Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SNOW

06 Jan 2010   #11
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkXeno View Post
Im going to say this because it makes me laugh and really ticks off the ladies here at work that think its going to end the world....

Wheres this Global Warming thing I keep hearing about ???

I use that every chance I get. I love it!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #12
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
The problems in the UK are exacerbated because people think the government should grit and salt and clean all the roads... and that unlike the rest of Europe, people don't have the common sense to use snow tyres (tires...)



It's absolutely lamentable how the British mentality means everything stops after one inch of slush accumulates on the roads... airports, schools, buses, trains... and to top it all we don't have enough gas to meet demand... so we're having to import more at a considerable premium from Europe (which means Russia in truth...)
How much is gas (petro??) in your neck of the woods? Years ago Europe was alot higher than the USA, I doubt if it is now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #13
Qdos

 

Petrol costs about $7 USD a US gallon in the UK with duty...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jan 2010   #14
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Gas down the block is $2.51 per gal... I can remember .22 per gallon, but thats telling on myself....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #15
clunkfish

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by clunkfish View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
I've spent several entire winters at minus twenty degrees celcius, or colder, and the local Russian infrastructure coped just fine... the UK's skills at coping are all but non-existent
This kind of thing makes me cross - why be so negative? It's not "coping skills" that are lacking but the infrastructural requirements.
Really? So you're familiar with the, say, Russian infrastructure? Interesting... because the majority of snow clearing and road works in that nation are undertaken by women who're paid peanuts and are forced to work 12-15 hour shifts in dreadful conditions, with heavy emphasis on manual labour - however, that aside, snow tyres on public transport, plough blades on some buses... and similar tyres on private vehicles keeps the roads open and the schools and factories running normally...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by clunkfish View Post
Sure, we could have snowploughs on standby all over the country and snow tyres piled up in our sheds just in case we get another once in 25 years severe weather event, but do you think that is a sensible use of resources? Sheesh.
Did I advocate that? Not sure where LOL! However the damage to the UK economy runs at around 75 million each day things grind to a virtual halt. People die of exposure and through accidents that wouldn't happen if their vehicles were able to keep moving... and, as you rightly say, they'd only have to swap tyres for a short period in our winter - so they'd find a set of snow tyres would last them many years...

Perhaps you'd like to propose how the UK can stock enough rock salt in depots all around the country, with sufficient numbers of salt-gritting vehicles, and plenty of manpower to clear every route - even when a great many of those routes are perfectly navigible using studded tyres...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by clunkfish View Post
Have some respect for your fellow citizens, give them some credit and hey maybe we'll all be in a better place. I lived in the US, in an area where severe winter weather happened every year, and I had snow tyres ready to go. Now I live in the UK and I don't, and the reason for that is that like everyone else I have decided that to do so would be a waste of valuable resources.
I do have respect, and by suggesting ways to reduce losses in terms of both lives and the economy I take the view that my thoughts must equate to you believing that the Russians, Swiss, French, Germans, Austrians and Italians - amongst others - must all have some ridiculous kind of philosophy?

Odd then, wouldn't you say, how they fair so much better than we seem to!
My basic point is that it is miserablist and undermining of you to criticise your fellow citizens for struggling with weather conditions that occur only once every several decades. The official advice in the UK is travel only if absolutely and unavoidably necessary, and most people are doing exactly that. Expecting us all to buy snow tyres on the off chance that we'll get to use them once or twice or just possibly three times in a lifetime is perverse.

To put my point to you another way - do you have a boat parked in your garden just in case it rains more than expected? Do you have portable air conditioners stashed away in case there is a heatwave? Have you constructed an earthquake shelter? Didn't think so. However, should there indeed be one of these calamities and you are suffering as a result, you would not be happy if the rest of us had a go at you for failing to prepare for it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #16
clunkfish

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkXeno View Post
Im going to say this because it makes me laugh and really ticks off the ladies here at work that think its going to end the world....

Wheres this Global Warming thing I keep hearing about ???

I use that every chance I get. I love it!!!!
Hmmm. From Houston. Go figure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #17
Qdos

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by clunkfish View Post
Should there indeed be one of these calamities and you are suffering as a result, you would not be happy if the rest of us had a go at you for failing to prepare for it!
Where have I had a go at anyone? You don't seem to grasp the fact that I'm making perfectly reasonable and pertinent comparisons between the UK and our European neighbours...

Bet you'd feel differently if you got mowed down by a car which had slick road tyres just because it lost control on a sheet of ice... however, I digress... I'll let you talk theory - whilst I stick to the facts...

By the way, I originally came from part of North Somerset. In fact I used to work in a quarry there when I was a much younger man, and our works used to get begged to take their massive Caterpillar plant onto the roads regularly during almost every winter during the sixties and seventies (I left there after that point...) to clear the Somerset roads of snowdrifts... it wasn't a once in a quarter of a century event, it was year in year out predictable work on the Mendips...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #18
clunkfish

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by clunkfish View Post
Should there indeed be one of these calamities and you are suffering as a result, you would not be happy if the rest of us had a go at you for failing to prepare for it!
Where have I had a go at anyone? You don't seem to grasp the fact that I'm making perfectly reasonable and pertinent comparisons between the UK and our European neighbours...

Bet you'd feel differently if you got mowed down by a car which had slick road tyres just because it lost control on a sheet of ice... however, I digress... I'll let you talk theory - whilst I stick to the facts...

By the way, I originally came from part of North Somerset. In fact I used to work in a quarry there when I was a much younger man, and our works used to get begged to take their massive Caterpillar plant onto the roads regularly during almost every winter during the sixties and seventies (I left there after that point...) to clear the Somerset roads of snowdrifts... it wasn't a once in a quarter of a century event, it was year in year out predictable work on the Mendips...
OK, I give in - have just ordered a set of snow tyres

Actually, I travel around by motorbike (with a roof - a BMW C1, like in my avatar) so do not even try to drive the way the roads are now. Trains are running well though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #19
thefabe

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Gas down the block is $2.51 per gal... I can remember .22 per gallon, but thats telling on myself....
For me my first fillup was at .36 cents a gallon. We'd chip in and drive from the high desert in Cali to Santa Monica beach for under 4 bucks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #20
Qdos

 

Forums are for debate... if lively sometimes... anyway, at the moment death is being kept off the roads as far as I'm concerned since I'm on 'snow crutches' following knee surgery over Christmas...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help me out in Installing Mac OS X Snow
I'm a windows user and is using windows since childhood !! Now,being a techy user on these forums made me inclined to install Macintosh on my Acer 5738G which actually came out with pre-installed Windows 7 !! But i want Macintosh to install (or if dual boot with windows is possible) but is...
Virtualization
Ever seen snow?
Have you really? :) Snowflakes Under an Electron Microscope | Wired Science | Wired.com A Guy
Chillout Room
Snow for desktop
Hello,please anyone knows program for snow to fall on your desktop in seven? Thanks :)
Customization
Installation of Snow Leopard and Triple Boot(Windows + Windows + Snow)
I hope this question has a place in windows 7 forums; if not, forgive me. I have a ASUS G72 with Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz. I have one HDD and 4 partitions in it(c is windows 7 home premium x64, d is windows 7 ultimate x64, e is empty and i am planning to install snow leopard on e and f...
Installation & Setup
Another Two Feet Of Snow In NY
Sorry could'nt resist
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App