Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The perfect operating system....

21 Apr 2010   #61
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by loaba View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Pretty much just pick some dumb shit who'll never understand and design your software for him... right?
It works for Apple.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #62
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Anyway, the perfect OS for me for now would be the "Perfect Hypervisor", that enables me to convey what hardware under the hypervisor without giving it a full control. I prefer a Hypervisor that doesn't virtualize everything 100%, so by this case, if my underlying 3D accelerator hardware is made by NVIDIA, then all of my guest OS running on top of my Hypervisor MUST install Nvidia display driver and including the hypervisor it self (by installing nvidia hypervisor display driver of somekind). Everything runs at close to native speed yet still enabled me to run multiple OS using bare metal approach... The base of this technology is already there, it's called IOMMU, I don't know when Intel/AMD/Nvidia will enable users to exploit it...

zzz2496

Edit: If I can't have a perfect OS now, I'd be glad to be able to run many close to perfect OS side by side...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #63
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Lordbob75, unless you know what/how Firewalls work, please don't say anything like "Second, firewalls can be by-passed.". There are MANY Different types of firewalls. Microsoft gave you the basic form of firewall. If you use an enterprise grade firewall and make it "super safe", as in nothing from "Internet" can go in, and everything that wants to go out are always checked, there is virtually NO WAY you can "bypass" it... Most of enterprise grade firewalls can even shutdown the connection if "something happens", which is not great for hackers... Some of them even have Deep Packet Inspection module. It could actually see what's coming and going... Unless you know what you're talking about, don't say a foolish things about firewall... Please.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Microsoft has people so totally brainwashed... it's sad really.

When on Win2000 --before there were automatic updates-- I would get up in the morning, turn on my computers, go grab a coffee, flip through my email, maybe catch up with a forum ot two... and then fire up one of my programming languages and start pounding code... No Firewalls, No Automatic Updates, No System Restore... and here I am creating programs that well could have mangled my system through my own error... and you know what? In all those years... Not one problem that I didn't cause for myself... Not one.

Now the scernario has change radically... We all NEED our Auto-this and Reversible-that... or we think we're going to die... So some dumbass programmer at microsoft makes a change in a DLL, sends it out on Automatic Updates because he's miles behind his quota... We all very obediently install this latest and greatest update to our systems and within a few minuts about half the world starts having problems with their machines... It CAN'T be the OS... it's perfect. It CAN'T be this update, they're good for us... So why is my computer --the one that worked right for years-- suddenly giving me all this grief.

In point of fact... Once your system is stable and working... Automatic updates are far more likely to cause problems than they are to fix them.

Really... think about it... You're saying "What if I did something with my software that caused problems"... but you are perfectly willing to let a huge corporation on the far side of the continent do exactly that, without your consent and possibly without your knowledge...
Ok, so two things:
1) You are really going to argue that you can make a firewall 100% unhackable, 100% sercure?
Seriously?

2) I never once said that an Update had no chance of doing something bad, I merely said that they can fix things that you may not have known were broke.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2010   #64
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Lordbob75, unless you know what/how Firewalls work, please don't say anything like "Second, firewalls can be by-passed.". There are MANY Different types of firewalls. Microsoft gave you the basic form of firewall. If you use an enterprise grade firewall and make it "super safe", as in nothing from "Internet" can go in, and everything that wants to go out are always checked, there is virtually NO WAY you can "bypass" it... Most of enterprise grade firewalls can even shutdown the connection if "something happens", which is not great for hackers... Some of them even have Deep Packet Inspection module. It could actually see what's coming and going... Unless you know what you're talking about, don't say a foolish things about firewall... Please.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Microsoft has people so totally brainwashed... it's sad really.

When on Win2000 --before there were automatic updates-- I would get up in the morning, turn on my computers, go grab a coffee, flip through my email, maybe catch up with a forum ot two... and then fire up one of my programming languages and start pounding code... No Firewalls, No Automatic Updates, No System Restore... and here I am creating programs that well could have mangled my system through my own error... and you know what? In all those years... Not one problem that I didn't cause for myself... Not one.

Now the scernario has change radically... We all NEED our Auto-this and Reversible-that... or we think we're going to die... So some dumbass programmer at microsoft makes a change in a DLL, sends it out on Automatic Updates because he's miles behind his quota... We all very obediently install this latest and greatest update to our systems and within a few minuts about half the world starts having problems with their machines... It CAN'T be the OS... it's perfect. It CAN'T be this update, they're good for us... So why is my computer --the one that worked right for years-- suddenly giving me all this grief.

