Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Using a Cardboard Box!

22 Apr 2010   #11
loaba

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
But the ones that most computer people --including case manufacturers-- never seem to consider... Shielding and Grounding.
For this reason alone I wouldn't do it. I assume you have a serviceable PSU, so you'd be better served by picking up a >$50.00 chassis from an online vendor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #12
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Are there still people that have big home base CB radios? I know truck drivers still use CB radios, but I would have thought the Web would have taken over the home market, for the people that like to talk.


Attached Thumbnails
Using a Cardboard Box!-comicad_cb_radio.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #13
DarkDavil

7 x64/ Back-Track 4
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post

But secondly there's the little matter of radio frequency interference. A metal case acts like a Faraday Cage that does two very important things... It keeps strong outside signals from getting into the electronics of your computer and it keeps the rather nasty radio frequencies that travel about inside a computer from getting out of the case.

This accmplishes two things for you... First; that freaky CBer with the huge antenna down the block isn't going to cause false reboots everytime he keys his transmitter and Second; he's not going to show up at your door complaining that you're wiping out his receivers.

So, if you're looking for good reasons to buy a nice sturdy metal case, now you have them.
You can line your house with tinfoil to offset this.
Possibly my box I think a nice and aluminum-y shiny cardboard box would do the trick? Would it not? :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Apr 2010   #14
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Are there still people that have big home base CB radios? I know truck drivers still use CB radios, but I would have thought the Web would have taken over the home market, for the people that like to talk.
There are still tons of CBers out there and some of them are using absolutely ridiculous amounts of power... and don't forget all the other sources of RFI... Ham Radio (still popular amongst the seniors); commercial broadcasters; police fire and ambulance; military, microwave ovens, lightning... even the lowly kid next door with his $30 FRS walkie talkies can make a mess.

I only used the CB example for a little comedy...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #15
DarkDavil

7 x64/ Back-Track 4
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Are there still people that have big home base CB radios? I know truck drivers still use CB radios, but I would have thought the Web would have taken over the home market, for the people that like to talk.
There are still tons of CBers out there and some of them are using absolutely ridiculous amounts of power... and don't forget all the other sources of RFI... Ham Radio (still popular amongst the seniors); commercial broadcasters; police fire and ambulance; military, microwave ovens, lightning... even the lowly kid next door with his $30 FRS walkie talkies can make a mess.

I only used the CB example for a little comedy...
Is it like honestly THAT bad? Could it just randomly shut-off/restart my cardboard-box based computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #16
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDavil View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Are there still people that have big home base CB radios? I know truck drivers still use CB radios, but I would have thought the Web would have taken over the home market, for the people that like to talk.
There are still tons of CBers out there and some of them are using absolutely ridiculous amounts of power... and don't forget all the other sources of RFI... Ham Radio (still popular amongst the seniors); commercial broadcasters; police fire and ambulance; military, microwave ovens, lightning... even the lowly kid next door with his $30 FRS walkie talkies can make a mess.

I only used the CB example for a little comedy...
Is it like honestly THAT bad? Could it just randomly shut-off/restart my cardboard-box based computer?
Yep... it could. And not just your computer... Some incidents that I know of...

1) Strange underwater voices coming from a pinball machine... Ham Radio operator with a bad antenna connection was invading the sound effects amplifier.

2) Motion Sensor lights come on repeately without apparent cause... CBer using nearly 10,000 watts of power, more than 2 miles away, interfering with all kinds of stuff for nearly a 10 mile radius.

3) Wireless Router locks up at random intervals... Ham Radio Operator on next balcony causing resets when he used his walkie talkie. Further investigation also showed that the router was wiping out about half of the HROs receiver dial.

4) (and my favorite) Really distorted voices coming from computer. This was a CBer, again using ridiculous power, getting into the computer's sound card and causing badly distorted signals in the speakers.


AND, don't forget this is a two way street...

5) I'm called into look at the receiver of a taxi company's radio setup. They figure it's something minor like a bad speaker... I took it home to get my tools at it... it worked perfectly. On further investigation they were being wiped out by the CPU clock of one of their tenante living above their office... Whenever he went out the problem cleared up... Dude had an all clear lexan case... Zero shielding.


So, yes RFI is a real problem and one of the hardest to troublshoot... It could be the unshielded router messing with your FM Radio (which is pretty obvious) or, as in the one example, it could be some freaky CBer, miles away.

Will it happen to you? I honestly don't know... Got any big antennas nearby?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #17
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

Could you make a faraday cage from window bug netting or whatever it's called?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #18
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Could you make a faraday cage from window bug netting or whatever it's called?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and simpler to just buy a $40.00 case?

(And don't even get me started on the quality of cases...)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #19
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

depends on what you have lying around the house.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #20
LADYPINKtomato1

Windows 8 - 64-bit
 
 

I can tell it's almost the weekend.. YOU guys are losing it !!!!..
However...
Enjoy it also.. we all need to laugh till our tummies hurt.. ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cardboard PC
Just found this old YooToob video. Review: Recompute Cardboard PC | Linux Journal i6E_MW0pvj8
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App