Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: strange reacurring BSOD! HELP IF YOU SEE THIS PLZ!!!

16 Dec 2009   #31
sman5922

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Please run the hard drive diagnostic then.
Hello again, sorry I haven't replied. I did not run the HDD diagnostic but I would like to say that I havent BSOD in at least a week I don't know what I did or if I even did anything. With my luck though as soon as I post this i'll BSOD again. Ill keep working on this laptop and post back later if I get another BSOD or if i ever find a permanent solution. Thank you everybody for all your help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Dec 2009   #32
sman5922

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 
New theory.

Hi again. Ok, the crashes have slimmed down to about once a week. I have a new theory, I think there is just one corrupt file in my system and everytime I somehow touch that file my system crashes. I think this because the last two times my system crash, I was defragging with deffraggler and the second time I was scanning with windows defender. I think as soon as the scanners scan or move the file that is corrupt I crash. Here is one minidump please analyze it and tell me anything new and interesting. Thanks guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #33
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

No minidump present.
That's a good theory - but that's the easy part.
Figuring out which of the hundreds of thousands of file is at fault is the challenge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2009   #34
sman5922

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
No minidump present.
That's a good theory - but that's the easy part.
Figuring out which of the hundreds of thousands of file is at fault is the challenge.
Sorry I just realized that i forgot to upload the minidump. Here are two because as I was checking for any responses last night it crashed again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #35
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Please start by running these hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link)

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Malware (read the details at the link)

The BSOD's don't point to anything in particular - but NTFS.SYS is present in the stack text of one of the dumps. So, please try this next:
Quote:
CHKDSK /R
Run CHKDSK /R from an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt.
When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run. It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors. See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

Elevated Command Prompt
Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

CHKDSK LogFile
Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry.
Copy/paste the results into your next post.
Lot's of older drivers, please update them:
Code:
FwLnk.sys    Sun Nov 19 09:11:12 2006
rimmptsk.sys Wed Nov 05 09:20:23 2008
rimsptsk.sys Sat Oct 11 02:56:02 2008
rixdptsk.sys Tue Jul 29 02:41:35 2008
tdcmdpst.sys Tue Oct 17 22:50:02 2006
UVCFTR_S.SYS Thu Jun 26 04:25:19 2008
wacommousefilter.sys Fri Feb 16 13:12:29 2007
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #36
sman5922

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Please start by running these hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link)

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Malware (read the details at the link)

The BSOD's don't point to anything in particular - but NTFS.SYS is present in the stack text of one of the dumps. So, please try this next:
Quote:
CHKDSK /R
Run CHKDSK /R from an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt.
When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run. It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors. See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

Elevated Command Prompt
Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

CHKDSK LogFile
Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry.
Copy/paste the results into your next post.
Lot's of older drivers, please update them:
Code:
FwLnk.sys    Sun Nov 19 09:11:12 2006
rimmptsk.sys Wed Nov 05 09:20:23 2008
rimsptsk.sys Sat Oct 11 02:56:02 2008
rixdptsk.sys Tue Jul 29 02:41:35 2008
tdcmdpst.sys Tue Oct 17 22:50:02 2006
UVCFTR_S.SYS Thu Jun 26 04:25:19 2008
wacommousefilter.sys Fri Feb 16 13:12:29 2007
I know you give support to many many people, so its ok if you forgot, but I basically ran and did all these things. I'm just going around in circles so I'm going to do a clean install, could you answer some questions about that?

1.Since I used an upgrade disc to upgrade vista to Win7 and already used the product key will doing a clean install still work with that same disc and that same product key?

2.Doing a custom install, will it let me reformat my drive so I start as new as possible?

3.Any other tips before I do this clean install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #37
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Thanks for understanding - I often get confused after running so many BSOD's.
I haven't seen any confirmation that you've run the Hard Drive diagnostics - please run them if you haven't already.

Yes, you can do a clean install with the same product key. At work what we do is we boot from the DVD to install using the Custom option (that'll let you format the hard drive). We DO NOT type in the product key when installing at this point.

Then, once you're in Windows, run Setup from the DVD and use the Upgrade option. Then type in the product key this time and it'll finish with no issues.

