Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why Winamp is just meh

4 Weeks Ago   #1
Ultrax

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Why Winamp is just meh

This is my first forum post. This looks like a nice community!
I thought I would just ramble about how bad Winamp is, at least in my case. Now firstly, this has nothing to do with my hardware, as a 3 GHz C2D and 4 GB of RAM is more than enough to use Winamp. In addition, I'm only 13 so I just missed the glory days of Winamp. With that said, let's get into it.

Winamp is not a bad media player. It's very nice, in fact. Sure, VLC and others have surpassed it, but it is still a good media player with good features. But unfortunately, when Radionomy bought it out, that's when things went south. Development and improvements to Winamp have been very few and far between if any, and the Winamp web page has said "There's More Coming Soon" for over 2 years now. It's pretty clear that they don't care much anymore. When Winamp was owned by Nullsoft, it needed improvements, but Radionomy, obviously, couldn't care less. The only redeeming factor of Winamp today are those cool visualizers. Other than that, it's a mess. Now, it could be the version I'm using, but it's a pretty recent version, if not the latest. Here are the issues I faced:

Slow, laggy UI,
Crashes when I try to rip a CD,

and above all, CD playback lags when browsing the web.

Windows Media Player 12 here in Windows 7 does a much better job of everything - and it can rip CD to more formats, and do so without crashing.
I think Radionomy needs to put some more love into Winamp, because it's currently a sad mess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #2
Raincloud

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrax View Post
I thought I would just ramble about how bad Winamp is, at least in my case. [...] In addition, I'm only 13 so I just missed the glory days of Winamp.
You didn't miss that much. Winamp 2.x on Windows 98 was awesome with its visualizations and all; I guess you could call those the glory days. But it went downhill from there: Winamp3, which was a nice idea but they eventually abandoned it and resumed developing Winamp 2 (hilariously to the point where the last 2.x version is more advanced than the last 3.x version) then they skipped Winamp 4 because they didn't like the sound of "Winamp 4 skins" and the history ends at version 5 which looks pretty bad. I always used the Modern Skin but it never looked right, not even with the "Good Ol' Winamp" colors. The Classic Skin for some reason had a non-functional repeat button, also it was too small for the screen. I just accepted that Winamp is dead. I think I still have version 2 on my Win98 computer but I haven't booted that in years.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrax View Post
Winamp is not a bad media player. It's very nice, in fact. Sure, VLC and others have surpassed it, but it is still a good media player with good features.
I recommend XMPlay if you want a capable replacement. Personally I'd keep VLC for video only.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrax View Post
But unfortunately, when Radionomy bought it out, that's when things went south. Development and improvements to Winamp have been very few and far between if any, and the Winamp web page has said "There's More Coming Soon" for over 2 years now. It's pretty clear that they don't care much anymore. When Winamp was owned by Nullsoft, it needed improvements, but Radionomy, obviously, couldn't care less.
At least NSIS is still being developed, kind of.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrax View Post
The only redeeming factor of Winamp today are those cool visualizers.
Now and then.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ultrax View Post
Other than that, it's a mess. Now, it could be the version I'm using, but it's a pretty recent version, if not the latest. Here are the issues I faced:

Slow, laggy UI,
Crashes when I try to rip a CD,

and above all, CD playback lags when browsing the web.

Windows Media Player 12 here in Windows 7 does a much better job of everything - and it can rip CD to more formats, and do so without crashing.
I think Radionomy needs to put some more love into Winamp, because it's currently a sad mess.
I would never use Winamp to rip a CD, ever. A specialized ripping tool would serve you better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
6 Days Ago   #3
MourningStar

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I still use Winamp. I have tried to replace it many times and found many I like. I did try Xmplay. Unfortunately, one thing that the ones I would have replaced Winamp with DID NOT have (and is a MUST HAVE for me) is the player controls in the taskbar which I always use when the app in minimized.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

2 Days Ago   #4
goodlad

windows 7 ultimate x32
 
 

I'm using winamp 5.63, I've no issues with it - other than the fact its bloated compared to the older version releases. I use winamp only for playing audio files. I have tried lots of alternatives none of them fit the bill like winamp. For videos I would prefer either VLC or SM Player.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Winamp
Hey there, I wonder what the media player wars will be like in 2009. Winamp is hitting back hard and WMP 12 is here. And iTunes is huge with digital music sales and all these cool features in the interface or system. Winamp skin creation is good for classic skins. I wish there was some program with...
Media Center
Winamp 5.66 Last Winamp version
Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release. Thanks for...
Software
Winamp and mad 0.15 ?
Hello everyone.I have got an issue with the new updated version of the MAD plugin for WINAMP.I simply can not figure out how to install it.It went fine with the latest beta version(0.14b) and it sounds realy good,and then i thourght it must be even better with the new version.So could someone help...
Software
Winamp- can anyone help
HI i am using sp1 on Win 7 for a little while now and everthings been ok apart from two programs Sopcast (problem has been solved) and Winamp.At the moment winamp is allowing me to use it as an audio player as video is playing with sound but no picture. Audio files are working fine its video thats...
Software
winamp help please.
I have an issue with winamp on 7 that's annoying. If I scroll down my playlist it doubles the tracks (see screenshot), and the only way to get he list to display properly is to click on the individual tracks. I have both xp and 7 installed and the error is only in seven. Anyone come across...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+