Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Earthquake thread

23 Aug 2011   #351
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Earthquakes in the east coast are far different than earthquakes in the west coast. Here such a quake might not be felt from one end of the bay to the other. There they can be felt for 500 miles. Yes, the New Madrid quake fault is a ticking time bomb. Not only will it be felt far and wide, but the building codes aren't made for earthquakes as they are here in the west. There were reports of rivers running backwards and such

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #352
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I'm not sure about rivers, but I know that one river ran backwards...the Mississippi. I wasn't aware of it til a bit earlier, when I googled an article about the comet that I mentioned:

1811-12 New Madrid Earthquakes, A NEO Connection?

Apparently, some believe that quake was set off by the comet striking the Earth in an Arkansas swamp, possibly at the location of an erstwhile lake call Saint Francis Lake, or possibly just a fragment of the comet. If that were true, it would mean that the New Madrid faults were not directly responsible for the quake, and possibly that the faults were at least partially created by the impact of the meteorite.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it seems that novel that I spoke of also mentioned the Ohio River running backwards too, so that would make "river" a plural.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #353
Airbot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Now a 7.0 in Peru.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Aug 2011   #354
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Now a 7.0 in Peru.


That's good sized one mate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #355
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Now a 7.0 in Peru.


That's good sized one mate.
It certainly is. I'm just glad I live in a "stable" part of the world. Never more than a gentle shake here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #356
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post




It certainly is. I'm just glad I live in a "stable" part of the world. Never more than a gentle shake here.
Don't say that too loud mate. Earthquake thread-waiting.gif


My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #357
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post




It certainly is. I'm just glad I live in a "stable" part of the world. Never more than a gentle shake here.
Don't say that too loud mate. Attachment 171924
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #358
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

The only earthquake that I ever felt was back in the 90s, immediately after arriving in California. I was parked on the road between LAX and the water late one night, and I was outside of my trailer working on something. I suddenly had a pronounced pang of fear, as though someone was coming at me from the rear, although I physically sensed nothing. When I wheeled around, it felt as though the devil had passed below my feet heading toward the water. When I turned again, I saw the streetlight rocking back and forth, and I knew what had happened. I was surprised to learn that the epicenter of the quake was where it felt as though it was traveling to, rather than from, because it was in the water off Malibu. I'm glad it was only a small quake (5.0) or something like that, because it was more than enough for me. I have always lived in Tornado Alley, and I will take a tornado over an earthquake any day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #359
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
The only earthquake that I ever felt was back in the 90s, immediately after arriving in California. I was parked on the road between LAX and the water late one night, and I was outside of my trailer working on something. I suddenly had a pronounced pang of fear, as though someone was coming at me from the rear, although I physically sensed nothing. When I wheeled around, it felt as though the devil had passed below my feet heading toward the water. When I turned again, I saw the streetlight rocking back and forth, and I knew what had happened. I was surprised to learn that the epicenter of the quake was where it felt as though it was traveling to, rather than from, because it was in the water off Malibu. I'm glad it was only a small quake (5.0) or something like that, because it was more than enough for me. I have always lived in Tornado Alley, and I will take a tornado over an earthquake any day.
I think most of us in Quake country feel the opposite. I guess it's what you're used to though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2011   #360
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I understand that, but considering the fact that I have never seen a tornado, despite living decades in an area known for them, it is easy to not be overly concerned about them. I wonder how many Californians that have spent an equal amount of time in that state can say the same? The idea of being buried alive in the rubble is not something that I would care for at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Earthquake in Northern California
I was awoken by a significant earthquake at 3:20AM this morning. It was a pretty good rolling, then a few strong jolts, maybe 15 seconds. No damage here, just an exciting ride. But based on the strength, and not knowing where the epicenter was, it occurred to me it could be a bad quake somewhere if...
Chillout Room
#Earthquake! Tweets Beat Official Quake Alerts
Source Source 2
Chillout Room
LA Earthquake
Has anyone in CA felt a earthquake? It was so scary!
Chillout Room
Earthquake-like on my screen!!!
Win7, WLMail2011, Firefox browser Hello, from time to time a sort of an earthquake happens on my screen with all windows flying in and out, when I click on the red X to stop it, instead it multiplies the browser icons in the task bar, if I try to open a file it also multiplies itself, writing is...
General Discussion
Oklahoma Earthquake?
I was quite surprised that ~20 minutes ago, that my apartment started shaking for a few moments. While some Californians would find this too common to comment, it is very rare here. I have NEVER felt an earthquake here before, even though Googling, I found that there are a few minor earthquakes...
Chillout Room
What is a thread? (On a CPU)
I've always wanted to know exactly what a thread is. How does a thread differ from a core? Answer in anyway you want, even if it's a link to a webpage that explains it :)
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:08.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App