Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: iPod Touch explodes in a child's pocket

14 Mar 2009   #11
smarteyeball

 
 

Obviously an inherent fault in any device is a bad thing. It's just that in this case the kid deserved it because he was wearing spandex undies

LAWYER: "Your honor, my client wishes to seek $150,000 dollars for emotional distress"

JUDGE: "On what grounds?"

LAWYER: "My clients spandex underwear nearly caught fire"

JUDGE: "Spandex underwear? Case dismissed"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2009   #12
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I think it is much more likely the kid was messing with his iPod, trying to mod it or something else, and accidentaly lit it on fire.
I repeat.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
On a serious note ...

It is important that this type of case does get to go before the court, assuming that the evidential details are enough to warrant it.

There have, I believe been other reports of battery problems with iPod devices, and unfortunately large companies often only act when a legal requirement is placed on them. This is not an attack on Apple, before anyone suggests that, as the same would apply if it were a Zune Player or something from one of the other large players.

As for the amount of damages sought I believe this to be in the realms of a token amount when compared to some suits in recent history.

The thing that worries me is that although the youngster involved here has suffered, totally unacceptable distress, If this is an inherent fault then the next person could be even worse off.
I do agree with that. If there truly is a flaw in the iPod (you would think they would have caught this) then it does need to be fixed. I think that the mother claims he will suffer emotional distress and stuff is just pathetic. That is just trying to get more money. If my iPod exploded in my pocket, I would be pissed, but not emotionally damaged (as if I'm not already ). True, this is a token amount, but thats not the point.
Another problem here is not the iPod, but Li-ion batteries. These CAN and WILL explode if subjected to certain amounts of heat and / or puncture / stuff.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I think it is much more likely the kid was messing with his iPod, trying to mod it or something else, and accidentaly lit it on fire.
Again. I believe he was messing with it, and it blew up on him in his lap NOT pocket. They changed the story to benefit themselves.

~Lordbob

P.S. Again, sorry for the anger. This is just stupid and pisses me off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2009   #13
angryman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I don't think the parent is wrong for looking to repair the damages (although if it sees profit, then I'm irritated. $150,000, in my opinion in regards to the damages and emotional distress is exactly that, profit digging.). I'm looking at the suing of apple *and* the 10 employees.

How is it the 10 employees fault's for it exploding? It was an accident. They are there to sell the product, they did not invent, create, or even package it or any of its componants.

10 years from now the kid will remember the day his ipod exploded, not because of that fact, but because his mom manipulated the system made a $150,000 payday, and paid for her new car, his (if she has any intelligence at all) education, and another ipod.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Mar 2009   #14
johngalt

 

If we all knew the details of the suit then we would be in a better position to argue the merit (or lack thereof) of the suit.

Some points:

1) If it were in his lap then the area that started to burn would have been easily extinguished - from the description, if that is at all accurate, the heat remained mostly contained to the pocket - hence melting the underwear. In the open the majority of the hear would have risen, and unless of course the kid just sat their in fascination as the thing burned on his leg for several and then continued to watch it as it became uncomfortable, and then *continued* to watch as enough thermal energy was passed into (or through) his jeans or shorts or whatever and into the Spandex material to melt it / burn it, then the kid is stupid to begin with - however, most people are allergic to pain because it hurts....

2) If the kid's mother had already broached the subject about how the devices were known to get hot, and was repeatedly assured by employees that that was the older generation, or else that it would not occur with this new product, then she has every right to sue.

If you, as an employee, tell me something that discounts what I have read in periodicals and / or online, and I am then convinced that what I read was hearsay, only to find out first hand that the reports were true and the employees willingly and knowingly lied to me to make a sale, you bet your ass I am gonna sue you too. And everyone else who agreed with you in making the sale.

Sell me a lemon, and I don't make lemonade - I make you pay for it.

