Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 x64 vs Windows 7 x86 (Fight)

27 Jun 2009   #61
Gemad9

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Hello all - my first post.

I hope I misunderstood the above; If I am upgrading from Windows XP Professional 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, am I to understand from the above that even if I select the "Custom" installation and do a clean install, I *cannot* upgrade from my XP 32-bit version to the 64-bit version of Windows 7? Say it's not so!

TIA

Gemad9
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #62
Snufffed

 

No, you understood 100% correct. YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE ANY VERSION OF 32BIT TO 64 BIT....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #63
berserker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gemad9 View Post
Hello all - my first post.

I hope I misunderstood the above; If I am upgrading from Windows XP Professional 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, am I to understand from the above that even if I select the "Custom" installation and do a clean install, I *cannot* upgrade from my XP 32-bit version to the 64-bit version of Windows 7? Say it's not so!

TIA

Gemad9
You can't do an upgrade but you can do a "clean install" as you pointed out (assuming your system is capable of running a 64-bit OS).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jun 2009   #64
TechOutsider

Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by berserker View Post
You can't do an upgrade but you can do a "clean install" as you pointed out (assuming your system is capable of running a 64-bit OS).
As in "system", he refers to the processor.

Also be sure there are 64-bit drivers for your hardware (printers, scanners, fax machines, etc.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #65
crdnilfan

Windows 7 Build 7600.16834 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TechOutsider View Post
As in "system", he refers to the processor.

Also be sure there are 64-bit drivers for your hardware (printers, scanners, fax machines, etc.)
CPU is part of the "system" but to run a 64-bit OS, you're motherboard and BIOS also need to be 64-bit compatible, along with your CPU. System was the correct term.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #66
Gemad9

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by berserker View Post
You can't do an upgrade but you can do a "clean install" as you pointed out (assuming your system is capable of running a 64-bit OS).

OK - Paint me stupid. If you say that (in quotes above), I'm still confused. For starters, my system (processor, drivers, hardware, etc.) can accomodate a 64-bit OS so that's not a problem. Can I boot from the 64-bit Win 7 upgrade DVD (with Win XP Pro 32-bit installed on the drive, to verify that this is an upgrade) and then without having booted into the XP installation, choose the Custom option, and do a clean install of x64? Some of you are saying that the answer is no? Am I understanding correctly?

Also, can I do an x64 installation with Win 7 x64 RC even if the OS on my active drive is XP 32-bit or is it just the upgrade version that won't install over a 32-bit OS? Sorry if I sound thick!

gemad9
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #67
berserker

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gemad9 View Post
OK - Paint me stupid. If you say that (in quotes above), I'm still confused. For starters, my system (processor, drivers, hardware, etc.) can accomodate a 64-bit OS so that's not a problem. Can I boot from the 64-bit Win 7 upgrade DVD (with Win XP Pro 32-bit installed on the drive, to verify that this is an upgrade) and then without having booted into the XP installation, choose the Custom option, and do a clean install of x64? Some of you are saying that the answer is no? Am I understanding correctly?

Also, can I do an x64 installation with Win 7 x64 RC even if the OS on my active drive is XP 32-bit or is it just the upgrade version that won't install over a 32-bit OS? Sorry if I sound thick!

gemad9
Hopefully, this will eliminate the confusion: You can't "upgrade" a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit one but you can wipe your hard drive with the upgrade disk and install the 64-bit OS.

The upgrade disk will recognize that you have an eligible OS (XP Pro 32-bit), wipe the disk clean and install the 64-bit W7 (assuming you choose the 64-bit flavor).

I hope this alleviates your concern.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #68
Gemad9

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by berserker View Post
Hopefully, this will eliminate the confusion: You can't "upgrade" a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit one but you can wipe your hard drive with the upgrade disk and install the 64-bit OS.

The upgrade disk will recognize that you have an eligible OS (XP Pro 32-bit), wipe the disk clean and install the 64-bit W7 (assuming you choose the 64-bit flavor).

I hope this alleviates your concern.
It does indeed and thanks. BTW I installed the 64-bit RC this evening and it set up perfectly.

Thanks for your patience.

gemad9
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #69
Muad Dib

XP Pro & Vista Home Premium (x86); Windows Ultimate 7600 x64 Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crdnilfan View Post
CPU is part of the "system" but to run a 64-bit OS, you're motherboard and BIOS also need to be 64-bit compatible, along with your CPU. System was the correct term.
Your statement is correct but needs repeating for the in-experienced.

ALL "system" components must support 64 bit.

Processor, Motherboard and BIOS.

There are some hybrid configurations out there....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2009   #70
DJG

 

Gemad9, this is 32-to-64 bit aspect is moot anyway in your case. You cannot do an in-place upgrade of ANY flavor of XP to Windows 7, onlt Vista can be upgraded in place. All XP "upgrades" have to be done with a clean install. But as they have stated, 32 doesn't go into 64 either.

So you have a double-whammy . It's the price of progress, my friend ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cant fight the right drivers (probably)
The main problem is that my mouse stops working sometimes... i chaged mouse and still the same (maybe the 2nd mouse less often not sure) so i go to device manager and see that usb + sm drivers are not installed =>code 28 (my windows are in greek so maybe my translation is not perfect) windows: 7...
Drivers
We're having a Snowball Fight come join us
We're starting a snowball fight.. I'll go first.. you all join in please. click to get the action... after this opens stand backkkkkk...lol
Chillout Room
Continuing the Fight Against Piracy.
Source - Continuing the Fight Against Piracy - Genuine Windows Blog - The Windows Blog
News
The Fight is on:- Windows 7 or Vista SP2?
There is the start of a bitter debate amongst the "experts" as to whether Windows 7 is a genuinely new OS or just Vista SP2 It's Just Vista with Bells "Test Center benchmarks: Windows 7 unmasked Measured by runtime specs and performance benchmarks, Windows 7 M3 looks like Vista, and it runs...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App