Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Longhorn Kernel Modding

17 Mar 2020   #1
SlipshodOak76

Windows Server 2008 x64
 
 
Windows Longhorn Kernel Modding

Hello SevenForum. I want to change Windows Longhorn's kernel from build 4074 to 2600 (Windows XP). I tried to follow this tutorial but its explanation is complicated. Can someone clearly step-by-step explain that guide to me on how to do this? The only thing i need is to completely and properly understand the guide.




(Link: View topic - Guide: Changing Longhorn's major, minor and build number - BetaArchive)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2020   #2
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit sp 1
 
 

What are you modifying? Vista, 7, XP, or 2008 64-bit? If you read the thread they never got it to work in XP 64-bit due to the different version number, and another post seems to indicate that this doesn't work in Vista. I'm confused by that thread myself, I don't see the point in doing that, and I would not do that in a live environment. I might do it in a virtual machine with a snapshot in case something goes wrong. Perhaps you should join that forum and ask your questions there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2020   #3
SlipshodOak76

Windows Server 2008 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
What are you modifying? Vista, 7, XP, or 2008 64-bit? If you read the thread they never got it to work in XP 64-bit due to the different version number, and another post seems to indicate that this doesn't work in Vista. I'm confused by that thread myself, I don't see the point in doing that, and I would not do that in a live environment. I might do it in a virtual machine with a snapshot in case something goes wrong. Perhaps you should join that forum and ask your questions there.

Like I said, Im modifying Windows Longhorn Build 4074's kernel (Build 4074 is 32bit by the way). Longhorn Builds are beta versions of Windows Vista. The trick here is, when you change the kernel number from 4074 (or any build) to 2600 (Windows XP 32bit) you can run any kind of XP programs and drivers. I found the guide really confusing. Its not properly explained or I just dont have enough experience to understand. If you ever ask me why Im doing this, Im just doing this for fun.


The thread is off to replies and the guy who started that thread is offline for 1 or 2 year and there is no Gmail or Discord link given :/. BetaArchive doesnt let you PM people too! This sucks..


Thanks for the reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Mar 2020   #4
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit sp 1
 
 

Well you get a hex editor, you edit the specified file, find the specified value, and change it to another specified value. I haven't done this myself. How did you get a copy of longhorn?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2020   #5
SlipshodOak76

Windows Server 2008 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
Well you get a hex editor, you edit the specified file, find the specified value, and change it to another specified value. I haven't done this myself. How did you get a copy of longhorn?

You can download builds of longhorn from Winworld PC website. You can also find builds of Whistler and rtms of operating systems older that Windows XP. The part I am confused is the Step 4-5. He says there is some numbers we have to change on the left but I dont see any related numbers. What does he mean by that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2020   #6
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit sp 1
 
 

Sorry but I'm not sure because I don't do hex editing. Maybe someone else here will chime in or if you add to that thread perhaps someone will reply. As for running those beta versions I wouldn't do anything sensitive in them since they are likely hacked. M$ has a history of expiring the use of those versions so if you are able to use it then likely someone hacked it to remove that expiration. Who knows what else they changed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2020   #7
iko22

Windows 7 x64, Vista x64, 8.1 smartphone
 
 

Step 4 (of the Guide) is a bit puzzling (ie no picture).

Also claim " This will solve many compatibility issues" is a bit dubious. For a start, Windows driver model changed between Xp and Vista (longhorn).

Secondly there are safer ways of ensuring program compatibility by using Compatibility Mode or Compatibility Troubleshooter built into each version of Windows.

Finally, if you change the version id, then it follows that you will not be able to install Vista programs and drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Mar 2020   #8
SlipshodOak76

Windows Server 2008 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iko22 View Post
Step 4 (of the Guide) is a bit puzzling (ie no picture).

Also claim " This will solve many compatibility issues" is a bit dubious. For a start, Windows driver model changed between Xp and Vista (longhorn).

Secondly there are safer ways of ensuring program compatibility by using Compatibility Mode or Compatibility Troubleshooter built into each version of Windows.

Finally, if you change the version id, then it follows that you will not be able to install Vista programs and drivers.

I tried Compability modes but they dont properly work. XP drivers and programs arent much problem. If they work properly then i will be fine with it. I also would like to point again that whatever im trying to do is not serious. Im just playing and messing with longhorn.


Thanks for your reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2020   #9
SlipshodOak76

Windows Server 2008 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
Sorry but I'm not sure because I don't do hex editing. Maybe someone else here will chime in or if you add to that thread perhaps someone will reply. As for running those beta versions I wouldn't do anything sensitive in them since they are likely hacked. M$ has a history of expiring the use of those versions so if you are able to use it then likely someone hacked it to remove that expiration. Who knows what else they changed.

You can easily remove timebomb with "tweakNT". Its just a program that edits and removes timebomb. I also dont think that people are that evil to put malicious stuff into these longhorn builds. I mean, there is not much people talking or messing with longhorn. Just look at that thread i have link in the start of this thread. That particular thread it the ONLY thread about changing longhorns kernel. I also dont remember they have removed timebombs or something edited in those shared builds, since im using modified ones.


Thank you for your reply and interest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2020   #10
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit sp 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlipshodOak76 View Post
I tried Compability modes but they dont properly work. XP drivers and programs arent much problem. If they work properly then i will be fine with it. I also would like to point again that whatever im trying to do is not serious. Im just playing and messing with longhorn.


Thanks for your reply.

Vista was in the very early stages of development at that time. This was before Microsoft threw the entire project out and started over. That wasn't even the beta stage. The final product was based on 2003 whereas longhorn is based on XP. Even the Vista RTM had issues and that was the first version available for sale on the market. You should expect issues and I suspect that changing the build number could cause even more. Don't expect anywhere near the capability or stability of Vista or 2008. For reference here is the history of Vista development. Development of Windows Vista - Wikipedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do you feel about modding Windows 7?
Hello. By "modding" (modifying) Windows 7, I mean: How do you feel about using an installation image that has pre-installed official Windows updates / security patches / removed features? I was going to post a tutorial using Rt 7 Lite (as old as it is), but it appears I do not have an...
Chillout Room
Longhorn sound effects
I was looking for the Windows Longhorn sound pack and found it at Deviant Art so i felt like posting the link in case there is anyone else as silly as me that loved the Longhorn sound effects :P Just cant get over that start up and shutdown chanting. So peaceful. :p Also uploaded the .zip file. ...
Chillout Room
Help with modding w7
Hi fellow w7 users. I've been messing around with win classic theme. But there are a few things I want to change. Here's what: http://i29.tinypic.com/2agtgg1.png I hope anyone can help.:o
Customization
modding CPU Meter that came with Windows 7??
Is there any way I can view a log of my cpu meter? Just wanting to see if I can use it to monitor my CPU usage while running a particular app. Thanks :)
Customization
My friend cant get the longhorn bootloader to install
i know vista uses longhorn is it the same in 7? anyway he cant get the boot loader to install. hes installing on a seperate partition (other partition has XP), and if im correct he can boot into XP but not 7, any idea?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:05.
Twitter Facebook