And, considering that there have been plenty of *frivolous* lawsuits (as mentioned in the commentary underneath the article about the woman and McDonald's coffee) I'd say this is nowhere near frivolous. This is a product that is *meant* to be carried on your person, and what easier way to do so than in a pocket? Yet, if it is dangerous when carried like that, then there should be a consumer alert. If there isn't, the company that is making *millions* (I say it should be close to half a billion USD by now) should be willing to part with a mere .3% of their profits.

If my total profits of a product I sold was $100, and someone sued me for $0.30, do you think I would be pissed? And that on top of the fact that it was my manufacturing process that caused this and my negligence that ignored such reports in the past rather than posting a consumer alert?

Get real. Let's learn the facts first - I just played a great example of Devil's Advocate here to show you that you can' just run off and say she was or was not justified without knowing *all* the facts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2009   #15
angryman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
If we all knew the details of the suit then we would be in a better position to argue the merit (or lack thereof) of the suit.

Some points:

1) If it were in his lap then the area that started to burn would have been easily extinguished - from the description, if that is at all accurate, the heat remained mostly contained to the pocket - hence melting the underwear. In the open the majority of the hear would have risen, and unless of course the kid just sat their in fascination as the thing burned on his leg for several and then continued to watch it as it became uncomfortable, and then *continued* to watch as enough thermal energy was passed into (or through) his jeans or shorts or whatever and into the Spandex material to melt it / burn it, then the kid is stupid to begin with - however, most people are allergic to pain because it hurts....

2) If the kid's mother had already broached the subject about how the devices were known to get hot, and was repeatedly assured by employees that that was the older generation, or else that it would not occur with this new product, then she has every right to sue.

If you, as an employee, tell me something that discounts what I have read in periodicals and / or online, and I am then convinced that what I read was hearsay, only to find out first hand that the reports were true and the employees willingly and knowingly lied to me to make a sale, you bet your ass I am gonna sue you too. And everyone else who agreed with you in making the sale.

Sell me a lemon, and I don't make lemonade - I make you pay for it.

And, considering that there have been plenty of *frivolous* lawsuits (as mentioned in the commentary underneath the article about the woman and McDonald's coffee) I'd say this is nowhere near frivolous. This is a product that is *meant* to be carried on your person, and what easier way to do so than in a pocket? Yet, if it is dangerous when carried like that, then there should be a consumer alert. If there isn't, the company that is making *millions* (I say it should be close to half a billion USD by now) should be willing to part with a mere .3% of their profits.

If my total profits of a product I sold was $100, and someone sued me for $0.30, do you think I would be pissed? And that on top of the fact that it was my manufacturing process that caused this and my negligence that ignored such reports in the past rather than posting a consumer alert?

Get real. Let's learn the facts first - I just played a great example of Devil's Advocate here to show you that you can' just run off and say she was or was not justified without knowing *all* the facts.
Couple things:

I agree she needs to seek damages if what happened was the truth. She has medical bills for the burns, and I am sure the kid was traumatized for a very short period, even though as I mentioned years from now the only thing remember will be money, and ipod going "pop". But $150,000? Frivolous, YES.

I think most of us are aware that we need to see all the facts, and regardless of the fact there is a post on the internet about it, we can't be in the courtroom, although I hope I remember to see if its justified or not.

As for the loss of profits, thats not what I was saying. Its the moral and principal. So it has nothing to do with if its justified or not.

Suing an employee who's job it is to sell you product is classic procedure these days, something I won't ever agree with. The company trained them to do this, and through experience, they believed what they were telling the customer. You can't possibly think they wanted to pass on this product knowing of the consequences. They are paid to sell, and again, I am going to point out they had no hand in manufacturing, packaging, or creating the product. They were told it could play music. Thats it. If a person is not intelligent enough to move to another model because the one she wants is cheaper, and makes that choice regardless of what she has heard..... Not to mention myself as a parent would never give my child something with this kind of information... but then I research before I buy, and understand not all people do and rely on sales knowledge.

A consumer alert needs a set required amount of incidents before being made public. It has not reached the required amount as of yet, prompting the company to continue sales... although I am sure they are looking into the rare happenings. Also, whoever supplied apple with the battery for its item needs to list these details, unless Apple made the battery from scratch as well.