In point of fact... Once your system is stable and working... Automatic updates are far more likely to cause problems than they are to fix them.

Really... think about it... You're saying "What if I did something with my software that caused problems"... but you are perfectly willing to let a huge corporation on the far side of the continent do exactly that, without your consent and possibly without your knowledge...
Ok, so two things:
1) You are really going to argue that you can make a firewall 100% unhackable, 100% sercure?
Seriously?

2) I never once said that an Update had no chance of doing something bad, I merely said that they can fix things that you may not have known were broke.

~Lordbob
YES.

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #65
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Lordbob75, I have several reading material for you:
1. NAT
2. PAT
3. IDS
4. IPS
5. DPI
6. Stateful firewall

These are technologies that are used for keeping a network safe. If you want 100% safety, stack these technologies several layers deep, it won't miss anything, but... it'll cost you 5 to 6 digit figures, maybe more and each month will cost you quite some money to pay the network administrator and several log analyzers. But it will give you 100% bulletproof network defense.

zzz2496

P.s: To compare this kind of setup with regular "modem/router/firewall box that came from ISP" setup -> Little box from ISP = "a door made from piece of thin paper" defense equipment, the setup above is a nuclear/ICBM proof self sustaining underground facilities complete with multi level security checks with multi level monitoring (audio/visual/thermal/motion/weight) system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #66
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
1) You are really going to argue that you can make a firewall 100% unhackable, 100% sercure?
Seriously?
You have to understand how these things work...

Before you are going to gain access to anything you have to be able to connect to a PORT on the firewall. A Port is merely a software contrivance consisting of a channel number inside a TCP/IP packet. Now... even if you do manage to connect to a port, you've accomplished nothing unless there is something LISTENING to that port. Listening simply means repeatedly checking the buffers for a port to see if there's anything there. Even then you still have to pass commands "Send File", "Format C:" whatever, that the listener (or client) knows how to execute. This by itself is extremely secure...

TCP connects are not simple processes either. There is an entire protocal defined for connecting to a port. Get it wrong and it won't connect. Opening a port in Winsock networking (as defined in the Windows Software Development Kit) is a process of about 15 to 20 software steps involving half a dozen procedure calls. Connecting to that port is almost as complex again. Merely knowing someone's IP address gets you nothing... You can't simply stuff commands into their address and watch their system melt no matter how hard you try.

Now add in a Firewall that basically takes packets from the WAN side and drops them unless a listener is holding the target port open and you've got a pretty much impenitrable barrier. Opening a port on a router's firewall is a whole protocal of it's own as well... I can set up a listener on my computer, opening as many ports as I want to and the router is happy to simply ignore them unless I complete a set of commands sent to --and here we go-- a specific port on the router's admin IP, following it's own listener's protocals for opening an outide port for incomming connections...

The net result of this is that when correctly set up your attempts to bypass the firewall will simply result in whatever packets you send to that IP address disappearing into thin air. No connection, no entry... no listener, no entry... no protocal, no entry... and on and on.

In fact, as I commented earlier most hacking is opportunistic. Some "just smart enough to be dangerous" IT guy leaves a system admin port open AND the router is not protecting it AND you happen to know the protocals... MAYBE you could get inside and try some telnet...

Really, I kid you not... This TV show stuff where some guy gets into a computer in 20 seconds or less, wrecks havoc on it and then leaves no trace... it simply that... TV show stuff. In real life it's as simple as "If you can't connect to it, you are crap out of luck."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #67
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
1) You are really going to argue that you can make a firewall 100% unhackable, 100% sercure?
Seriously?
You have to understand how these things work...

Before you are going to gain access to anything you have to be able to connect to a PORT on the firewall. A Port is merely a software contrivance consisting of a channel number inside a TCP/IP packet. Now... even if you do manage to connect to a port, you've accomplished nothing unless there is something LISTENING to that port. Listening simply means repeatedly checking the buffers for a port to see if there's anything there. Even then you still have to pass commands "Send File", "Format C:" whatever, that the listener (or client) knows how to execute. This by itself is extremely secure...

