BSOD while logging in Normal Mode

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 32
    Windows 7 Professional x86
       #1

    BSOD while logging in Normal Mode


    Hi there. I'm new to these forums, but I'm having the same BSOD problem with Windows 7 Pro. I can go into Safe mode, but Normal mode will crash in seconds from logging in. Please, find enclosed my Minidump attached below this thread.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 15,030
    Windows 10 Home 64Bit
       #2

    Welcome to Seven Forums.

    Norton is a frequent cause of BSOD's. For a test, Please remove it using its removal tool from here: Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase
    Code:
    Start Menu\Programs\Norton 360	Public:Start Menu\Programs\Norton 360	Public
    Start Menu\Programs\Norton Identity Safe	Public:Start Menu\Programs\Norton Identity Safe	Public
    We recommended Microsoft Security Essentials from a strict BSOD perspective. Is most compatible & provides most stability compared to other antivirus app/Internet Security Software.

       Warning
    Do not start the free trial of Malware Bytes; remember to deselect that option when prompted.


    Run a full scan with both (separately) once downloaded, installed and updated.

    Please remove the following software:
    Code:
    Start Menu\Programs\Free Window Registry Repair	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown:Start Menu\Programs\Free Window Registry Repair	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown
    Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown:Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown
    Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown:Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown
    This software is a known cause of BSOD's. The windows 7 operating system does not require these registry cleaning software. They often tune-down rather than tune-up and can wreck the OS beyond repair. Microsoft have improved Windows 7 significantly and it is much better at organising and optimising itself than its predecessors. Check this, this and this thread for evidence.

    If you feel the need to use a registry cleaning or optimisation software, most of us recommend the use of CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download but make sure you back up the registry before making letting ccleaner delete anything.
    Perform a System File Check to check the integrity of all protected Windows 7:
    • Click Start Menu
    • Click All Programs
    • Click Accessories
    • Right click Command Prompt
    • Click Run as administrator
    • Type
    • Code:
      sfc /scannow
    • and press Enter

    Full tutorial here:

    Check your hard drive(s) for errors by running chkdsk:

    Number down items at start-up. Keep only your anti-virus, this also improves the time for logging into windows.
    • Click on the Start button
    • Type “msconfig (without quotes), click the resulting link. It will open the System Configuration window.
    • Select the “Startup” tab.
    • Deselect all items other than the antivirus.
    • Apply > OK
    • Accept then restart.

    Full tutorial:

    Let us know the results and further BSOD reports.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 32
    Windows 7 Professional x86
    Thread Starter
       #3

    koolkat77 said:
    Welcome to Seven Forums.

    Norton is a frequent cause of BSOD's. For a test, Please remove it using its removal tool from here: Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase
    Code:
    Start Menu\Programs\Norton 360	Public:Start Menu\Programs\Norton 360	Public
    Start Menu\Programs\Norton Identity Safe	Public:Start Menu\Programs\Norton Identity Safe	Public
    We recommended Microsoft Security Essentials from a strict BSOD perspective. Is most compatible & provides most stability compared to other antivirus app/Internet Security Software.

       Warning
    Do not start the free trial of Malware Bytes; remember to deselect that option when prompted.


    Run a full scan with both (separately) once downloaded, installed and updated.

    Please remove the following software:
    Code:
    Start Menu\Programs\Free Window Registry Repair	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown:Start Menu\Programs\Free Window Registry Repair	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown
    Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown:Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown
    Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown:Start Menu\Programs\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)	GLBrown-PC\G.L. Brown
    This software is a known cause of BSOD's. The windows 7 operating system does not require these registry cleaning software. They often tune-down rather than tune-up and can wreck the OS beyond repair. Microsoft have improved Windows 7 significantly and it is much better at organising and optimising itself than its predecessors. Check this, this and this thread for evidence.

    If you feel the need to use a registry cleaning or optimisation software, most of us recommend the use of CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download but make sure you back up the registry before making letting ccleaner delete anything.
    Perform a System File Check to check the integrity of all protected Windows 7:
    • Click Start Menu
    • Click All Programs
    • Click Accessories
    • Right click Command Prompt
    • Click Run as administrator
    • Type
    • Code:
      sfc /scannow
    • and press Enter

    Full tutorial here:

    Check your hard drive(s) for errors by running chkdsk:

    Number down items at start-up. Keep only your anti-virus, this also improves the time for logging into windows.
    • Click on the Start button
    • Type “msconfig (without quotes), click the resulting link. It will open the System Configuration window.
    • Select the “Startup” tab.
    • Deselect all items other than the antivirus.
    • Apply > OK
    • Accept then restart.

    Full tutorial:

    Let us know the results and further BSOD reports.
    I've got CCleaner already on my PC, did a sfc /scannow last night in Safe Mode and removed Norton 360 and that eventially worked. However, I still have Norton Identity Safe on my PC and I cannot remove it even with the Norton Removal Tool. What can I do about that?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 15,030
    Windows 10 Home 64Bit
       #4

    Are you able to uninstall from add/remove programs?
    Uninstall or change a program
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 15,030
    Windows 10 Home 64Bit
       #5

    If you believe your problem is solved please mark your thread as solved:
       Tip

    • If your problem is solved please use the Mark this thread as solved link at the top of your thread or down on the left corner

      My Computer


  6. Posts : 32
    Windows 7 Professional x86
    Thread Starter
       #6

    koolkat77 said:
    Are you able to uninstall from add/remove programs?
    Uninstall or change a program
    Yes, I'm able to uninstall and I did uninstall Norton 360, but now I have a new BSOD and this time, it involves Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio sound card. I was just repairing the sound card in Normal mode because the sound went off 15 minutes before I logged on here and suddenly, the BSOD came up. I had to repair my sound card with the driver CD in Safe Mode. My new Dump file's attached below.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 15,030
    Windows 10 Home 64Bit
       #7

    Code:
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
    *                                                                             *
    *******************************************************************************
    
    Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.
    
