Enabling dump files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10,200
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
       #1

    Enabling dump files


    Good people,
    Have I missed it or do we not have a short explanation/tutorial on enabling a system to create a dump files? Here I am not talking about causing one but simply the necessary settings in sysdm.cpl and the the necessary autostart of the windows error reporting service.

    What I was looking for was a simple list for those who say they do not have any files in \windows\minidump.

    True, we can relist the info every time this comes up but perhaps an easier approach would be a link to either a post or tutorial dedicated to this topic and this topic alone.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,322
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #2

    Here's This Karl, I know it's not a tutorial but handy and helpful.

    SF Diagnostic Tool
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 10,200
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Yes, it's an exellent tool for collecting info and I'd like to see it recommended more frequently since it provides a wealth of info.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4,772
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
       #4

    Here you go !!
    1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click System.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    4. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

      To change the folder location for the small memory dump files, type a new path in the Dump File box (or in the Small dump directory box, depending on your version of Windows).
    Source: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

    Hope this helps,
    Captain
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,322
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #5

    karlsnooks said:
    Yes, it's an exellent tool for collecting info and I'd like to see it recommended more frequently since it provides a wealth of info.
    I agree, an excellent tool.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 10,200
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
    Here you go !!
    1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click System.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    4. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

      To change the folder location for the small memory dump files, type a new path in the Dump File box (or in the Small dump directory box, depending on your version of Windows).

    Source: How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

    Hope this helps,
    Captain
    That's one part of the picture. There are other things to be observed. For most of us there is no problem, but although I've not test it, supposedly if you have no paging file. You also must have not have turned off Windows Error Reporting. This one you correct by starting the service and changing the setting to Automatic starting. Many ways to gt there--I use SERVICES.MSC.

    Now to another strange point-On my system, win7 Ultimate, 32 bit, the minidump size is given as 128K bytes as opposed to 64k bytes. Perhaps the 64k was true for Vista but I don't know.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 845
    Windows 7 - Vista
       #7

    Excellent topic.

    There are certain contitions (besides that of the "Perfect Storm") that must be in place for a memory dump to be produced when your system BSOD's, hardware failure notwithstanding.

    Please see --> BSOD Kernel Dump Analysis - jcgriff2

    Which contains this link --> NO MEMORY DUMP FILES BEING PRODUCED UPON BSOD?

    Which says -
    jcgriff2 said:

    CHECKLIST

    For dumps to be produced. . .

    - Page file must be on OS drive
    - Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    - Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    - Set page file to system managed, OS drive

    Set System Crash/ Recovery Settings to "Kernel Memory Dump" - this will produce. . .
    --> a Full Kernel Memory Dump - c:\windows\memory.dmp
    --> a Mini Kernel dump c:\windows\minidump

    The Full Kernel is overwritten each BSOD; a new mini kernel dump is created w/ different name for each BSOD

    To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), download the zip file, extract the EXE file to Desktop. RIGHT-click on EXE icon, select "Run as Administrator".

    Zip File w/ EXE --> WMI - "Recoveros" and Page File Settings

    IE 8 screen will open with the results.

    For additional information, please see Microsoft kb307973, "How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows".


    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    I have attached the actual WMI EXE file that I wrote to this post for those who would like to see the output.

    WMI EXE File --> WMIC_Recoveros_Pagefile_04-2010_jcgriff2_html.exe

    These are simply basic items to check before digging deeper, IMHO.

    Kind Regards. . .

    John

    .
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,360
    win7 ultimate / virtual box
       #8

    jcgriff2 said:
    Excellent topic.

    There are certain contitions (besides that of the "Perfect Storm") that must be in place for a memory dump to be produced when your system BSOD's, hardware failure notwithstanding.

    Please see --> BSOD Kernel Dump Analysis - jcgriff2

    Which contains this link --> NO MEMORY DUMP FILES BEING PRODUCED UPON BSOD?

    Which says -
    jcgriff2 said:

    CHECKLIST

    For dumps to be produced. . .

    - Page file must be on OS drive
    - Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    - Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    - Set page file to system managed, OS drive

    Set System Crash/ Recovery Settings to "Kernel Memory Dump" - this will produce. . .
    --> a Full Kernel Memory Dump - c:\windows\memory.dmp
    --> a Mini Kernel dump c:\windows\minidump

    The Full Kernel is overwritten each BSOD; a new mini kernel dump is created w/ different name for each BSOD

    To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), download the zip file, extract the EXE file to Desktop. RIGHT-click on EXE icon, select "Run as Administrator".