TCP connects are not simple processes either. There is an entire protocal defined for connecting to a port. Get it wrong and it won't connect. Opening a port in Winsock networking (as defined in the Windows Software Development Kit) is a process of about 15 to 20 software steps involving half a dozen procedure calls. Connecting to that port is almost as complex again. Merely knowing someone's IP address gets you nothing... You can't simply stuff commands into their address and watch their system melt no matter how hard you try.

Now add in a Firewall that basically takes packets from the WAN side and drops them unless a listener is holding the target port open and you've got a pretty much impenitrable barrier. Opening a port on a router's firewall is a whole protocal of it's own as well... I can set up a listener on my computer, opening as many ports as I want to and the router is happy to simply ignore them unless I complete a set of commands sent to --and here we go-- a specific port on the router's admin IP, following it's own listener's protocals for opening an outide port for incomming connections...

The net result of this is that when correctly set up your attempts to bypass the firewall will simply result in whatever packets you send to that IP address disappearing into thin air. No connection, no entry... no listener, no entry... no protocal, no entry... and on and on.

In fact, as I commented earlier most hacking is opportunistic. Some "just smart enough to be dangerous" IT guy leaves a system admin port open AND the router is not protecting it AND you happen to know the protocals... MAYBE you could get inside and try some telnet...

Really, I kid you not... This TV show stuff where some guy gets into a computer in 20 seconds or less, wrecks havoc on it and then leaves no trace... it simply that... TV show stuff. In real life it's as simple as "If you can't connect to it, you are crap out of luck."
CommonTater... really? You really typed it all? I have to commend your generosity, supplying all that info... I've had my time - all I do now is link them to some materials that I know... You are one good person, CommonTater
zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #68
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Really, I kid you not... This TV show stuff where some guy gets into a computer in 20 seconds or less, wrecks havoc on it and then leaves no trace... it simply that... TV show stuff. In real life it's as simple as "If you can't connect to it, you are crap out of luck."
Never once have I said it was easy or plausible.
I merely said it could be done.

I still maintain that no firewall can be 100% secure, no matter what. There will always be a way past it.

CommonTater, that was a well written explanation, thank you. Still, no matter how secure you believe it can be, there are 2 problems:
1) Whether it is possible to actually combine them all (I don't actually know)
2) There will still be a way around it.

While I may sound paranoid or something saying all this, I am just saying that it is impossible for anything to be 100% secure.
Also, I am only in High School (senior) and I will be going to college as a Computer Engineer starting this September. I have zero experience working in the real world, and have yet to learn a lot of what most members on here already know.
That said, I don't mean that I don't know anything either...

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #69
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
CommonTater... really? You really typed it all? I have to commend your generosity, supplying all that info... I've had my time - all I do now is link them to some materials that I know... You are one good person, CommonTater
zzz2496
It helps to be a fast typist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2010   #70
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
1) You are really going to argue that you can make a firewall 100% unhackable, 100% sercure?
Seriously?
You have to understand how these things work...
Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I learned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Operating system does not show up in System Recovery Options
Hey guys. I have an Acer laptop with Windows 7 that has crashed and will not boot. I do not have a Windows 7 CD nor do I have the money to pay for one. When my computer boots up, it says "BOOTMGR IS MISSING" and I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it loops back around to that page. I created a System...
General Discussion
What is the best operating system for my pc?
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz 4.1 3.0 Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB Graphics VIA Chrome9 HC IGP WDDM 1.1 3.1 Gaming graphics 262 MB Total available graphics memory 3.0 Primary hard disk 18GB Free (77GB Total) 5.7 Windows 7 Ultimate System ...
General Discussion
New operating system
Hey guys I was wondering that if I was going to do a fresh install other than formatting the HD is there anything else I need to clear that like stays to the motherboard. Someone told me that the registry stays with the computer not the hard drive?
BSOD Help and Support
Missing operating system" error massage when system starts
Hai, "Missing operating system" massage is coming when i start my system and i am not able to start. I think because , i had given "mark partition as active" option for one hard dive (E) in disk management when last time i opened. it did not have any data. i did not know, this will make any...
General Discussion
operating system not found in system recovery
Hello everyone, I am trying to do a system restore from the install disc because I can't boot. I followed this tutorial: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html using method two. At step 5, the only operating system listed is Vista (which I don't have and never have...
Backup and Restore
Keep One Operating System
atm sorry for posting it here i actually posted the same topic on vista forums but no one seems to reply well i just wanted to know that how to remove vista from double booting with xp:sarc: please reply thanks in adv.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App