    BugCheck 131, {1, a, 0, 0}
    
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for P17.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for P17.sys
    Probably caused by : P17.sys ( P17+275ac )
    
    Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------
    
    1: kd> !analyze -v
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
    *                                                                             *
    *******************************************************************************
    
    INVALID_EXTENDED_PROCESSOR_STATE (131)
    Invalid combination of parameters was detected while saving or restoring
    extended processor state.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000001, An attempt to save or restore extended extended state was made
    	at IRQL higher than DISPATCH_LEVEL.
    Arg2: 0000000a, The IRQL.
    Arg3: 00000000
    Arg4: 00000000
    
    Debugging Details:
    ------------------
    
    
    OVERLAPPED_MODULE: Address regions for 'P17' and 'P17.sys' overlap
    
    CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1
    
    DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
    
    BUGCHECK_STR:  0x131
    
    PROCESS_NAME:  System
    
    CURRENT_IRQL:  a
    
    LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from 82c9ef35 to 82c9e9b2
    
    STACK_TEXT:  
    9d534abc 82c9ef35 00000003 00000000 9d534b00 nt!KeSaveExtendedProcessorState+0x9a
    9d534ad4 922485ac 9d534b00 86eee040 9d534b24 nt!KeSaveFloatingPointState+0x14
    WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
    9d534ae4 92262d2a 9d534b00 9d534b23 00000000 P17+0x275ac
    9d534b24 9225a8b5 86eee018 9225bee8 866e1f68 P17+0x41d2a
    9d534b38 9224caae 00000001 00000000 866e1f28 P17+0x398b5
    9d534b50 9224cc7a 00000001 880db428 866e1010 P17+0x2baae
    9d534b74 92249d1c 866e1010 880db428 866e1040 P17+0x2bc7a
    9d534ba4 922484b1 866e1f28 85a87730 9d534bd8 P17+0x28d1c
    9d534bb4 922484da 00000002 92237832 880db428 P17+0x274b1
    9d534bd8 92223d31 880db3d0 0000c8a0 9d534c2c P17+0x274da
    9d534c00 92222a9e 880db428 880db3d0 0000c8a0 P17+0x2d31
    9d534c58 922223bf ff0db3d0 85fb560a 80c5fc78 P17+0x1a9e
    9d534cb0 923906b8 86c5fc78 85e80938 00000000 P17+0x13bf
    9d534cd8 92390655 00000000 00000000 86c5fc78 portcls!PnpStartDevice+0x4f
    9d534cec 82e296a1 86c5fc78 abb90198 85b26598 portcls!EnqueuedIoWorkItemCallback+0x24
    9d534d00 82c9130b 86d8f110 00000000 85b26598 nt!IopProcessWorkItem+0x23
    9d534d50 82e1e1b3 80000001 d582178d 00000000 nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x10d
    9d534d90 82cc49d9 82c911fe 80000001 00000000 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x9e
    00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiThreadStartup+0x19
    
    
    STACK_COMMAND:  kb
    
    FOLLOWUP_IP: 
    P17+275ac
    922485ac ??              ???
    
    SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  2
    
    SYMBOL_NAME:  P17+275ac
    
    FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner
    
    MODULE_NAME: P17
    
    IMAGE_NAME:  P17.sys
    
    DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  473bb3b9
    
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x131_P17+275ac
    
    BUCKET_ID:  0x131_P17+275ac
    
    Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------
    
    1: kd> lmvm P17
    start    end        module name
    92221000 92376000   P17      T (no symbols)           
        Loaded symbol image file: P17.sys
        Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\P17.sys
        Image name: P17.sys
        Timestamp:        Thu Nov 15 08:49:29 2007 (473BB3B9)
        CheckSum:         00122FE6
        ImageSize:        00155000
        Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Its quite old, try updating drivers: Driver Reference Table - P17.sys
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 32
    Windows 7 Professional x86
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Well, I've changed Sound Blaster cards. I now have Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit installed and I've also installed Microsoft Security Essentials a week back. But, how can I remove Norton Identity Safe without wrecking my computer manually? The Norton Removal Tool won't even touch that piece of software and there's no uninstaller for Identity Safe, I'm open to suggestions.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 15,030
    Windows 10 Home 64Bit
       #9

    On which browser(s) is it installed?

    Have you checked the extensions? Try removing from there.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 32
    Windows 7 Professional x86
    Thread Starter
       #10

    koolkat77 said:
    On which browser(s) is it installed?

    Have you checked the extensions? Try removing from there.
    The browser is IE 10 which it is installed, but now I have a new problem involving the Page File. Attachment's below.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:53.
Find Us