Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question for all you non-Americans :)

03 Nov 2010   #31
spinifex

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
We might have a tough time watching British shows cause you guys talk fast and use lingo like this:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
but I can imagine most people across the drink wouldn't care for it.
Then we would get confused
It's actually a lot of yanks that use the "across the drink" phrase.
Pommie humour is cleverly good. I'm sure ours derived from there and we just improved it.

If anyone is confused with the word "pommie", it dates back to around the end of the 19th century. Lots of different ideas around, but this link will explain all. (i hope).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #32
IownAmoneyPit

Windows 7 Pro x 2/Windows 10 Home/10 Pro//Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
My friend and I were watching Monday Night Football last night and started talking about international TV. To make a long story short, in whatever country you are from do they broadcast American TV shows? We were just wondering... We don't really get any TV shows from other countries (unless of course, they are remakes), and we also don't really get movies from other countries (aside from a few). But at the same time, we always hear about how well American movies did overseas, is this the same for TV shows?

If so, what shows do you get (unless its all of them), and which shows are made in your country that you think I should try and find online?

Thanks
Yes we have tons of American Movies & TV although Hulu and Internet TV streamed through Media Center are not. Without the influence of of American Movies & TV, Canada may not have produced such acclaimed actors as Mike Myers the man behind the Avatar of our beloved Administrator z3r010 (Dr Evil).

Some American Movies and TV shows are also filmed or produced in Canada.

Question for all you non-Americans :)-2010-11-03_092258.jpg

* Some Character names may be omitted to comply with Forum rules



My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #33
Kari

 

A bit off topic, but here's a list of my all time favorites TV-shows from both sides the big pond.

USA, comedy:
- 3rd Rock from the Sun. I just love to see and hear John Lithgow. As "Monty Python" as Americans go!
- The Big Bang Theory
- Cheers
- First 3 or 4 series of Frasier

USA, talk shows:
- Everything hosted by Leno, Kimmel and O'Brien

USA, drama:
- have liked almost everything from HBO. Especially the series about John Adams was really interesting and well done, explaining the birth of the U.S.A. in a way that made it easy to follow and understand. IMO every foreigner interested in American history should see it. I also fell completely in love with the serie The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which IMO is the best of all HBO drama series

UK comedy:
- Monty Python
- Fawlty Towers
- Mr Bean
- Men behaving badly
- Only fools and horses and the hilarious spin-off The Green Green Grass

UK, talk shows:
- The Alan Titchmarsh Show
- Daybreak (former GMTV, am a huge Kate Garraway fan )

UK, drama:
- Heartbreak
- EastEnders
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Nov 2010   #34
IownAmoneyPit

Windows 7 Pro x 2/Windows 10 Home/10 Pro//Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
A bit off topic, but here's a list of my all time favorites TV-shows from both sides the big pond.

USA, comedy:
- 3rd Rock from the Sun. I just love to see and hear John Lithgow. As "Monty Python" as Americans go!
- The Big Bang Theory
- Cheers
- First 3 or 4 series of Frasier

USA, talk shows:
- Everything hosted by Leno, Kimmel and O'Brien

USA, drama:
- have liked almost everything from HBO. Especially the series about John Adams was really interesting and well done, explaining the birth of the U.S.A. in a way that made it easy to follow and understand. IMO every foreigner interested in American history should see it. I also fell completely in love with the serie The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which IMO is the best of all HBO drama series

UK comedy:
- Monty Python
- Fawlty Towers
- Mr Bean
- Men behaving badly
- Only fools and horses and the hilarious spin-off The Green Green Grass

UK, talk shows:
- The Alan Titchmarsh Show
- Daybreak (former GMTV, am a huge Kate Garraway fan )

UK, drama:
- Heartbreak
- EastEnders
All time Faves from your list.
3rd Rock from the Sun
Cheers
Mr Bean
and Jimmy Kimmel (the early years) - The Man Show ( Censored )

Best Sci Fi - Babylon 5 and Andromeda and first Stargate series
British Comedy - Benny Hill
American comedy - the older the better (too many to list)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #35
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Had a thought. There have been quite a few British comedies without a laughter track. This means the viewer doesn't know where to laugh. He/she is drawn into the humour rather than having a fake laughter track dubbed over the top to let you know when you're supposed to laugh.
Can't think of a US comedy without a laughter track.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #36
dobhar

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spinifex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
We might have a tough time watching British shows cause you guys talk fast and use lingo like this:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
but I can imagine most people across the drink wouldn't care for it.
Then we would get confused
It's actually a lot of yanks that use the "across the drink" phrase.
Pommie humour is cleverly good. I'm sure ours derived from there and we just improved it.

If anyone is confused with the word "pommie", it dates back to around the end of the 19th century. Lots of different ideas around, but this link will explain all. (i hope).
I actually never heard of across the "drink"...I always have used across the "Pond".

My roots are from Britain so I guess that's why I love British humor...Monty Python has always been one of my favs...my friends could never get a handle on it... LOLOL Something like "There's a Penguin on the Telly" or "Spot the loony"



My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #37
lorddenis

 

yes we get them....

althog i think that germany gets them all. haven wached any tv for quite some time now but when i did i remmber that they aired some show that werent in my country.
British shows?
Jekly
Coupling
Primeval
Spooks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #38
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
We might have a tough time watching British shows cause you guys talk fast and use lingo like this:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
but I can imagine most people across the drink wouldn't care for it.
Then we would get confused
I'm not surprised, that doesn't even scrape the surface. British lingo is pretty good. Northern Irish is in a league of it's own.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #39
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Can't think of a US comedy without a laughter track.
Arrested Development.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #40
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Can't think of a US comedy without a laughter track.
PBS News Hour?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Two-thirds of Americans surf the Web at less than 10Mbps
Source A Guy
News
One-third of Americans now own a tablet, Pew finds
Source A Guy
News
Thermal Paste Question..(Noobish Question)
Hey guys, I recently purchased Corsair H40 that came with pre applied thermal paste. Before I placed the H40 sink on my processor, I applied a thin layer on the on the processor with Cooler Master thermal paste. So essentially I mixed the H40 pre applied thermal paste with the Cooler Master thermal...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Logitech 5.1 surround question and soundcard question IDT and Realtek
So my situation is unique lol i have a Dell inspiron n5010 laptop running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit the soundcard for this is either IDT 92HD79B1, v.6.10.0.6267, A01 or A03 i dont know what the default one mine came with is. Documentation i hope that helps ^ and the attatchment i...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App