Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: difference between windows and mac??

11 Apr 2010   #11
bonecrusher

windows 7 enterprise (or so i want it to be)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
As you mentioned, Windows is based on DOS technology. Mac on the other hand is based off Unix. This is one of the reasons it is so stable, it runs off the same build blocks as Linux and other *nix systems.

Until recently, there was a marked difference between the functions of the two operating systems. For example, take Windows XP and Mac OS X. Windows XP and .....
thankyou notsograymatter, im sorry for asking this in the chillout room, as WHS has pointed out i cannot rep you, neither anyone else. so sorry for that, but i am new here and did not know about the limitations of repping in the forums.

if i can rep you someplace else i would, but i do not know if that would violate any rules that are in place.

please get back to me if i can do anything for you...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #12
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

you can change features on a mac and even run most software updates (excluding Safari and iTunes updates) without having to restart the Mac, and if a program freezes it doesn't take down the entire OS and force-quitting it is almost always immediate (none of this "windows is looking for a solution to the problem" crap)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #13
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Windows machine = personal computer
Apple / Mac running OSX = personal computer
a machine running Linux = personal computer

All the same things internally with differing methods of doing the same things externally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Apr 2010   #14
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
you can change features on a mac and even run most software updates (excluding Safari and iTunes updates) without having to restart the Mac, and if a program freezes it doesn't take down the entire OS and force-quitting it is almost always immediate (none of this "windows is looking for a solution to the problem" crap)
I dont know, I have seen this problem on both OS's. My wifes macbook pro had an issue with a game recently on stalling on exit. It wouldn't do anything for a few minutes, just stayed in game and couldn't do anything. Issues arise from any program put on either system. I have seen windows recover very well sometimes from issues. and I have seen it not. lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #15
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
you can change features on a mac and even run most software updates (excluding Safari and iTunes updates) without having to restart the Mac, and if a program freezes it doesn't take down the entire OS and force-quitting it is almost always immediate (none of this "windows is looking for a solution to the problem" crap)
I dont know, I have seen this problem on both OS's. My wifes macbook pro had an issue with a game recently on stalling on exit. It wouldn't do anything for a few minutes, just stayed in game and couldn't do anything. Issues arise from any program put on either system. I have seen windows recover very well sometimes from issues. and I have seen it not. lol
+1 although i do like the way that windows now seems to have a bit more "intelligence" regarding hanging programs, ie if a program hangs and you hit quit a couple of times it figured its not working properly and gives you the option of shutting it down, rather than having to force it through taskmanager most of the time like in XP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #16
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
Windows machine = personal computer
Apple / Mac running OSX = personal computer
a machine running Linux = personal computer

All the same things internally with differing methods of doing the same things externally.
+1 It's just an OS with different histories attached to each... The history of each OS shows where the direction of it's development went over time. Once we know the history, then we can understand the strength(s) and weakness(es) of each OS and comment accordingly .

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #17
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Hi IceFire, and the answer to your question is "yes". The only two main updates that I have done so far are 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 that have required me to restart on the Mac. Since these two updates are equal to an SP on Windows a restart is a necessary evil.

And, as to NTóWindows NT 3.0 was the first truly OS Microsoft but out that didn't use dos. NT at this point introduced NTSF file system for HDD's. This was back in the early 90's around 1992 or so (any one with the correct date is welcomed). Also, it was the first real 32 bit OS that Microsoft put out (before the famed Windows 95).

Also NT could read DOS drives, albeit DOS systems couldn't read NTFS (a good thing back in the day).

Also, some excellent answer to some great questions. Thanks to all for keeping it simple for us simple minded folks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #18
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
(any one with the correct date is welcomed)
July 1993 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #19
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
(any one with the correct date is welcomed)
July 1993 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT
Wasn't to far off (1992) not bad for some old fool who has had a couple of stokes. And, thanks for the correct answer (darn can't get my fingers working today).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
(any one with the correct date is welcomed)
July 1993 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT
Wasn't to far off (1992) not bad for some old fool who has had a couple of stokes. And, thanks for the correct answer (darn can't get my fingers working today).
I know what you are talking about. It's difficult to keep up with the youngsters.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Difference in RUN command box in Windows 7
I have two version of Windows 7 Ultimate. One at my office and one at my home. The one that is at my home contains the RUN dialog box that always opens programs in Admin Mode. At office ( I am not on any office-specific DOMAIN/WORKGROUP) my Win7 Ultimate RUN dialog box doesnt show this...
General Discussion
what is the difference between windows recovery and others?
my laptop have a recovery software (lenovo onekey restore) i want to know what is the difference between the one that windows 7 have
Backup and Restore
windows 32 bit & 64 bit no difference to me ?? why
i have intel 945 board (dell gx620) and i have dual boot up of xp 32bit with newly installed windows 7 64bit.. But my computer is showing 3.5gb ram out of 4 on BOTH WINDOWS. I installed windows 7 32bit first and was happy with it but as soon i read the CLAIM that "64 bit version utilizes ram...
Hardware & Devices
Difference Between WAIK & Windows PE
Guys, Could some explain to me if they are on in the same or seprate programs for diffent needs? Thanks
Software
Difference between versions of windows 7?
Is each higher version of windows 7 more stable than the previous one or is the stability equal for all versions? what If i get home premium will it be as stable as ultimate? What are the major differences?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App