Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: World's first 256GB flash drive

24 Jul 2009   #31
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

I still wouldn't mind seeing a 1tb flash drive since the main storage drive here already has better then 50% used up being a 1tb model. Just think some day having 2tb stored in your watch pocket which is smaller then the 2.5" SSD size by comparison. Space saving would be the idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #32
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I still wouldn't mind seeing a 1tb flash drive since the main storage drive here already has better then 50% used up being a 1tb model. Just think some day having 2tb stored in your watch pocket which is smaller then the 2.5" SSD size by comparison. Space saving would be the idea.
There is a point at which Flash Drives will become obsolete. Many think that crystal storage will take over at that point. That seems like a crazy thought, but it might indeed be possible to make crystal storage cubes that could hold a PetaByte.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #33
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

I saw some show a very long time ago that there is a crystal the size of a sugar cube which holds the entire library of congress (at that time) on it.

I can not find it now, but it has to be around the net somewhere, it was a PBS show or some science channel show, I don't remember exactly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2009   #34
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
I saw some show a very long time ago that there is a crystal the size of a sugar cube which holds the entire library of congress (at that time) on it.

I can not find it now, but it has to be around the net somewhere, it was a PBS show or some science channel show, I don't remember exactly.
That is the stuff.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2009   #35
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

thats actually called holographic storage...
the crystal is just the medium....
but yeah i saw the show too and the effects are astonishing....
as for how big the LoC
according to this its 10tb (all printed material)
but it changes completely if you include A/V according to this which and i qoute
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LoC blog
when their systems are fully online, they expect to be able to digitize between 3 and 5 petabytes of content per year.
that is a large amount of data...

oh there is a HVD (which is a Holo disc) format which can hold about 500gb (although it may be able to hold 6tb in the future) per disc....
(which is a lot too in a disc...)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2009   #36
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
thats actually called holographic storage...
the crystal is just the medium....
but yeah i saw the show too and the effects are astonishing....
as for how big the LoC
according to this its 10tb (all printed material)
but it changes completely if you include A/V according to this which and i qoute

that is a large amount of data...
THATS the word! Thanks DA.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2009   #37
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
There is a point at which Flash Drives will become obsolete. Many think that crystal storage will take over at that point. That seems like a crazy thought, but it might indeed be possible to make crystal storage cubes that could hold a PetaByte.

~Lordbob
There's a point when just about any storage medium will become obsolete. Think back about 10yrs. ago when hard drives saw a maximum capacity of around 2-16gb depending on who manufactured them. WD recently introduced the 2tb model for the desktop while external usb drives were ahead on that size.

If you really go back further then that before the IBM platform what could be labeled ticker tape with punched out holes fed data and storage was at best seen on magnetic tape well before the 5.25" floppy. SSDs are now starting to take the place of hard drives that use magnetic platters.

One of these days you'll see 10,000x1tb stored on something the size of a small watch battery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Removable Flash Drive Recognized as a Local Disk and not a Flash Drive
I recently purchased a 32 GB San Disk Flash Drive. The security files pre-installed on the drive were junk, and I could not delete them so I formatted the drive to remove them. This cleaned the disk, and it holds data, but I'm not sure if this is part of my problem. I am trying to load my copy of...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD playing flash player streaming or World of warcraft or Skype
Hello, Here since 2 weeks i got BSOD 1-2 times per day where wacthing streaming or using skype or running WoW. In the windows solution center it's always flaged as video issue with BCCode 117. After most of BSOD, the nvidia card will be missing. I had to remove the battery in order to...
BSOD Help and Support
SSD - Plextor or Samsung (256GB)
Am torn between the Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB SSD and the Samsung 830 Series 256GB the Samsung is only $26 more than the Plextor but am really curious as to the Plextor performance v the Samsung. I have got the 120GB Samsung already in two machines and know they are good but the price of the...
Hardware & Devices
Replace cheapy 5400rpm 500GB drive with 256GB SSD
Gday I have just purchased an Asus Zenbook Primer and I want to replace the cheapy 5400rpm 500GB drive and replace it with a 256GB SSD. Now can I create a windows installation key drive with the 4 backup images I did when I first purchased the laptop do I need a brand new copy ? Regards
Installation & Setup
usb flash drive OR a daemon tools virtual drive to use as a cd burner.
Basically, I want to use my usb flash drive or daemon tools to burn music and then rip into lossless formats. I tried optical storage, but has not given good results lately despite the fact the cd-rw is new. With USB drive, it is a u3 flash drive 1gb from sandisk. And I have daemon tools lite on...
General Discussion
Kingston 256GB USB
Hi I recently bought Kingston 256GB USB it comes with a default exFAT format is it possible to format it using FAT32 the reason of buying it is to load the images on it and play it back on digital photo frames which unfortunately doesnt detect exFAT. I have a laptop with windows 7 and 64 bit
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App