Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Explorer.exe taking up 15-30% CPU usage when moving mou

19 Sep 2009   #131
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
EDIT: Hold on a tick.... I just realised something
Try these steps please and tell me what you see:

0) Fire up task manager and sort by the (badly named) "CPU" column under the processes tab. Put the task manager window somewhere out of the way on your monitor. Exit all apps, all windows, so that the task manager is the only thing on your task bar and you're looking at your (non-animated) desktop.

1) Move the mouse around on the desktop without going over the TM window - what process is consuming processor time?

2) Now start an Explorer window and go into a folder with lotsa little files. Move the pointer around over the files so the blue highlight bar moves under the pointer. What process is eating processor time?

3) Close the explorer window and open a browser instance - IE or FF. Go to a busy page with lots of elements on it. Don't click anything, just move the mouse around within that window. What process is eating processor?

It just struck me (before writing this response) that you really shouldn't be seeing explorer.exe as being responsible unless you're moving your mouse over an explorer window.

Can you confirm what happens on your machine during the steps above?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Sep 2009   #132
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
mouse movement DOESN'T add anything to the CPU usage.
Mouse movement always adds to CPU usage...how else do you think the computer will know where the mouse is if the CPU doesn't calculate it?

Btw you do not need to undervolt your processor. Windows is able to that by using Intel's Speedstep. Go into Power Management > Advance.
Intel's Speedstep throttles the CPU's FREQUENCY not the voltage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #133
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
EDIT: Hold on a tick.... I just realised something
Try these steps please and tell me what you see:

0) Fire up task manager and sort by the (badly named) "CPU" column under the processes tab. Put the task manager window somewhere out of the way on your monitor. Exit all apps, all windows, so that the task manager is the only thing on your task bar and you're looking at your (non-animated) desktop.

1) Move the mouse around on the desktop without going over the TM window - what process is consuming processor time?

2) Now start an Explorer window and go into a folder with lotsa little files. Move the pointer around over the files so the blue highlight bar moves under the pointer. What process is eating processor time?

3) Close the explorer window and open a browser instance - IE or FF. Go to a busy page with lots of elements on it. Don't click anything, just move the mouse around within that window. What process is eating processor?

It just struck me (before writing this response) that you really shouldn't be seeing explorer.exe as being responsible unless you're moving your mouse over an explorer window.

Can you confirm what happens on your machine during the steps above?

Answers:

1) explorer.exe is averaging at 10% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.

2) explorer.exe is averaging at 7% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.

3) iexplore.exe is averaging at 40% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Sep 2009   #134
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Answers:

1) explorer.exe is averaging at 10% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.

2) explorer.exe is averaging at 7% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.

3) iexplore.exe is averaging at 40% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.
(2) is normal, (1) is borderline, and (3) seems somewhat excessive - my IE does ~20% on a relatively busy page (www.smh.com.au).

At least it shows that your issue is not specific to explorer.exe. Any process whose window(s) is being pelted with WM_MOUSEMOVE messages will consume processor time to deal with the mouse movement in whatever way it sees fit.

What surprises me is that I cannot spot evidence of 3rd-party code or driver interference in your ETLs. Virtually all of that activity is in user-mode, and it's all expected and necessary: sending window messages, invoking window procedures, checking the owner of a particular rectangle... It's just that it all happens slower than it should, given your specs.

Obviously something improved around the time you removed RMclock because the utilisation dropped so drastically. If you're still encountering an unequivocal improvement when running in safe mode, I'd suggest a little basic safe mode troubleshooting:

Fire up MSCONFIG, choose a "diagnostic" startup, reboot... any improvement?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #135
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Answers:

1) explorer.exe is averaging at 10% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.

2) explorer.exe is averaging at 7% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.

3) iexplore.exe is averaging at 40% and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it drops to 0%.
(2) is normal, (1) is borderline, and (3) seems somewhat excessive - my IE does ~20% on a relatively busy page (www.smh.com.au).

At least it shows that your issue is not specific to explorer.exe. Any process whose window(s) is being pelted with WM_MOUSEMOVE messages will consume processor time to deal with the mouse movement in whatever way it sees fit.

