Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: General Comments

27 Sep 2009   #1
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 
General Comments

Thank you for the detailed explanation.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Sep 2009   #2
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Oh, that's OK. It didn't take long. I copied it from the tutorial over on vistax64.com and did a find/replace for the word "Vista"

EDIT: I'll aim to expand it a bit over time, especially if people are interested in specifics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

H2SO4

thanks for a great intro to debugging
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Sep 2009   #4
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello H2SO4.


It would be best if the other posts were removed from this and the thread locked so that it won't get filled up with extraneous posts like this one, that way the info won't be hard to find in all the extra posts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #5
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Why not just have John move it to the tutorial section ... Its that good!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #6
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I copied it from the tutorial over on vistax64.com and did a find/replace for the word "Vista"
Which software ?

Missed one:

Quote:
Even More Debugger Trickery For The Really InterestedMinidumps can also easily reveal basic information about the Windows version, service pack level, time of the crash, and system uptime:1: kd> vertarget
Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista Kernel Version 6001 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x64
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #7
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I copied it from the tutorial over on vistax64.com and did a find/replace for the word "Vista"
Which software ?

Missed one:

Quote:
Even More Debugger Trickery For The Really InterestedMinidumps can also easily reveal basic information about the Windows version, service pack level, time of the crash, and system uptime:1: kd> vertarget
Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista Kernel Version 6001 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x64
Yeah, I left that one on purpose - I didn't think it would detract from the validity of the example.

Also, it's considered extremely bad form to mess with debugger spew before presenting it as supposedly just-copied-and-pasted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #8
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid
It would be best if the other posts were removed from this and the thread locked so that it won't get filled up with extraneous posts like this one, that way the info won't be hard to find in all the extra posts.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews
Why not just have John move it to the tutorial section ... Its that good!
Thanks guys. I don't mind what the moderators and admins choose to do with it, though in some ways I'd rather keep it here rather than see it go to "tutorials". It may be more visible to those who come to this section because they've got a problem, rather than because they're looking for a tutorial on debugging.

As far as extraneous posts (like this one) and locking are concerned, I imagine that would have to be handled by a moderator? It would be nice if the thread could remain at least partially interactive, so that questions could be asked (and maybe even answered), and others may contribute. Perhaps the non-core posts could simply be culled every so often?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #9
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Roger that!

Its just that being w7, noobs might have difficulty following,

and become confused with dinosaur terminology.

Nobody's gonna check 'symbol references',

APIs in .h, or anything like that...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #10
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Roger that!

Its just that being w7, noobs might have difficulty following,

and become confused with dinosaur terminology.

Nobody's gonna check 'symbol references',

APIs in .h, or anything like that...
I see your point. Done. I have angered the gods of debugging by editing that first post to show Win7 as the name of the OS being debugged.

To punish me, some 7th-Dan Pedant is now going to come out of the woodwork to point out that the information is inconsistent because the modules list doesn't match the preferred load addresses for Win 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 General Comments




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD (During general browsing, file explorer, general use)
Hello I have received a BSOD numerous times. The first series of blue screens would happen almost on a daily basis. I resolved that frequent occurrence by changing the SATA cable on my SSD. I experienced one BSOD today, after being free of them for a month. I do not know if this BSOD is related to...
BSOD Help and Support
comments on the IQQ L88 MP3 player
http://i.imgur.com/tJfYFyV.jpg I know a lot of people just use their phones or tablets as MP3 players now and the market for solo players has dwindled, but I suppose there's still a market for separate players. The downside is, a lot of the cheap players you find on eBay tend to be less than...
Chillout Room
Comments for GTA V?
Are you sure GTA v will come to pc soon?
Gaming
General Comments-Windows Vista
Gentlepeople: I rent a computer in a clothing store in Hollywood,California,U.S.A. This has been going on for about 2 1/2 years. But,recently the best computer (and the 4 others) were overhauled....some kind of routine re-formatting due to too many people using "porno" sites (which infected the...
General Discussion
Hmm... Comments?
BBC NEWS | Technology | Windows 7 borrowed 'look' of Mac
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App