Final tips for the clean install - let Windows check for compatibility and let it install all updates. Don't use Windows Updates or Device Manager to install any drivers. Don't install any Vista or earlier drivers - only drivers designed for Windows 7.

Once that's done, check Device Manager for any problem devices. If you find any that don't have Windows 7 drivers - post back here. Then select a Windows 7 compatible antivirus and install/update that.

Then wait for a while before adding anything else. I'd suggest at least doubling the longest time you've had between BSOD's. If you get BSOD's, upload them so we can have a look at them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #38
sman5922

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
Thanks for understanding - I often get confused after running so many BSOD's.
I haven't seen any confirmation that you've run the Hard Drive diagnostics - please run them if you haven't already.

Yes, you can do a clean install with the same product key. At work what we do is we boot from the DVD to install using the Custom option (that'll let you format the hard drive). We DO NOT type in the product key when installing at this point.

Then, once you're in Windows, run Setup from the DVD and use the Upgrade option. Then type in the product key this time and it'll finish with no issues.

Final tips for the clean install - let Windows check for compatibility and let it install all updates. Don't use Windows Updates or Device Manager to install any drivers. Don't install any Vista or earlier drivers - only drivers designed for Windows 7.

Once that's done, check Device Manager for any problem devices. If you find any that don't have Windows 7 drivers - post back here. Then select a Windows 7 compatible antivirus and install/update that.

Then wait for a while before adding anything else. I'd suggest at least doubling the longest time you've had between BSOD's. If you get BSOD's, upload them so we can have a look at them.
The HDD diagnostic would check if I had a failing HDD? I really doubt it because no BSOD in vista its definately a software issue. Also, there are no Toshiba HDD diagnostics on that page. So what you do is install windows 7 twice?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #39
usasma
Microsoft MVP

 
 

A hard drive diagnostic would tell if there are hardware issues with the hard drive. If you've got a Toshiba hard drive, try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test to test the hard drive.

A BSOD is an error that could cause damage to your system. A faulty hard drive is one of the possible causes. The BSOD's are not necessarily software issues.

Yes, you install Windows 7 twice - once as a custom install without the product key, then once as an upgrade with the product key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2009   #40
sman5922

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
 
 

Ok I burned the Hitachi DFT onto a CD. I need more instructions. Do I just run it like the memtestx86 or what? How long do I run if for. The instructions on their website are confusing the hell out of me. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 strange reacurring BSOD! HELP IF YOU SEE THIS PLZ!!!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I think I have a reacurring Flash crash. I think.
I regularly get a shockwave crash when using MLBTV w/ Chrome. I far more occasionally get a screen lock crash when playing YouTube videos. Screan locks, but audio continues for sometimes quite a while. I eventually reset. I do regularly get the tuning program to my graphics card (GeoForce 9800...
Browsers & Mail
Strange BSOD, W7-64
Hi all. Sorry for my English. I have serious strange problem. I have two HP DC7800 workstations at home (win7-64bit, e8400, hd6570, 4gb, one 500gb hdd, other 630gb hdd). So, these computers hard working every day (photoshop, premiere, outlook, etc.). And..... 5 days ago i have had very bad...
BSOD Help and Support
Strange BSOD
Just formatted it today, Hardware is about 3 months old. Is Windows 7 . . . - x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 64 - the original installed OS on the system? Windows 7 - an OEM or full retail version? OEM - OEM = came pre-installed on system - Full Retail = you purchased it from retailer - What is the...
BSOD Help and Support
Strange BSoD
I was trying to run a video on netflix streaming, but firefox was not playing the audio. So I started IE9 and the audio ran, but after a few min I got a BSoD. I hope I have everything I need posted in the attachment :) ps: it is win 7 pro X64 with CPU installed December and mobo January
BSOD Help and Support
Strange BSOD
Hello, I am new to the forum. I can see that everyone here knows what they are talking about :D But anyway, for some strange reason I have been getting the BSOD when exiting any graphically intense games. I am not sure why, I believe everything is updated completely, and this issue has just begun....
BSOD Help and Support
Reacurring issues when booting
I have a rather unique situation I think. I have installed a clean version of Win7 Ultimate on my desktop. Now everything the system boots up I get two reacurring issues: 1) Setup is preparing your computer for first use 2) System Preparartion Tool 3.14 System Preparation tool...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App