Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help Please

05 Jul 2010   #41
joker007

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I will check the PSU tomorrow night. I replaced the cmos battery the other day so it is all clear. Will let you know how the PSU check goes. Thanks again for everyones help so far.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jul 2010   #42
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

adding another stick can change the timings slightly then making your system unstable and the fact the bios doesn't detect and set correct timings suggests to me the ram is not an ideal match to your motherboard

Ideally you need to find the exact spec make model number for your ram and see if you can find it on the tested ram list >> Attachment 83502 provided by msi ?

A great program for accurately identifying ram is CPU-Z

have you been to the msi site to make sure you have the latest bios and chipset drivers ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #43
joker007

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Hi all. Regarding the RAM, it ran 100% stable with my nvidia 8800GTS 512mb at 800mhz. No probs for 3 years. Its only since I went to the HD 5850 that I've had problems which leads me to suspect either the card just doesn't like my RAM running at 800mhz (which the nvidia was fine with) or my system just can't stand ATI drivers. I use cpu-z and Core temp to monitor hardware and am using the latest bios for the motherboard. Regarding the chipset drivers, the only ones listed are for vista 64 bit not windows 7. Is it worth putting these on? They were released in 2008 and as the mobo is quite old now MSI don't really support it anymore.
I have tested my PSU with a multimeter at POST, Boot, Windows Start up, System Idle, System load and shutting down. The reading on the 12 volt rail was a consistent 12.15volts throughout all tests. The 5 volt rail was a consistent 5.14volts, and finally the 3.3 volt rail consistently raed 3.38 volts which rules a PSU problem out. What else apart from RAM could cause the artifacts and crashing? I have noticed the hard disk clunking a bit more lately. Could this cause the problems? It showed no errors in dskchk. I'm currently running the 4 gb RAM at 667mhz to see if things remain stable. The one positive is that I don't have to RMA any of my new components, just wish I could have a stable system to run them on!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2010   #44
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

It is very likely the unsupported chipset could be the root of your problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #45
joker007

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Well it dosn't look like a RAM issue as I have just had another crash. Have attached the minidump file if you would be kind enough to have a look. I am going to email MSI technical support about the chipset drivers. In the mean time I may just install the ones on the website as they are compatible with Vista 64 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #46
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joker007 View Post
Well it dosn't look like a RAM issue as I have just had another crash. Have attached the minidump file if you would be kind enough to have a look. I am going to email MSI technical support about the chipset drivers. In the mean time I may just install the ones on the website as they are compatible with Vista 64 bit.
this crash is REFERENCE_BY_POINTER BugCheck 18 and for this error it's very likely to be a driver ?

MSDN suggests
  1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
  3. Check your hard disk for errors.

personally I think this should be solvable by updating your drivers?

It is significant when looking at the drivers present in the crash .dmp I can see 75% of them are from May and July of 2009 ?

Can you vigorously go through all of your hardware, and using the manufacturers websites make sure you have all of the latest drivers ?

It also wouldn't hurt to run a virus check ?

It would also be a good idea to run a disk check ?

of course this could all lead back to the idea that your graphics card and drivers just will not work with your chipset

for reference heres the output from debugger
Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Loading Dump File [D:\downloads\070710-29531-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*C:\SymCache*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02c60000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02e9de50
Debug session time: Wed Jul  7 17:47:27.901 2010 (UTC + 1:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:11:50.854
Loading Kernel Symbols
.............................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
.....
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 18, {0, fffffa8005ffaef0, 2, ffffffffffffffff}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+46451 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

3: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Object type of the object whose reference count is being lowered
Arg2: fffffa8005ffaef0, Object whose reference count is being lowered
Arg3: 0000000000000002, Reserved
Arg4: ffffffffffffffff, Reserved
	The reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
	Each time a driver uses a pointer to an object the driver calls a kernel routine
	to increment the reference count of the object. When the driver is done with the
	pointer the driver calls another kernel routine to decrement the reference count.
	Drivers must match calls to the increment and decrement routines. This bugcheck
	can occur because an object's reference count goes to zero while there are still
	open handles to the object, in which case the fourth parameter indicates the number
	of opened handles. It may also occur when the objectís reference count drops below zero
	whether or not there are open handles to the object, and in that case the fourth parameter
	contains the actual value of the pointer references count.

