Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2X2gb ram = bsod

14 Feb 2010   #11
Alexa W

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote:
Hi Alexa

The cause of this one is still memory. when you buy memory you have to buy a matched pair. Even if the single stick has the same exact specs it may not work In this case they dont. I strongly suspect either the ram or a bad ram slot

Usual causes: Defective hardware (particularly memory - but not just RAM), Faulty system service, Antivirus, Device driver, NTFS corruption, BIOS


I would
download memtestx86 and run for 5 passes. You may have to do it 1 stick at a time but first do it with all memory in.

Run a system file check
type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>sfc scannow

If you are overclocking STOP

If you need help let us know

Ken
I ran memtest on the original stick and it runs just fine i ran it till 50% on top bar. with both sticks in, it gets to 0% at 35% and freezes, or comes up with various errors and i have to restart the pc.
Im guessing i run the system file check with both sticks in... i doubt it would last long enough with the second stick in to get there :/

I have not overclocked. I was originally using something else for antivirus, but i thought that kept bringing up the errors, so i changed to avast.
My bios is up to date, and as far as im aware my harddrive is perfectly fine.
its a pretty new pc, besides the hdd, built at the end of january.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Feb 2010   #12
Alexa W

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote:
=ickymay;567429
thats the chipset number of the ram , do you know the part number it's likely to start M3.............. , im trying to find the timings the ram works at and see if it matches up with the bios on the mobo

cant find the name, but its currently timing at 400MHz
does it need to go up to 800MHz? how would i do that?
also how come slot 4 has more timings than slot 2?
btw, slot 4 is the 'faulty' one

also i tried running sfc /scannow, but it says i need to be an administrator, when im the only user... tried running in task manager, the cmd promt flashes up for a second and thats it...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #13
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alexa W View Post
Quote:
=ickymay;567429
thats the chipset number of the ram , do you know the part number it's likely to start M3.............. , im trying to find the timings the ram works at and see if it matches up with the bios on the mobo

cant find the name, but its currently timing at 400MHz
does it need to go up to 800MHz? how would i do that?
also how come slot 4 has more timings than slot 2?
btw, slot 4 is the 'faulty' one

also i tried running sfc /scannow, but it says i need to be an administrator, when im the only user... tried running in task manager, the cmd promt flashes up for a second and thats it...
the SPD tabs on CpuZ will show more relevant info

the 400mhz \ 800mhz are frequency not timings.

voltage and timings are what's relevant here, with many boards adding a second stick can change the timings slightly and you get instability

the timings showing are 6.6.6.18 , can you post a shot from the SPD tab for each ram slot ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2010   #14
Alexa W

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alexa W View Post
Quote:
=ickymay;567429
thats the chipset number of the ram , do you know the part number it's likely to start M3.............. , im trying to find the timings the ram works at and see if it matches up with the bios on the mobo

cant find the name, but its currently timing at 400MHz
does it need to go up to 800MHz? how would i do that?
also how come slot 4 has more timings than slot 2?
btw, slot 4 is the 'faulty' one

also i tried running sfc /scannow, but it says i need to be an administrator, when im the only user... tried running in task manager, the cmd promt flashes up for a second and thats it...
the SPD tabs on CpuZ will show more relevant info

the 400mhz \ 800mhz are frequency not timings.

voltage and timings are what's relevant here, with many boards adding a second stick can change the timings slightly and you get instability

the timings showing are 6.6.6.18 , can you post a shot from the SPD tab for each ram slot ?
spd tab here:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #15
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alexa W View Post
spd tab here:
On that SPD tab from CPUZ your slot 2 is being forced to run at 400MHZ as dual channel but it's not one of a matched pair ?

Using slots 2 and 4 is trying to run this ram as dual channel but you are running two sticks that arrived separately so have not been tested as running dual channel ?

If your going to run dual channel you need a matched pair and if one stick tests bad you send the pair back for replacement , If your going to run dual channel you would be better using slots 1 and 3.

have you tried running on separate channels by using slots 1 and 2 ?

Also if this was branded RAM it would show the manufacturer name as Samsung ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2010   #16
Alexa W

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alexa W View Post
spd tab here:
On that SPD tab from CPUZ your slot 2 is being forced to run at 400MHZ as dual channel but it's not one of a matched pair ?

