Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The perfect operating system....

21 Apr 2010   #21
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

I agree with much of the first post. The perfect OS would allow me to choose everything I wanted, and nothing I didn't. Pretty simple.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Well, that's my version of a "perfect" OS...

zzz2496
Don't tell me. You work in sales for Linux?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #22
authorandrew

Windows 7 Home Basic 32-bit
 
 
Windows 8

Windows 7 is the best windows out there...but it's still windows, unfortunately. Here are the things for Windows 8 that would make it closer to a perfect OS for me:

OK, Vista was awful at this, Windows 7 improved, but there's still Win7 Home Starter (which barely deserves to be called an OS), Win7 Home Basic, Win7 Home Premium, and Win7 Ultimate/Professional. Enough versions....cut out the basics and give 'developing markets' the full deal. And the people who buy Ultimate (Tech geeks like me) know enough about computers, so you can give them that 'modular' system that you guys were talking about earlier. Seriously, cut Windows 8 down to one version, which would be like today's Home Premium. Add the modular system for advanced upgrades that normally would have come in Ultimate, and that's it. A user can have Windows 8, instead of a specific version. Maybe his Windows 8 will have a little bit more extra than mine...but it still would be Windows 8.

Totally redo all the settings in Windows 8...a unified control panel. Do you know how many Settings there are in Win7? And scattered all over the place too. A unified control panel where I can do it all in one place.

A new explorer. The breadcrumbs trail and drop down side menu are great, but wow us in Windows 8 with a completely new explorer...seriously, it needs to get better. Throw in a better search, more like Mac's spotlight (though Win7 is the best windows search I've used yet) as a small bonus.

Rewrite the core. Make security an integral part of the system. Don't give us security updates every week, instead give us an OS that's already inherently secure out of the box....i.e. don't make me install Avast! or AVG....that would be nice.

And on the subject of rewriting, Win7 did a fairly decent job removing legacy UI components, but a lot are left. Win8 needs to have NONE of those old buttons and animations, icons, whatever.

Give us ridiculously easy Bluetooth and network transfer stuff. I mean, it took me twenty minutes to send a Bluetooth file from my brother's computer to mine when I could have done it in two minutes with a pen drive.

Allow folders in the superbar...just a wishful thinking here. Jumplists are great but not for folders. Folders in the superbar and maybe even the stacks feature similar to mac.

Windows 7 came a long way from XP which is what I used before, but the above would make it my dream OS. And give us a new name...Vista was probably the most creative name used yet because you see a Vista through windows, but Windows 7 strikes me as a dumb name. So give us another good name like Vista had.

Those are my thoughts...what do you think about them?
Uriah
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #23
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Ok then. Just because you have a firewall does not mean you cannot be hacked.
Actually it does... The whole concept of a firewall is that nobody gets by it from the WAN side ... You can't connect to a machine you can't see...


Quote:
Now, what about stability updates? User interface updates? Service Packs?
Just because your system works now, does not mean it will in a week. Something you install (say a new program) can crash the computer. MS may have known about that and released a patch to cover it, which you didn't install.

See my point?
Actually... baring hardware failures... if my system works properly now, it will still work properly in 1500 years... unless I change something. You see the goal is to get the Operating System and various softwares stable enough that I don't have to think about the computer... I want to concentrate on writing code, paying bills, chatting with people, etc... I absolutely do not want to spend my time messing with OS screwups and updates gone bad... I want to USE the computer, not FIX it.

And If I did install a new program or an update to a program that crashed my system... it would last about 3 secongs longer than it takes to uninstall it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2010   #24
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Ok then. Just because you have a firewall does not mean you cannot be hacked.
Actually it does... The whole concept of a firewall is that nobody gets by it from the WAN side ... You can't connect to a machine you can't see...
First off, you can still see the router that the firewall is on.
Second, firewalls can be by-passed.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Now, what about stability updates? User interface updates? Service Packs?
Just because your system works now, does not mean it will in a week. Something you install (say a new program) can crash the computer. MS may have known about that and released a patch to cover it, which you didn't install.

See my point?
Actually... baring hardware failures... if my system works properly now, it will still work properly in 1500 years... unless I change something. You see the goal is to get the Operating System and various softwares stable enough that I don't have to think about the computer... I want to concentrate on writing code, paying bills, chatting with people, etc... I absolutely do not want to spend my time messing with OS screwups and updates gone bad... I want to USE the computer, not FIX it.

And If I did install a new program or an update to a program that crashed my system... it would last about 3 secongs longer than it takes to uninstall it.[/QUOTE]
Or unless something you did with your "stable" software messed it up through a bug in the OS or software code.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #25
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Ok then. Just because you have a firewall does not mean you cannot be hacked.
If it's configured properly it does.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
If you have a computer, eventually someone will give it a shot (not necessarily successfully).
Seriously? That sounds a bit like paranoia to me Bro. I ran XP-Pro on my test machine for over a year without a applying a single update, and didn't get a single infection [not counting tracking cookies]. No anti-virus software installed either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #26
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Ok then. Just because you have a firewall does not mean you cannot be hacked.
If it's configured properly it does.
Actually, a firewall can be by-passed. Period.
There will always be a way in.