What surprises me is that I cannot spot evidence of 3rd-party code or driver interference in your ETLs. Virtually all of that activity is in user-mode, and it's all expected and necessary: sending window messages, invoking window procedures, checking the owner of a particular rectangle... It's just that it all happens slower than it should, given your specs.

Obviously something improved around the time you removed RMclock because the utilisation dropped so drastically. If you're still encountering an unequivocal improvement when running in safe mode, I'd suggest a little basic safe mode troubleshooting:

Fire up MSCONFIG, choose a "diagnostic" startup, reboot... any improvement?
I'll try that now. So, this is just software problem right? Never with hardware?

EDIT: Tried Diagnostic mode, no improvement, moving the mouse in the desktop still yielded an average of 10% CPU usage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #136
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Fire up MSCONFIG, choose a "diagnostic" startup, reboot... any improvement?
I'll try that now. So, this is just software problem right? Never with hardware?
Depends on how you look at it. The only way that different safe mode behaviour would be compatible with a "broken hardware" diagnosis is if the different (simpler) software environment in safe mode somehow failed to expose a hardware flaw. In your case, the hardware may not be outright broken though...

My gut feeling is that your hardware is somehow getting throttled in normal mode, but not in safe mode. Another mechanism - just like RMclock which you've now removed - is getting invoked on startup in normal mode and causing the processor to go a little more comatose. If that wild guess is even remotely accurate, running the same benchmark in safe and normal modes should produce very different results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #137
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
EDIT: Tried Diagnostic mode, no improvement, moving the mouse in the desktop still yielded an average of 10% CPU usage.
I'd like to see just how your machine performs during simple tasks that have nothing to do with the mouse. Try this please...

Paste the following into a batch file, or just use the one I uploaded here:

Code:
@echo off
echo Starting...
echo |time |find "time is"
for /L %%i IN (1,1,100000) DO @echo %i >nul
echo Finished!
echo |time |find "time is"
Run that batch file in both safe and normal modes and paste back the results please. They'll look like this:

N:\>stressbat.bat
Starting...
The current time is: 20:55:15.93
Finished!
The current time is: 20:55:49.24
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #138
n8w1ng

 
 

ive noticed the same...i can get one of my cores to 100% just by simply movin my mouse cursor rly fast over my desktop....the process havin 100% cpu usage is...n the winner is: explorer.exe

the same thing is bein discussed here as well: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Seri...age/m-p/278283
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #139
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Did you modify your registry key labeled mousehovertime?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #140
n8w1ng

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Did you modify your registry key labeled mousehovertime?

no i havent...is that thing gonna fix it???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Explorer.exe taking up 15-30% CPU usage when moving mou




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Firefox taking a lot of CPU Usage + Adobe Flash constantly crashing
hey everyone! i've been having this issue for a while now and well Firefox simply uses A LOT of CPU usage :cry: and my Adobe Flash keeps constantly crashing so often this had never happened before Things i've tried --------------- Used CCleaner to clean out everything on my browsers...
Browsers & Mail
Checking For Updates, taking forever w/ svchost.exe, high memory usage
I'm currently seeking help regarding the checking of updates on my computer. Checking for updates is already taking hours. It's been over a year since I have updated my computer. I decided to update it today as to make good use of the free time from work and to get the Windows 10 Upgrade...
Windows Updates & Activation
Moving country & taking PC with me in parts-would like opinion
I'm moving overseas and to make a long story short if I take my PC as is I will need an extra box, making this my 4th piece of luggage means an additional $300. It occurred to me however, that if I take it apart, and leave the box/case here then I could put all within my box. What do you guys think...
Hardware & Devices
CPU usage jumps to 50% when moving cursor around.
Good day everyone, I would just like to mention that this beautiful machine of mine is 5-6 years old, so I'd understand if it's beyond repair, but I'd like to see if this problem could be fixed anyway. For quite a while now, I've been experiencing some frame rate lag, whoever, it only lags...
Performance & Maintenance
CPU usage from 1 to 30% when moving the cursor
Hello all today I was bored so I randomly opened taskmanager and went to the performance-tab. My CPU usage was 30% in taskmanager when moving around my mouse cursor randomly (not opening anything, clicking anything etc). Then I had to do something downstairs, so went downstrairs with the...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App