ntoskrnl.exe BSOD Randomly every few days

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

  1. Posts : 45
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #111

    Just a quick update. It has been 2 nights and no BSOD, therefore I can confirm that my system is now stable. The problem either lies with the GPU itself or the mobo's PCIE slot. I will confirm this by testing a replacement GPU. Thanks to everyone who helped, it took alot of time and effort from you guys and I appreciate it. Thanks especially to essenbe who put alot of effort into this.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 26,823
    Windows 11 Pro
       #112

    Broken Hyoid said:
    Just a quick update. It has been 2 nights and no BSOD, therefore I can confirm that my system is now stable. The problem either lies with the GPU itself or the mobo's PCIE slot. I will confirm this by testing a replacement GPU. Thanks to everyone who helped, it took alot of time and effort from you guys and I appreciate it. Thanks especially to essenbe who put alot of effort into this.
    That's no problem at all. That's what we are here for. Just keep us posted on the progress. Inquiring minds want to know.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 45
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #113

    Hi,
    A quick update on my part sorry for the delay, took quite a while for me to get my hands on a replacement GPU.

    Summary of what happened:

    -Random BSODs occuring daily multiple times
    -Did all tests, nothing conclusive
    -Took out GPU, BSODs stopped
    -Added different GPU, BSOD occured again
    -Currently have no GPU in my pc and will leave it like this for 3 days straight, ensuring the system is stable.

    So I assume if no BSODs occur now, that it is my PCIE slot that is faulty, and I have to RMA my mobo completely? No way around this, or anything else I can do?
      My Computer

  4.    #114

    Wait to hear what Steve says.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 26,823
    Windows 11 Pro
       #115

    As I see it, if you got BSODs on 2 cards and none with the on board graphics, It's a mobo or PSU issue. But, please run the SF diagnostic again. Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 45
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #116

    Okay another twist... BSOD just happened using on board graphics. So I don't know if this means if the mobo isn't at fault, or if it still is a faulty mobo that has a faulty PCIE as well as faulty on board graphics. I ran the PC on just on board graphics a couple weeks ago aswell and it didnt BSOD for 3 days straight, I thought that meant it was stable, but I guess it was just a lucky(or unlucky) coincidence. BSODs have now happened with 2 different GPUs and on board graphics.

    Attached are the dump files. They are all the generic Stop 0x24 BSODs I think, and there are lots of them. Don't know how much use they will be to you, they didn't tell us anything before. here they are anyway.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 26,823
    Windows 11 Pro
       #117

    OK, the dump files showed nothing other than 0X124, a generic hardware fault. Lets try this. First, create a restore point, to enable you to get back to where you are right now, if needed System Restore Point - Create then

    Enable driver verifier but only enable the options: Standard settings, IRP logging and Force pending I/O requests step 3.

    Enable Driver Verifier to monitor the drivers. Follow this Tutorial for instructions:
    Driver Verifier -Enable and Disable
    Run Driver Verifier for 24 hours or the occurrence of the next crash, whichever is earlier.

       Information

    https://www.sevenforums.com/images/infosmall1.png Information

    We use Driver Verifier as it puts a stress on the drivers, and so it makes the unstable drivers crash. This should flag the driver responsible in the dump file.
    It

    Driver Verifier will make the system laggy, this is normal so don't worry.

    Before enabling DV, make sure that you have earlier System restore points made in your computer. make a System Restore Point Manually

    If there are no points, make one
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 45
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #118

    essenbe said:
    OK, the dump files showed nothing other than 0X124, a generic hardware fault. Lets try this. First, create a restore point, to enable you to get back to where you are right now, if needed System Restore Point - Create then

    Enable driver verifier but only enable the options: Standard settings, IRP logging and Force pending I/O requests step 3.

    Enable Driver Verifier to monitor the drivers. Follow this Tutorial for instructions:
    Driver Verifier -Enable and Disable
    Run Driver Verifier for 24 hours or the occurrence of the next crash, whichever is earlier.

       Information

    https://www.sevenforums.com/images/infosmall1.png Information

    We use Driver Verifier as it puts a stress on the drivers, and so it makes the unstable drivers crash. This should flag the driver responsible in the dump file.
    It

    Driver Verifier will make the system laggy, this is normal so don't worry.

    Before enabling DV, make sure that you have earlier System restore points made in your computer. make a System Restore Point Manually

    If there are no points, make one
    I already ran driver verifier for 48 hours with my original GPU in, and it had no effect on the BSODs, they occured at roughly the same frequency. Do you want me to run it again while using on board graphics? The only driver difference between the first time and now would be the on board graphics driver.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 26,823
    Windows 11 Pro
       #119

    Yes, try it again now that you are using on board graphics. It's easier than RMAing the board. Certainly worth a try.
    Last edited by essenbe; 16 Jul 2014 at 19:13.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 45
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #120

    essenbe said:
    Yes, try it again now that you are using on board graphics. It's easier than RMAing the board. Certainly worth a try.
    Okay I ran driver verifier for 24hrs roughly and it didnt make much of a difference, there was a slight increase in the number of BSODs(the errors were the same 0x124) but then again it is probably coincidence, nothing major. I re did the Memtest for my RAM(7 passes 0 errors), and prime95 for CPU(test ran 2 hrs, temp stayed stable and all cores were fine). I had replaced the HDD prior to this as during the tests it was found to have bad sectors, so I RMA'd it, but that clearly wasn't the cause of the BSODs and was just a red herring. I carried out the SeaTools for DOS short and long test on the replacement HDD now and it passed both. And for the GPU, since both GPUs and on board graphics caused the BSODs it isn't the GPU either. So unless the tests have been false negatives or just not testing the right things we have ruled out CPU, HDD, GPU, RAM. That leaves Mobo and PSU. I dont see any way to test either, so I think my best bet now is to RMA the mobo and see if that fixes it, I am leaning towards the mobo being the problem rather than the PSU anyway, the voltages seem adequate. Thoughts?
      My Computer


 
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:18.
Find Us