Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Explorer.exe taking up 15-30% CPU usage when moving mou

16 Sep 2009   #101
Antman

 

I never really suspected Adobe was causing your CPU usage anomoly - with the possible exception of context menu concerns, as it may have pertained to the sustained spike.

You could try using all Vista drivers for chipset and USB devices, but that approaches nonsense.

I wasn't guessing when I posted:

It is not often that I disagree with my esteemed colleagues.

The CPU spike is caused by activity over the USB, which requires CPU time. Yes, your wireless mouse is USB.

You are observing a driver issue, one that may or may not be corrected in the future with a driver update - whether that driver is for your chipset, wi-fi, mouse, or any other USB device. Most historical reports of this anomoly remain unsolved.

For those people experiencing a "normal" spike, you are also affected by this driver issue. Is it a problem? Apparently not.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Sep 2009   #102
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
I already uninstalled Adobe Acrobat, and the explorer.exe cpu usage issue is still there.

If this were a USB issue, why is it not happening in Vista?
Troubleshooting high processor usage is best done with a profiler. Unfortunately, there's still no x64 build of KernRate (which is an uber-utility), but XPerf can do something very similar, albeit with more pain involved.

If you're still keen to troubleshoot, you might want to download the x64 build of the Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT):

Windows Performance Analysis Developer Center

Let us know when you've installed it and I or someone else here can show you how to use it to find the bits of Explorer.exe which are supposedly chewing your processor(s) when you move the mouse.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2009   #103
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Oh ok.. So it's just a driver issue which I don't know which of those drivers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Sep 2009   #104
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
I already uninstalled Adobe Acrobat, and the explorer.exe cpu usage issue is still there.

If this were a USB issue, why is it not happening in Vista?
Troubleshooting high processor usage is best done with a profiler. Unfortunately, there's still no x64 build of KernRate (which is an uber-utility), but XPerf can do something very similar, albeit with more pain involved.

If you're still keen to troubleshoot, you might want to download the x64 build of the Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT):

Windows Performance Analysis Developer Center

Let us know when you've installed it and I or someone else here can show you how to use it to find the bits of Explorer.exe which are supposedly chewing your processor(s) when you move the mouse.

Thanks for the help :) I am keen in solving this.

Done installing it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2009   #105
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Thanks for the help :) I am keen in solving this.

Done installing it
- Get ready with that mouse.
- From an elevated (run as admin) command prompt: xperf on DiagEasy
- Start moving that mouse as fast as you can without accidentally throwing it out the window. Keep it going for at least 30 seconds. Note the start and end times as close as you can to the nearest second.
- On the same elevated command prompt: xperf d CpuGoingNuts.etl
- Start the XPerf utility (start menu) and load up that ETL file you just created.
- Use that foldaway control on the left to select counters which you believe to be relevant... or zip up the ETL file and upload it here - I'd like to take a look. (There's nothing personal in it unless you're running processes whose names you'd rather not reveal.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2009   #106
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

That's weird, when I type: xperf –on DiagEasy , I get an error of:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>xperf -on DiagEasy
xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exis
ts. (0xb7).

Why is that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2009   #107
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
That's weird, when I type: xperf on DiagEasy , I get an error of:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>xperf -on DiagEasy
xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exis
ts. (0xb7).

Why is that?
Probably because you ran it a second time with the "-on" switch without first stopping and dumping ("-d"). Use xperf -stop and then start it again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2009   #108
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
That's weird, when I type: xperf on DiagEasy , I get an error of:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>xperf -on DiagEasy
xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exis
ts. (0xb7).

Why is that?
Probably because you ran it a second time with the "-on" switch without first stopping and dumping ("-d"). Use xperf -stop and then start it again.

Done :) Here's the file:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2009   #109
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Sorry, my bad, the "DiagEasy" preset doesn't include something I need. Please do that one more time except start the logging this way instead:

xperf -on base

Then dump and save this way after reproing the high processor usage once again:

xperf -d baseProvider.etl
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2009   #110
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Sorry just replied now.

Here is the corrected etl:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Explorer.exe taking up 15-30% CPU usage when moving mou




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Firefox taking a lot of CPU Usage + Adobe Flash constantly crashing
hey everyone! i've been having this issue for a while now and well Firefox simply uses A LOT of CPU usage :cry: and my Adobe Flash keeps constantly crashing so often this had never happened before Things i've tried --------------- Used CCleaner to clean out everything on my browsers...
Browsers & Mail
Checking For Updates, taking forever w/ svchost.exe, high memory usage
I'm currently seeking help regarding the checking of updates on my computer. Checking for updates is already taking hours. It's been over a year since I have updated my computer. I decided to update it today as to make good use of the free time from work and to get the Windows 10 Upgrade...
Windows Updates & Activation
Moving country & taking PC with me in parts-would like opinion
I'm moving overseas and to make a long story short if I take my PC as is I will need an extra box, making this my 4th piece of luggage means an additional $300. It occurred to me however, that if I take it apart, and leave the box/case here then I could put all within my box. What do you guys think...
Hardware & Devices
CPU usage jumps to 50% when moving cursor around.
Good day everyone, I would just like to mention that this beautiful machine of mine is 5-6 years old, so I'd understand if it's beyond repair, but I'd like to see if this problem could be fixed anyway. For quite a while now, I've been experiencing some frame rate lag, whoever, it only lags...
Performance & Maintenance
CPU usage from 1 to 30% when moving the cursor
Hello all today I was bored so I randomly opened taskmanager and went to the performance-tab. My CPU usage was 30% in taskmanager when moving around my mouse cursor randomly (not opening anything, clicking anything etc). Then I had to do something downstairs, so went downstrairs with the...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+