Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hard Lock + "screech of death"

12 Feb 2010   #1
n00bsauce

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 
Hard Lock + "screech of death"

I've been having hard locks on my system with Win7 pro 64 bit. They happen randomly, no warning, just instant lock up requiring me to hit the reset button. When the system freezes, I also get a "screeching" sound coming from my speakers. sometimes my computer will go days without locking up, other times I get 5 in one day. It can happen while browsing the web or while gaming. Nothing is overclocked, and my temps are good. I've also replaced nearly every piece of hardware in my system. Here's what I've tried:

Reinstalled windows
Reinstalled all drivers (downloaded directly from mfg website)
Ran Prime95 blend overnight with no problems
Ran memtest 3+ passes no errors
PSU rails test good
RMA'd motherboard
Tried different RAM timings, (mfg recommended, motherboard "failsafe" and everything in between)
Tried two different cpu's (x3 720 and x2 250)
Also tried swapping out video cards and hard drive.

My event log shows event ID 41 "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".
It also shows two errors which I'm not sure if they are the cause of my problem, I haven't been able to find out much about them with any searches.

Sidebyside Event ID 63 and
CAPI2 Event ID 4107

Thanks for any help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Feb 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Welcome!

What brand hard disk do you have? Try downloading the manufacturer's diagnostic software and scanning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #3
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by n00bsauce View Post
I've been having hard locks on my system with Win7 pro 64 bit. They happen randomly, no warning, just instant lock up requiring me to hit the reset button. When the system freezes, I also get a "screeching" sound coming from my speakers. sometimes my computer will go days without locking up, other times I get 5 in one day. It can happen while browsing the web or while gaming. Nothing is overclocked, and my temps are good. I've also replaced nearly every piece of hardware in my system. Here's what I've tried:

Reinstalled windows
Reinstalled all drivers (downloaded directly from mfg website)
Ran Prime95 blend overnight with no problems
Ran memtest 3+ passes no errors
PSU rails test good
RMA'd motherboard
Tried different RAM timings, (mfg recommended, motherboard "failsafe" and everything in between)
Tried two different cpu's (x3 720 and x2 250)
Also tried swapping out video cards and hard drive.

My event log shows event ID 41 "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".
It also shows two errors which I'm not sure if they are the cause of my problem, I haven't been able to find out much about them with any searches.

Sidebyside Event ID 63 and
CAPI2 Event ID 4107

Thanks for any help.
Take a look at this message. Seems someone had a similiar problem and was solved by zigzag3143


https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...crashes-2.html


You need to go to control panel>system>advanced system settings>Performance>settings>data execution prevention.

The datat execution prevention should be on for all programs. IS it?

The event viewer event code is 1000 and source 100. that is usually a memory overflow caused by either DEP being off or a virus. Do you have a anti virus running?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Feb 2010   #4
n00bsauce

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Welcome!

What brand hard disk do you have? Try downloading the manufacturer's diagnostic software and scanning.
Its in my system specs, Western Digital 640gb black, seems odd that I would get the same crash with two different hard drives though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #5
n00bsauce

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post
Take a look at this message. Seems someone had a similiar problem and was solved by zigzag3143


https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...crashes-2.html


You need to go to control panel>system>advanced system settings>Performance>settings>data execution prevention.

The datat execution prevention should be on for all programs. IS it?

The event viewer event code is 1000 and source 100. that is usually a memory overflow caused by either DEP being off or a virus. Do you have a anti virus running?
Right now it is turned on for essential windows programs only, I should turn it on for all programs?

Yeah, I'm running MS Security Essentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #6
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by n00bsauce View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post
Take a look at this message. Seems someone had a similiar problem and was solved by zigzag3143


https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...crashes-2.html


You need to go to control panel>system>advanced system settings>Performance>settings>data execution prevention.

The datat execution prevention should be on for all programs. IS it?

The event viewer event code is 1000 and source 100. that is usually a memory overflow caused by either DEP being off or a virus. Do you have a anti virus running?
Right now it is turned on for essential windows programs only, I should turn it on for all programs?

Yeah, I'm running MS Security Essentials.

Yes. Turn it on for all programs. Can't hurt and we will only see in a day or so.
Keep us posted if it solved your problem.
Good Luck
Iggy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2010   #7
n00bsauce

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I was hoping it was fixed but win7 locked up on me again today. Same as before, no warning, just instant freeze + screeching/buzzing sound from the speakers requiring me to hit the reset button. Any other ideas on what could be causing this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #8
n00bsauce

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I'm thinking that the CAPI2 errors might be the cause of my freezes. The time stamps in my event log seem to coincide with the freezes.

The error is CAPI2 event ID 4107:
"Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority."

I've downloaded authrootstl.cab however when I double click it asks for an install location, anyone know where this is supposed to go?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #9
n00bsauce

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

bump back to first page
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #10
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Here you go: WD Support > Downloads > SATA & SAS > WD RE3

Download those Data Lifeguard tools and run an extended test on your hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hard Lock + "screech of death"




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized"
Hi guys. I'm new here. I've tried to read all the discussion about how to fix the unallocated hard drive but I just can't understand it as the cases were pretty much different than I'm facing of. Here's my problem. Yesterday my external hard drive seems normal, everything is fine, until...
Hardware & Devices
Hard Disk can't read in "my computer ", "initialized",I/O device error
I have a big problem here, I have used my hard disk for 9month, Yesterday when I watched movie on the half way, My hard disk suddenly disfuntion, And I thought my laptop problem due to always lagging so I restart my computer. But after that I can't read my hard disk (WD)in my computer. It can...
Hardware & Devices
"Cannot lock current drive" (to do chkdsk scan in cmdprompt).
"Cannot lock current drive" ...and therefore I must schedule scan on reboot. So how do I lock current drive to go ahead with scan without rebooting first?
General Discussion
bsod copying files from "c" to "d" drive and system lock ups
Hi New installation of windows 7 ultimate 32bit and on trying to copy a 38gb folder from c drive to d drive, pc gives bsod. Lately playing world of tanks is resulting in system lock ups,please can anyone help Frosty
BSOD Help and Support
Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize
I used a DriveWire - Universal Hard Drive Adapter (IDE / PATA / SATA to USB HDD Adapter) to hook up A 3.5" Hard Drive (Samsung model HD502HJ) to my desktop in an attempt to get my wife's files off her old desktop machine and merge them into mine. It all started off fine, the drive was recognized...
Hardware & Devices
Screech Of Death
My computer is an Acer Aspire 5732Z,I have updated all of my drivers and I have cleaned my Registry multiple times. The Problem I am having that I am still having after doing all of that is whenever I play audio/video/games/etc my computer will randomly get the "Screech Of Death" for 2-5...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App