Using slots 2 and 4 is trying to run this ram as dual channel but you are running two sticks that arrived separately so have not been tested as running dual channel ?

If your going to run dual channel you need a matched pair and if one stick tests bad you send the pair back for replacement , If your going to run dual channel you would be better using slots 1 and 3.

have you tried running on separate channels by using slots 1 and 2 ?

Also if this was branded RAM it would show the manufacturer name as Samsung ?
yeah i tried with the one i got with the working ram, but that failed, so i sent it back, and brought a new one from the same person. of course i wasnt gonna ask for another 2 ramsticks, just needed one. but this has same problems.
it says samsung on the chipset things...
i have tried using 1 and 3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #17
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alexa W View Post
yeah i tried with the one i got with the working ram, but that failed, so i sent it back, and brought a new one from the same person. of course i wasnt gonna ask for another 2 ramsticks, just needed one. but this has same problems.
it says samsung on the chipset things...
i have tried using 1 and 3.
I reckon you are definitely going to need to run these sticks on two different channels as they aren't a matched pair but I am not convinced this ram will work on your motherboard, however I wouldn't run out and buy new ram on the strength of this alone, so maybe try and borrow a matched pair to try or talk to your original supplier and let them know your problems ?

so how did running slots 1 and 3 turn out ?

I suggest use slots 1 and 2 and run memtest86, if you get any errors then you have either a ram stick problem or a slot problem or you voltage requirement is higher than the bios is setting ?

have you asked your local tech for help on this ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #18
Alexa W

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

well usually i would have it running on slot 3, but using the error ramstick on its own would last a few hours before going bsod... with the other stick as well in slot 1 at the same time it would last about 6 or so hours without bsod... i can try running them on 1 and 2, but it would probably do the same as running on 1 and 3.
my stepdad IS my local techie :P usually i havn't needed to ask for help beside him or looking on forums for answers when he's NOT around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #19
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alexa W View Post
well usually i would have it running on slot 3, but using the error ramstick on its own would last a few hours before going bsod... with the other stick as well in slot 1 at the same time it would last about 6 or so hours without bsod... i can try running them on 1 and 2, but it would probably do the same as running on 1 and 3.
my stepdad IS my local techie :P usually i havn't needed to ask for help beside him or looking on forums for answers when he's NOT around.

Alexa

Just stopped in to see how it is going and windered if with both sticks in it BSOD's in safe mode (F8). We might be missing something obvious.

Let us know


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2X2gb ram = bsod




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
1x4GB VS 2x2GB additional RAM -- Does It Matter?
Hey and Merry Christmas to all of you, I am going to upgrade my RAM soon and I was wondering if there was a difference between adding one chip of 4GB or a pair of two, 2GB each. I already have 2x2GB (see my motherboard in my Specs) and I have two slots available so it wouldn't really make a...
Performance & Maintenance
Best way to set 2x2GB + 2x4GB RAM on the same PC
I've got 2x2GB DDR3 1333, 9-9-9 dual channel Corsair memory, right now in slot 1 and 3 I just got 2x4GB DDR3 1333, 9-9-9 dual channel Samsung memory, and planning to put them as well. I was wondering what would be the best way to place them? The 4GB chips in 1st and 3rd slot and the 2GB...
Hardware & Devices
Dell XPS 600 reboot loop with 4GB (2x2GB) memory
Had 1x 2GB Kingston 667MHz stick, and decided to buy another one. I should point out that both are fully working and were bought brand new from Amazon. I was forced to reinstall windows (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) for other reasons, and the installer would get to "Starting Windows" then would...
Hardware & Devices
Ram question 2x2gb 800 or 4x1gb 1066
got some spare ram kicking about which to use ?:sarc: and a spare 8800gt sli?
Performance & Maintenance
BSOD problems after installing dominator 1066 2x2GB ram
Since i upgraded my Ram, i have had this problem. it isnt very often but still in the last month or so i have 6 BSOD encounters. each time i was doing something different. The first few times i could remember the message was something to do with memory managment. so i went in the bios and set...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD problems after installing dominator 1066 2x2GB ram
Since i upgraded my Ram, i have had this problem. it isnt very often but still in the last month or so i have 6 BSOD encounters. each time i was doing something different. The first few times i could remember the message was something to do with memory managment. so i went in the bios and set...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App