I am not saying it is a plausible way, just saying it is possible.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
If you have a computer, eventually someone will give it a shot (not necessarily successfully).
Seriously? That sounds a bit like paranoia to me Bro. I ran XP-Pro on my test machine for over a year without a applying a single update, and didn't get a single infection [not counting tracking cookies]. No anti-virus software installed either.
I did not say infected. I said someone will eventually test your computer, even if they probably fail.
I unfortunately can find no information to back this up, but I do recall reading something about it before...

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #27
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Actually, a firewall can be by-passed. Period.
There will always be a way in.

I am not saying it is a plausible way, just saying it is possible.
Agreed. It is indeed possible. But highly unlikely.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I said someone will eventually test your computer, even if they probably fail.
I probably have the same chances of hitting the lottery, but yes, it can happen.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I unfortunately can find no information to back this up, but I do recall reading something about it before...
Huh? You totally lost me there Bro. Read about what?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #28
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
I agree with much of the first post. The perfect OS would allow me to choose everything I wanted, and nothing I didn't. Pretty simple.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Well, that's my version of a "perfect" OS...

zzz2496
Don't tell me. You work in sales for Linux?
No, I don't sell Linux for living... But I do get money from setting up servers running Linux... And for now, Linux made my whole computing experience a whole lot better (in server world). That's it

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #29
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Lordbob75, unless you know what/how Firewalls work, please don't say anything like "Second, firewalls can be by-passed.". There are MANY Different types of firewalls. Microsoft gave you the basic form of firewall. If you use an enterprise grade firewall and make it "super safe", as in nothing from "Internet" can go in, and everything that wants to go out are always checked, there is virtually NO WAY you can "bypass" it... Most of enterprise grade firewalls can even shutdown the connection if "something happens", which is not great for hackers... Some of them even have Deep Packet Inspection module. It could actually see what's coming and going... Unless you know what you're talking about, don't say a foolish things about firewall... Please.

zzz2496

P.s: Some types of Firewall: NAT/PAT/Stateful. Maybe I'll make a guide about it... If you combine it with an IDS/IPS system, it'll take the basic NAT/PAT/Stateful firewall to a whole different level...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #30
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
No, I don't sell Linux for living... But I do get money from setting up servers running Linux... And for now, Linux made my whole computing experience a whole lot better (in server world). That's it

zzz2496
You know, I've been intrigued with that OS for quite some time now, but have yet to give it a go. I guess there's just too much work for me personally with Windows, to start to venture into unchartered waters with Linux. I'm thinking it would be like starting all over again with a different OS. It took me FOREVER to get a firm grasp on Windows [which pales in comparrison to some IT pros]. So it's the thought of even more endless work that has kept me from checking it out. You know what I mean?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Lordbob75, unless you know what/how Firewalls work, please don't say anything like "Second, firewalls can be by-passed.".
Well, that was kinda' abrasive, but you said it, not me....LOL

If anyone thinks they can hack my firewall, then by all means give it a shot. Need my IP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Operating system does not show up in System Recovery Options
Hey guys. I have an Acer laptop with Windows 7 that has crashed and will not boot. I do not have a Windows 7 CD nor do I have the money to pay for one. When my computer boots up, it says "BOOTMGR IS MISSING" and I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it loops back around to that page. I created a System...
General Discussion
What is the best operating system for my pc?
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz 4.1 3.0 Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB Graphics VIA Chrome9 HC IGP WDDM 1.1 3.1 Gaming graphics 262 MB Total available graphics memory 3.0 Primary hard disk 18GB Free (77GB Total) 5.7 Windows 7 Ultimate System ...
General Discussion
New operating system
Hey guys I was wondering that if I was going to do a fresh install other than formatting the HD is there anything else I need to clear that like stays to the motherboard. Someone told me that the registry stays with the computer not the hard drive?
BSOD Help and Support
Missing operating system" error massage when system starts
Hai, "Missing operating system" massage is coming when i start my system and i am not able to start. I think because , i had given "mark partition as active" option for one hard dive (E) in disk management when last time i opened. it did not have any data. i did not know, this will make any...
General Discussion
operating system not found in system recovery
Hello everyone, I am trying to do a system restore from the install disc because I can't boot. I followed this tutorial: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html using method two. At step 5, the only operating system listed is Vista (which I don't have and never have...
Backup and Restore
Keep One Operating System
atm sorry for posting it here i actually posted the same topic on vista forums but no one seems to reply well i just wanted to know that how to remove vista from double booting with xp:sarc: please reply thanks in adv.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App