    Zip File w/ EXE --> WMI - "Recoveros" and Page File Settings

    IE 8 screen will open with the results.

    For additional information, please see Microsoft kb307973, "How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows".


    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    I have attached the actual WMI EXE file that I wrote to this post for those who would like to see the output.

    WMI EXE File --> WMIC_Recoveros_Pagefile_04-2010_jcgriff2_html.exe

    These are simply basic items to check before digging deeper, IMHO.

    Kind Regards. . .

    John

    .
    all the bases covered as ever meester griff
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4,772
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
       #9

    jcgriff2 said:
    Excellent topic.

    There are certain contitions (besides that of the "Perfect Storm") that must be in place for a memory dump to be produced when your system BSOD's, hardware failure notwithstanding.

    Please see --> BSOD Kernel Dump Analysis - jcgriff2

    Which contains this link --> NO MEMORY DUMP FILES BEING PRODUCED UPON BSOD?

    Which says -
    jcgriff2 said:

    CHECKLIST

    For dumps to be produced. . .

    - Page file must be on OS drive
    - Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    - Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    - Set page file to system managed, OS drive

    Set System Crash/ Recovery Settings to "Kernel Memory Dump" - this will produce. . .
    --> a Full Kernel Memory Dump - c:\windows\memory.dmp
    --> a Mini Kernel dump c:\windows\minidump

    The Full Kernel is overwritten each BSOD; a new mini kernel dump is created w/ different name for each BSOD

    To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), download the zip file, extract the EXE file to Desktop. RIGHT-click on EXE icon, select "Run as Administrator".

    Zip File w/ EXE --> WMI - "Recoveros" and Page File Settings

    IE 8 screen will open with the results.

    For additional information, please see Microsoft kb307973, "How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows".


    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    I have attached the actual WMI EXE file that I wrote to this post for those who would like to see the output.

    WMI EXE File --> WMIC_Recoveros_Pagefile_04-2010_jcgriff2_html.exe

    These are simply basic items to check before digging deeper, IMHO.

    Kind Regards. . .

    John

    .
    Great Post J.C. !!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 10,200
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    jcgriff2 said:
    Excellent topic.

    There are certain contitions (besides that of the "Perfect Storm") that must be in place for a memory dump to be produced when your system BSOD's, hardware failure notwithstanding.

    Please see --> BSOD Kernel Dump Analysis - jcgriff2

    Which contains this link --> NO MEMORY DUMP FILES BEING PRODUCED UPON BSOD?

    Which says -
    jcgriff2 said:

    CHECKLIST

    For dumps to be produced. . .

    - Page file must be on OS drive
    - Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    - Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    - Set page file to system managed, OS drive

    Set System Crash/ Recovery Settings to "Kernel Memory Dump" - this will produce. . .
    --> a Full Kernel Memory Dump - c:\windows\memory.dmp
    --> a Mini Kernel dump c:\windows\minidump

    The Full Kernel is overwritten each BSOD; a new mini kernel dump is created w/ different name for each BSOD

    To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), download the zip file, extract the EXE file to Desktop. RIGHT-click on EXE icon, select "Run as Administrator".

    Zip File w/ EXE --> WMI - "Recoveros" and Page File Settings

    IE 8 screen will open with the results.

    For additional information, please see Microsoft kb307973, "How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows".


    Regards. . .

    jcgriff2
    I have attached the actual WMI EXE file that I wrote to this post for those who would like to see the output.

    WMI EXE File --> WMIC_Recoveros_Pagefile_04-2010_jcgriff2_html.exe

    These are simply basic items to check before digging deeper, IMHO.

    Kind Regards. . .

    John

    .
    John,
    Many thanks. Been rather busy last two days and haven't had a chance to digest and utilize yet. Oh, yes, my latest attempts at trying to force a dump on my keyboard without a scroll lock using the registry edit to remap keyboard failed. Could remap to a shift key just fine but remap to scroll-lock produced nada. Must go back and once again check over my registry edit to enable the use of rt-ctls with 2 x scroll-lock to force bsod.

    am still working on that one also.

    Again, many thanks,
    karl
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:37.
Find Us