox's bugzilla?
    I've had the same problem with windows explorer crashing, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. However, I have not installed Firefox at all with 7 HP 64bit. So for myself it doesn't seem to be related to Firefox. Maybe it's a ghost...

      My Computer

  5.    #125

    Eddie48 said:
    Vincent said:
    I would have to agree with the previous posters that this issue seems to be related in some way to Firefox. I have done clean installs of Windows 7 RTM (x64) and Vista x64 on two separate computers and I have had the issue the OP described happen exactly. After removing Firefox from both systems, the issue has disappeared.

    Out of curiosity, has anyone submitted a bug report to Firefox's bugzilla?
    I've had the same problem with windows explorer crashing, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. However, I have not installed Firefox at all with 7 HP 64bit. So for myself it doesn't seem to be related to Firefox. Maybe it's a ghost...

    me too when I completed installed W7 HP x64 without install anything and it still crashing - seem to be the OS problems like ntdll.dll that what i looked up in my own system -- it could be the Win 7 itself that may have cause problems in dll files
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Professional x64
       #126

    Lucky, when you reinstalled Windows 7, did you run all of the Windows updates before this happened, or did this occur from a clean install with no updates?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 41
    Windows 7 7600 x64/x32
       #127

    i believe all of these errors are probably linked together and that ur assumptions are correct and that my problem is strongly similar enough to this guys to not need the new thread. when one symptom occurs they ALL happen at the same time until it clears up.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,377
    Win7x64
       #128

    Solace said:
    i believe all of these errors are probably linked together and that ur assumptions are correct and that my problem is strongly similar enough to this guys to not need the new thread. when one symptom occurs they ALL happen at the same time until it clears up.
    Up to you of course, but story-based crash troubleshooting is almost always pointless. Everything that starts off with "my grandma had that problem too, and then she uninstalled XYZ" is a well-meaning but misguided attempt to skip the "diagnosis" and go straight to the "solution" phase. Since nobody (yet) knows precisely what's causing your crashes, all proposed solutions are just wild stabs in the dark.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Professional x64
       #129

    H2SO4 said:
    Up to you of course, but story-based crash troubleshooting is almost always pointless. Everything that starts off with "my grandma had that problem too, and then she uninstalled XYZ" is a well-meaning but misguided attempt to skip the "diagnosis" and go straight to the "solution" phase. Since nobody (yet) knows precisely what's causing your crashes, all proposed solutions are just wild stabs in the dark.
    I would challenge that. A big part of troubleshooting is pattern recognition. When the "story" is reasonably complete with the appropriate details (ex: when did it begin, what have you tried, when does it seem to occur, etc.), it can be possible to easily link it to an existing issue. While it may not determine the exact cause of the issue from a programming point of view, it does have a high likelihood of rectifying the issue - which is quite frankly the only thing we as end users care about.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,377
    Win7x64
       #130

    Vincent said:
    H2SO4 said:
    Up to you of course, but story-based crash troubleshooting is almost always pointless. Everything that starts off with "my grandma had that problem too, and then she uninstalled XYZ" is a well-meaning but misguided attempt to skip the "diagnosis" and go straight to the "solution" phase. Since nobody (yet) knows precisely what's causing your crashes, all proposed solutions are just wild stabs in the dark.
    I would challenge that. A big part of troubleshooting is pattern recognition. When the "story" is reasonably complete with the appropriate details (ex: when did it begin, what have you tried, when does it seem to occur, etc.), it can be possible to easily link it to an existing issue.
    Sure, except the story is entirely incomplete in this instance. There are X posters, Y separate problem permutations, Z suggested "resolutions" - all superimposed on top of each other into a waveform which is quite inscrutable without some serious "social fourier analysis" :)

    Vincent said:
    While it may not determine the exact cause of the issue from a programming point of view, it does have a high likelihood of rectifying the issue - which is quite frankly the only thing we as end users care about.
    I think what you're advocating is the trial-and-error approach. Nothing wrong with that, under many circumstances. However, the more complex the problem, and the greater the number of moving parts, the more difficult it becomes to guess the correct answer based on the "story so far", and the more impractical it is to "shotgun" (obliterate) all possible problem causes.

    I sincerely wish you luck with your chosen approach.
      My Computer


 
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28.
Find Us