So, keep in mind, Devil's Advocate, don't doubt everyone in one slot, or you make the same mistake you look to bring attention to.

(ps. Not trying to start an arguement, just clarifying my post as it seems some of it was off center in your eyes.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2009   #16
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by angryman View Post
Couple things:

I agree she needs to seek damages if what happened was the truth. She has medical bills for the burns, and I am sure the kid was traumatized for a very short period, even though as I mentioned years from now the only thing remember will be money, and ipod going "pop". But $150,000? Frivolous, YES.

I think most of us are aware that we need to see all the facts, and regardless of the fact there is a post on the internet about it, we can't be in the courtroom, although I hope I remember to see if its justified or not.

As for the loss of profits, thats not what I was saying. Its the moral and principal. So it has nothing to do with if its justified or not.

Suing an employee who's job it is to sell you product is classic procedure these days, something I won't ever agree with. The company trained them to do this, and through experience, they believed what they were telling the customer. You can't possibly think they wanted to pass on this product knowing of the consequences. They are paid to sell, and again, I am going to point out they had no hand in manufacturing, packaging, or creating the product. They were told it could play music. Thats it. If a person is not intelligent enough to move to another model because the one she wants is cheaper, and makes that choice regardless of what she has heard..... Not to mention myself as a parent would never give my child something with this kind of information... but then I research before I buy, and understand not all people do and rely on sales knowledge.

A consumer alert needs a set required amount of incidents before being made public. It has not reached the required amount as of yet, prompting the company to continue sales... although I am sure they are looking into the rare happenings. Also, whoever supplied apple with the battery for its item needs to list these details, unless Apple made the battery from scratch as well.

So, keep in mind, Devil's Advocate, don't doubt everyone in one slot, or you make the same mistake you look to bring attention to.

(ps. Not trying to start an arguement, just clarifying my post as it seems some of it was off center in your eyes.)
Thanks for playing the Advocate John.
I didn't think about the heat containment verses rising and escaping.

However, as I said before, Li-ion batteries don't just explode (or burn, catch fire, melt, get to 374 degrees) spontaneously. Something had to have happened to it.

I disagree with the need for a consumer alert. If we did that, then ANYTHING with a Lithium-Ion battery would have to be recalled.
EVERYTHING.
As far as I can tell (just from what I know; I could be wrong) this HAD to have been caused by the Li-ion battery (correct me if I am wrong here). And once again, they don't just 'splode.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
iOS 6 on iPod Touch 4G
Has anybody installed iOS 6 on an iPod Touch 4g? I have been hearing a lot of complaints and want to know how well it runs on the iPod Touch 4g.
Chillout Room
iPod Touch 4th Gen
Newegg.com - Apple - 32GB iPod Touch w/ Camera (4th Gen) I've decided to sell my iPhone 3GS (which I got used for $150 and used as an iPod Touch anyway just with a camera). I have found someone who will pay $150 for it. I'm selling it so that it will reduce the hole in my bank account that will...
Chillout Room
iPod Nano or iPod Touch?
I gotta choose one of 'em! Nano 16GB 5th gen or iPod 3th gen 8GB helppppppp talk about battery life and stuff I really gotta know!
Chillout Room
iPod Touch
Hello guys Is it worth buying an iPod Touch for watching HD movies or YouTube on HDTV? I just can't sort out this 576p output. iPod Touch is better or Zune HD?
Chillout Room
Ipod Touch.
Is there a free software out there that will transfer my Ipod music to my PC? There's plenty of software that cost $20 or more, but I don't want to spend money on something that should have been a feature in iTunes to begin with.
Music, Pictures & Video
Cant sync my ipod touch??
i have windows 7, itunes 9.0.1.8, ipod touch 2nd gen 3.0 jailbraked. I go into itunes and all looks good then i plug in my ipod, windows recognisez it then itunes freezes. I have to termnate the process from task manager. Is there any way to fix this or am i just going to have to wait for win7...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App