Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD Crash, need guidance

18 Jun 2010   #11
CStaat

Windows 7
 
 

Well guys, it did it again! I just got home, and saw the blue screen. Same as before. The Dell guy called me about 8 hours ago to check and see. At that time it was fine. Guess I'll be calling Dell AGAIN to see what they think will fix it now. And same as before, the computer was sitting, Windows Live Mail running, along with AVG and ZoneAlarm. I should have stuck with a Sony...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jun 2010   #12
ttran

Microsoft Window 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 

Hi CStaat

Since the BSODs you posted didn't show any clue about AVG therefore I will not say that is the cause. However, third party security software is known for causing BSODs and AVG is not exception (I got that). Would u be willing to remove AVG completely just for testing purpose only,

If it doesn't fix, you can re-install it anytime you want

Regard

Tuan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #13
jcgriff2

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CStaat View Post
Well guys, it did it again! I just got home, and saw the blue screen. Same as before. The Dell guy called me about 8 hours ago to check and see. At that time it was fine. Guess I'll be calling Dell AGAIN to see what they think will fix it now. And same as before, the computer was sitting, Windows Live Mail running, along with AVG and ZoneAlarm. I should have stuck with a Sony...
Zone Alarm would be the target of my focus.

Zone Alarm removal --> Self-Service Support

I would suggest that you try Revo Uninstaller --> Download Revo Uninstaller

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jun 2010   #14
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CStaat View Post
Well guys, it did it again! I just got home, and saw the blue screen. Same as before. The Dell guy called me about 8 hours ago to check and see. At that time it was fine. Guess I'll be calling Dell AGAIN to see what they think will fix it now. And same as before, the computer was sitting, Windows Live Mail running, along with AVG and ZoneAlarm. I should have stuck with a Sony...
Zone Alarm would be the target of my focus.

Zone Alarm removal --> Self-Service Support

I would suggest that you try Revo Uninstaller --> Download Revo Uninstaller

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

.
I concur with JC. Zone Alarm and Windows 7 do not play nice. I suggest you uninstall both AVG and ZA using Revo uninstaller. Simply disabling ZA will not work. For anti-virus protection install MSE for testing purposes and turn on Windows Firewall. Let's eliminate all possible sources on conflict. You can always reinstall AVG; but I would not reinstall ZA. It is a known, documented problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #15
CStaat

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I will go ahead and uninstall ZoneAlarm first. I'll give that a couple of days. If I still get the BSOD, I'll remove AVG. I'll keep everyone posted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2010   #16
CStaat

Windows 7
 
 

Well, here's an update. Since removing Zone Alarm, I've had no crashes! So thanks a ton to you guys for helping me out with that.

Now, what do you recommend as an alternative? I like how Zone Alarm would block programs, and tell me they are being blocked. I've stopped some virus' from spreading because of Zone Alarm. Suggestions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2010   #17
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CStaat View Post
Well, here's an update. Since removing Zone Alarm, I've had no crashes! So thanks a ton to you guys for helping me out with that.

Now, what do you recommend as an alternative? I like how Zone Alarm would block programs, and tell me they are being blocked. I've stopped some virus' from spreading because of Zone Alarm. Suggestions?
I am using Comodo - just the free firewall. Its interface is the closest I could find to ZA. But be warned, it has a learning curve. It is not as easy and intuitive as ZA; but it seems to do a good job. It uses less resources than ZA, too.

I am glad your BSOD's have disappeared. ZA and Windows 7 just do not get along. Thank you for reporting back. Well done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD Crash, need guidance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
want to go from 32 bit to 64 bit need some guidance
So I did some work on my sister in laws computer. Got it fixed. She bought Windows Home Premium 64 bit. Decided she didn't want to worry about it since I got hers going and asked if I wanted it for working on theirs. Of course I said sure. I have Ultimate 32 bit edition right now and want to make...
Installation & Setup
BSOD, Random Periods - Testing Memory Guidance Required
This may sound like a stupid question so I apologise before hand. I am currently having problems with my system and I keep getting a BSOD error. When I restart my machine as I have a few HDD and a SDD installed it does not seem to boot from the correct drive so I have to constantly have to go...
Hardware & Devices
Digital Slr Guidance ?
Just a thought, does anyone have and of these types of camera's ? if you do, could you inform me of how much it was and what features it roughly has. Any responses would be appreciated, Thank you :) - Sheafy
Chillout Room
Any guidance?
I have an Acer computer, so when it downloads, it automatically goes to the Burn DVD program that came with Desktop... any help? Is it because I didnt have the Launch box checked in Download Man?
General Discussion
New here could use some guidance
Hello everyone, the name's moe. Long story short im a newb around w7, i got the RC today of course build 7100. Anyways im not running it on anything close to what MS posted as requirements. So im sure that could be the issue im having with video playback. The sound is a bit choppy and the video is...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App