Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB 3.0 capable devices?

27 Feb 2010   #11
Martin

7 Ultimate x64 RTM 7600.16385
 
 

Nice Zepher, how much did it cost and where did you get it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #12
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

$149 from Amazon.com. It belongs to a friend of mine. I am copying some data files for him.
I installed the USB 3.0 card in his PC and will do some more tests when I bring it back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #13
kronckew

Win 7 ultimate x64 sp1
 
 

i have a cheap usb2 iomega external 500gb hdd that was sharing bandwidth with two usb memory sticks and my wireless keyboard/mouse and wireless network card. i decided to add a usb card to give me more bandwidth, i went online to maplin (a parts store chain kinda like radio shack) and found the local branch had a 2-port usb3 pci-e card in stock, i figured i might as well splurge and spend the extra 10 for it rather than a usb2 one. went to maplin to pick it up, staff insisted they did not have one and they were not out yet. had them look it up, and lo and behold, they in fact had one. they located it and i took the prize home. works fine, usb sticks and the hdd work fine at usb2 speed, but with full speed. not seen any usb3 client devices here yet...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2010   #14
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
i have a cheap usb2 iomega external 500gb hdd that was sharing bandwidth with two usb memory sticks and my wireless keyboard/mouse and wireless network card. i decided to add a usb card to give me more bandwidth, i went online to maplin (a parts store chain kinda like radio shack) and found the local branch had a 2-port usb3 pci-e card in stock, i figured i might as well splurge and spend the extra 10 for it rather than a usb2 one. went to maplin to pick it up, staff insisted they did not have one and they were not out yet. had them look it up, and lo and behold, they in fact had one. they located it and i took the prize home. works fine, usb sticks and the hdd work fine at usb2 speed, but with full speed. not seen any usb3 client devices here yet...
Do they sell this one over there for a decent price?
Newegg.com - ASUS Model U3S6 USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Add-on card - Motherboard Accessories
This one has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 SATA 6Gb/s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #15
madtownidiot

 

The speed of an external HDD is still limited by the read/write speed of the HDD itself. Even USB 2.0 transfers data faster than a mechanical HDD is capable of, so a USB 3.0 external HDD is not going to be any faster than a USB 2.0 external HDD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #16
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
The speed of an external HDD is still limited by the read/write speed of the HDD itself. Even USB 2.0 transfers data faster than a mechanical HDD is capable of, so a USB 3.0 external HDD is not going to be any faster than a USB 2.0 external HDD
Mech Drives can transfer over 100MB/s, which is faster than USB2 2.0
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #17
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
The speed of an external HDD is still limited by the read/write speed of the HDD itself. Even USB 2.0 transfers data faster than a mechanical HDD is capable of, so a USB 3.0 external HDD is not going to be any faster than a USB 2.0 external HDD
Mech Drives can transfer over 100MB/s, which is faster than USB2 2.0
they can transfer over 100MB/s, in short bursts, but for larger file transfer even a faster HDD will only maintain 30-40 MB/s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #18
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
The speed of an external HDD is still limited by the read/write speed of the HDD itself. Even USB 2.0 transfers data faster than a mechanical HDD is capable of, so a USB 3.0 external HDD is not going to be any faster than a USB 2.0 external HDD
Mech Drives can transfer over 100MB/s, which is faster than USB2 2.0
they can transfer over 100MB/s, in short bursts, but for larger file transfer even a faster HDD will only maintain 30-40 MB/s
Are these above average then?


Attached Images
USB 3.0 capable devices?-st1500.jpg USB 3.0 capable devices?-1tb-black.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #19
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post

Are these above average then?
That's about average for the benchmark test, which isn't exactly accurate for practical purposes. Moving a folder that has files scattered all over the HDD, which is pretty common with HDDs that have been defragmented regularly, takes a little longer and I think is a more accurate representation of how fast a HDD is. Perhaps it isn't actually reading any slower, just takes a little longer to seek, but I've never gotten a HDD to maintain read/write speeds over 60MB/s (480 Mb/sec) for anything over a few seconds once it gets to the smaller files that are being moved. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, I don't care that much. It's not that important
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #20
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

You can find more of them available every week.

These have 2 USB 3.0 and 2 SATA 6Gb/s, 17 mobos.

Good to future proof when you can
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
64-bit Capable?!
Hello, I was just wondering if my PC can handle 64-bit version of windows. My friend has been forcing me to switch from 32 to 64 but I'm a little bit worried because I have only 2gb of ram. Any suggestions? Should I go for 64-bit without upgrading my ram or stay with 32-bit? Your answers will be...
General Discussion
Computer not digital capable
Hi, I have a new gaming computer with a high end video card and plenty of RAM and a high speed cable Internet connection. I also have a HDHomeRun TV cable unit which is listed to work with MS Media Center. When I set up my Media Center/TV connection it recognizes my HDHomeRun TV connection and...
Media Center
64bit capable
my computer is 64-bit capable...now my computer is 32bit OS n system...it is means that my computer can upgrade to 64bit OS??
Installation & Setup
Is XP capable of vitalization
If a person has Windows XP on his computer, can he install VMware and put Windows 7 on it as the guest operating system?
Virtualization
Is my graphics card 3D capable
I have a ATI Radeon 4350 HD with the latest Directx 11 and want to know if it is 3D capable?
Graphic Cards
Is my drive LightScribe capable
Hi everyone My laptop, Acer Aspire 5735z is equipped with an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT10N optical drive and I wonder if it is capable of writing (or printing) LightScribe DVDs. I searched on the internet and I can't find an answer, so here I am ^^ If it's not capable, is there a way to make it so,...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App