Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sometimes you just have to hate your life.

15 Feb 2010   #1
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 
Sometimes you just have to hate your life.

Alright so I'm essentially venting here, so bear with me.

Everyone here should know, I love video games. Particularly those relating to space, such as Dead Space or Mass Effect.

So I wanted to rent Mass Effect 2 since I figured I could beat it within a week or two, and didn't really feel like paying the full $60 for a game I'll likely get bored with, within 2-3 weeks after getting it.

So I checked out this website called Gamerang, was perfect for what I needed, I was reading and noticed that they require a 'credit' card as a payment method to ensure you are not a child and are an adult. Now that would be fine for the average person, but my family is rather poor and I am not yet 18, no one I know, in my family or friends, has a credit card.

So I said a few bad things out loud and moved on. I remembered Gamefly, which is essentially the same thing as Gamerang, but then I found out that I cannot use their service due to the previous person that had an account at this address, never returned a game. There was no number to call to get that cleared up and I'm not going to play email tag with them about it. So I moved on.

Figured, hey, I'll just rent it from my local rental store, which happens to be Blockbuster. I called, they had two Mass Effect 2's in stock. $8.99 for a one week rental, but they require a debit/credit card on file. Which my family also lacks a debit card.

In all, seems my only options are.. Play email tag with Gamefly or buy the game.

WHY does everything have to revolve around credit/debit cards?

--

I hate my life.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #2
Stevy22

Windows 7 and MAC
 
 

"WHY does everything have to revolve around credit/debit cards?"

True saying DUDE.......
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #3
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

I don't know if it would work in this situation, some some gift cards can be used as "credit cards" to set up accounts for things.....like you can buy an iTunes gift card and set up an account with that so you don't have to give them a credit card number. Maybe buying yourself a gift card of some sort , like a Visa or American Express one, would let you sign up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2010   #4
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noob View Post
I don't know if it would work in this situation, some some gift cards can be used as "credit cards" to set up accounts for things.....like you can buy an iTunes gift card and set up an account with that so you don't have to give them a credit card number. Maybe buying yourself a gift card of some sort , like a Visa or American Express one, would let you sign up.
Pre-paid debit cards wouldn't work on Gamerang, my friend uses it and I already asked. I do get more money tomorrow though I suppose I could use a pre-paid credit card on my Blockbuster account. Since all it needs to be able to do is charge $1 on whatever card I add to my account.

Still though, I shouldn't have to go out of my way to rent a game. That is ridiculous!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #5
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noob View Post
I don't know if it would work in this situation, some some gift cards can be used as "credit cards" to set up accounts for things.....like you can buy an iTunes gift card and set up an account with that so you don't have to give them a credit card number. Maybe buying yourself a gift card of some sort , like a Visa or American Express one, would let you sign up.
Pre-paid debit cards wouldn't work on Gamerang, my friend uses it and I already asked. I do get more money tomorrow though I suppose I could use a pre-paid credit card on my Blockbuster account. Since all it needs to be able to do is charge $1 on whatever card I add to my account.

Still though, I shouldn't have to go out of my way to rent a game. That is ridiculous!
Mass Effect 2 is worth buying but only if you have No 1, I clocked in 27hrs+, and it really is a fantastic game. As for the cost, over here I payed the equivalent of US $85. It was worth every cent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #6
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noob View Post
I don't know if it would work in this situation, some some gift cards can be used as "credit cards" to set up accounts for things.....like you can buy an iTunes gift card and set up an account with that so you don't have to give them a credit card number. Maybe buying yourself a gift card of some sort , like a Visa or American Express one, would let you sign up.
Pre-paid debit cards wouldn't work on Gamerang, my friend uses it and I already asked. I do get more money tomorrow though I suppose I could use a pre-paid credit card on my Blockbuster account. Since all it needs to be able to do is charge $1 on whatever card I add to my account.

Still though, I shouldn't have to go out of my way to rent a game. That is ridiculous!
Mass Effect 2 is worth buying but only if you have No 1, I clocked in 27hrs+, and it really is a fantastic game. As for the cost, over here I payed the equivalent of US $85. It was worth every cent.
I am borrowing 1 from a friend. Loving it, Zidane is helping me with things to (telling me more information about things in the game).

Great news.. my mom's BF apparently has a debit card on his blockbuster account so I'm renting under his name.. and I am getting a baconator (Yes, with all its bacon goodness).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #7
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Console or PC? I'd prefer PC 1 and 2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #8
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Console or PC? I'd prefer PC 1 and 2.
Xbox 360. I'd like to be able to use the PC versions but if you look at my specs, the Intel 4500MHD kind of kills any chance of gaming on here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #9
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Console or PC? I'd prefer PC 1 and 2.
Xbox 360. I'd like to be able to use the PC versions but if you look at my specs, the Intel 4500MHD kind of kills any chance of gaming on here.
Don't know about continuing your save files in the 360 versions, but for me, PC gaming is unbeatable. Looks better too. You are right though - Intel *shudder*.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #10
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Console or PC? I'd prefer PC 1 and 2.
Xbox 360. I'd like to be able to use the PC versions but if you look at my specs, the Intel 4500MHD kind of kills any chance of gaming on here.
Don't know about continuing your save files in the 360 versions, but for me, PC gaming is unbeatable. Looks better too. You are right though - Intel *shudder*.
Intel graphics are a disgrace. It works fine for basic things. I cannot stress the word 'basic' enough in that sentence.

I couldn't even play Halo 2 (PC) on lowest settings, lowest resolution. Was a waste of $20.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dont you just hate it when...
....you realize a split second later after sitting on the toilet ,that you forgot to check your 4 year old son hadn't wee'd on the seat :( feel free to add your own ( not wee, pet hates posts !)
Chillout Room
I hate the new Solitaire
I've been playing solitaire on my computer since? (well I can't really remember that far back) So when I first loaded Windows 7 (true also with Vista) I found that MS had actually paid some guy to mess it up the look and feel of Solitaire (expletives deleted). It looks really sick and doesn't...
Gaming
7, I Hate!
Hey guys, I just came from XP to 7 Ultimate 64Bit to be able to utilize my 6GB of RAM. As of now, 7 is making me made nuts as there are a few things that drive to the point where I feel like I'm using a Mac because it simply just does not make any sense! First thing I realized, I can't view...
General Discussion
DVD Drives Hate Me
I keep hoping that a new technology will come along soon to replace dvd drives so I can take these pieces of junk I've collected over the years and watch them burn. I finally got an Asus drive that I thought might actually work better and it did for a few months... now I'm back to getting read...
Hardware & Devices
something i hate
:mad: i was perusing the forum just looking for some thread topics that might interest me. i came across one where the op was asking for suggestions for a product (trying to leave things vague to protect identities). anyway, people chimed in and gave their input. pretty much after each input from...
Chillout Room
Why I Hate Windows 7
My new Windows 7 Ultimate update from Windows XP has made all my directories read only. This includes 2 external hard drives. The files in the folders are NOT read only. I have tried the following fixes but to no avail: a simple updating of the check box in the folder going to the properties...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App