Debugging Details:
------------------


CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x18

PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80002c67fac to fffff80002cd0600

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`02926428 fffff800`02c67fac : 00000000`00000018 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`05ffaef0 00000000`00000002 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`02926430 fffff800`02fccf09 : fffff880`02926ca0 fffff880`02926810 00000000`0000001e 00000000`00000006 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x46451
fffff880`02926490 fffff800`02fcd7d6 : fffff880`02fd3101 00001f80`00d100dc fffffa80`00000001 00000000`00000001 : nt!ObpWaitForMultipleObjects+0x2d3
fffff880`02926960 fffff800`02ccf853 : fffffa80`05ffa060 00000000`00c0fb08 fffff880`02926bc8 fffff880`02926c00 : nt!NtWaitForMultipleObjects+0xe5
fffff880`02926bb0 00000000`7788046a : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
00000000`00c0fae8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x7788046a


STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+46451
fffff800`02c67fac cc              int     3

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  1

SYMBOL_NAME:  nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+46451

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4b88cfeb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x18_OVER_DEREFERENCE_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+46451

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x18_OVER_DEREFERENCE_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+46451

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

3: kd> !object 02fccf09
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002f08010

3: kd> !object fffffa8005ffaef0
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002f08010
Could not read ObjectType address
as you can see I ran the command kd> !object address where the address was fffffa8005ffaef0 but the returned error was
Code:
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002f08010
Could not read ObjectType address
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #47
joker007

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks a lot for this Ickymay. Strange about the drivers. I know regarding hardware that I am running the latest drivers for my system. I have run several virus scans and disk checks which returned nothing. The thing I find really strange is that when I'm running 3d applications like games the PC is 100% stable. Its just at desktop running 2D that I have problems. Would it be worth formatting and starting again? I have already done this recently but wasn't running the latest chipset drivers. It wouldn't be too much bother as I have all personal data on another hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #48
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joker007 View Post
Thanks a lot for this Ickymay. Strange about the drivers. I know regarding hardware that I am running the latest drivers for my system. I have run several virus scans and disk checks which returned nothing. The thing I find really strange is that when I'm running 3d applications like games the PC is 100% stable. Its just at desktop running 2D that I have problems. Would it be worth formatting and starting again? I have already done this recently but wasn't running the latest chipset drivers. It wouldn't be too much bother as I have all personal data on another hard drive.
the only reason I can see to format would be so you could try and emulate the crash with nothing but windows installed , which cuts down the variables ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #49
joker007

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I wanted to format for that reason exactly. Just a fresh Windows install with only what I needed installed. It was stable for a couple of hours and then crashed again. Really struggled to get the PC to post even with clearing the cmos. Eventually managed to get the PC to boot and I have now tried something else. Being as the system is 100% stable when gaming I have tried to replicate the conditions the PC is in when in 3d mode. I haven't disabled powerplay on the GPU but I have disabled intel speedstep as the CPU was constantly throttling and I had a feeling the GPU didn't seem to like this. Anyway the PC has been stable all day so I'm crossing everything that it stays that way! I can only hope! Its very strange as the 8800GTS was fine with speedstep but we'l have to see. I will let you know if this has solved my crashes in a couple of days. If not back to square one. A big thank you to everyone that took the time to help me. Much appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2010   #50
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joker007 View Post
I wanted to format for that reason exactly. Just a fresh Windows install with only what I needed installed. It was stable for a couple of hours and then crashed again. Really struggled to get the PC to post even with clearing the cmos. Eventually managed to get the PC to boot and I have now tried something else. Being as the system is 100% stable when gaming I have tried to replicate the conditions the PC is in when in 3d mode. I haven't disabled powerplay on the GPU but I have disabled intel speedstep as the CPU was constantly throttling and I had a feeling the GPU didn't seem to like this. Anyway the PC has been stable all day so I'm crossing everything that it stays that way! I can only hope! Its very strange as the 8800GTS was fine with speedstep but we'l have to see. I will let you know if this has solved my crashes in a couple of days. If not back to square one. A big thank you to everyone that took the time to help me. Much appreciated.
good call then , please keep us posted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help Please




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App