Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Advertising Computer Building

27 May 2014   #1
AC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 
Advertising Computer Building

Hey all!

So recently, I've had about 4-5 people approach me about building them computers. I was wondering what the best way to advertise, at least to start out with, would be. I'd love to get a site up, but I'm not as experienced with site building as I'd have to be to get what I'd want accomplished. Would maybe a Word doc acting as a "flyer" be a good idea, or do you guys have any better ideas?

Also, I was wondering what would be a fair price to sell these parts to, while still making at least a slight profit.

Intel Core i5-4670K CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2133 RAM
Segate Constellation ES 1TB HDD
Corsair 500R White ATX Case
Corsair CX 600W Semi-Modular PSU
Lite-On DVD Drive

These parts, before tax, are in the around 650 USD range to purchase. Would 700-750 be a fair price to ask for building?

Thanks guys!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #2
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

If it is a gaming pc, I charge for the parts plus $100 labor. If it involves water cooling, its $150.

If its a simple computer, its $50
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2014   #3
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I'd think it would also depend on what, if any, warranty you give on your build. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 May 2014   #4
AC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I'd think it would also depend on what, if any, warranty you give on your build. A Guy
I was thinking around a 2-3 year warranty for maintenance and upkeep. If there is a part failure, I was thinking of charging 25-75 in labor, depending on the part.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2014   #5
z3r010

 

Unless you really need the money keep well clear, the second you touch a pc every problem from that point is caused by something you haved done, punters are a nightmare so if you can give the idea a miss.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2014   #6
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Ya, I do not give warranties on my builds. That is for the manufacturer. I do stability tests before giving it to them, making sure all hardware is good. People will just complain about windows being slow etc. When its 99% of the time caused by them.

They will call me up and be like my pc is running slow.

Ill say, did it do that when I gave it to you?

Then they will say no.

Then I will say, well then it is something you did.

I'll then charge them to fix it. Almost always malware.

I have repeat business, so far no one is getting butt hurt about it, and I don't get screamed at. They know where to go if they have issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2014   #7
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Ya, I do not give warranties on my builds. That is for the manufacturer. I do stability tests before giving it to them, making sure all hardware is good. People will just complain about windows being slow etc. When its 99% of the time caused by them.

They will call me up and be like my pc is running slow.

Ill say, did it do that when I gave it to you?

Then they will say no.

Then I will say, well then it is something you did.

I'll then charge them to fix it. Almost always malware.

I have repeat business, so far no one is getting butt hurt about it, and I don't get screamed at. They know where to go if they have issues.


A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #8
badger906

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
 
 

I wouldn't even start! not only can companies get parts cheaper they also slap on less on labour.

im a system builder on a hobbiest level and build a fair few in a year for people.. and its a nightmare! any slight niggle and issue people are in contact.. "whys it doing this,what that, why is the sky blue"

admittedly I mainly charge for parts and then some beer, or a cheeky £20.. but its still a pain in the bum.

I mainly just build for mates or friends of friends now.. as it got so bad I had people bringing me computers ect while I was at work ( I manage a hardware shop) and thinking id fix it there and then during my normal job =/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #9
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Unless you really need the money keep well clear, the second you touch a pc every problem from that point is caused by something you haved done, punters are a nightmare so if you can give the idea a miss.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #10
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by badger906 View Post
I wouldn't even start! not only can companies get parts cheaper they also slap on less on labour.

im a system builder on a hobbiest level and build a fair few in a year for people.. and its a nightmare! any slight niggle and issue people are in contact.. "whys it doing this,what that, why is the sky blue"

admittedly I mainly charge for parts and then some beer, or a cheeky £20.. but its still a pain in the bum.

I mainly just build for mates or friends of friends now.. as it got so bad I had people bringing me computers ect while I was at work ( I manage a hardware shop) and thinking id fix it there and then during my normal job =/
Wow that is ridiculous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Going to be building a new Computer
Going to be building a new computer so it can handle whatever I throw at it. This will also be my last time upgrading for awhile since I am starting College :p Here are the Specs I have picked out. I am having a hard time choosing what cooling I want. I will most be doing gaming and video editing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Help with building a computer
Hello everyone. I first came here for excessive BSODs. After much troubleshooting, this forum helped me overcome them for a while, but later I found out I had some hardware issue. But I thank you all for the support you gave me. Thread link:...
Hardware & Devices
Considering building a computer
This seemed like a good place to post. I was thinking about upgrading my current desktop (Dell XPS 8100) to sandy bridge and a few other things, but then I thought it would be more fun to build a custom computer. I have never done this, so I will ask noobish questions. I do a lot of video editing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Building a computer
I have an Intel E6550 Dual core with 4 Gigs of 6400 RAM runing Windows 7 (64 bit) and a 1 terabyte Seagate Hard Drive, and it is slow for dealing with 15,000 pictures in one file because I'm trying to get rid of the duplacates and it's also taking close to 100% of my CPU output when I'm video...
Hardware & Devices
Building A Computer
Can anyone help me decide on a graphics card for my new computer? It's Going to have windows 7 64 bit and I have heard horror stories as to its graphic card compatibility, more like there are certain ATI cards that have died at its hands and certain Nvidia cards that just don't work. Mostly I just...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+