Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Home Server v2, What do you think about it?

29 Apr 2010   #11
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

zzz2496,

You didn't make me mad in any way. I think it's fun and education to discuss these things.

#1) Backups. I understand where you are coming from with using Macrium Reflect. I've used that at work, and own a copy of Acronis True Image 2010 at home and can do the same thing. I find it quite nice for average home users though that backup is just built into Home Server. No need for 3rd party products or any license fees.

#2). I use webmain as well on my CentOS boxes. I didn't realize popping disks out of an LVM was as easy as it was. I'll give that a look on a VM here shortly.

Thanks for your response.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #12
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
zzz2496,

You didn't make me mad in any way. I think it's fun and education to discuss these things.

#1) Backups. I understand where you are coming from with using Macrium Reflect. I've used that at work, and own a copy of Acronis True Image 2010 at home and can do the same thing. I find it quite nice for average home users though that backup is just built into Home Server. No need for 3rd party products or any license fees.

#2). I use webmain as well on my CentOS boxes. I didn't realize popping disks out of an LVM was as easy as it was. I'll give that a look on a VM here shortly.

Thanks for your response.
You're welcome I'm glad that you're not angry By the way, I can use a lot more sophisticated backup/restore solution, for now - Macrium Reflect's remote image access is probably the closest to word "easy". You can always use a Live CD/DVD Linux and copy the image to a local volume then do a restore, but it's not "easy" ... As for Webmin's LVM, I forgot the exact version, but there was a rewrite in LVM module IIRC, so before you test anything, upgrade your Webmin to the latest version. I never EVER use an easy LVM interface than Webmin's. Yes, it's not intuitive from a "regular joe" stand point, but it's MUCH easier than CLI, I'll give you that .

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #13
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Yes, it's not intuitive from a "regular joe" stand point, but it's MUCH easier than CLI, I'll give you that .
Come on, it's just pvcreate, vgextend, vgreduce, lvextend...yadda, yadda, yadda.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Apr 2010   #14
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Heh one thing not mentioned. WHS (ver 1) is in fact Windows Server 2003 with all the power and features of that original distribution! you CAN go in as an experienced admin and do all kinds of fancy crazy crap (assuming you know what you are doing)! I assume (hope) that V2 is based on server 2008?

The extremely simplified WHS interface is nothing more than a simple home user oriented config tool for an otherwise fairly powerful server OS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #15
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Yes, it's not intuitive from a "regular joe" stand point, but it's MUCH easier than CLI, I'll give you that .
Come on, it's just pvcreate, vgextend, vgreduce, lvextend...yadda, yadda, yadda.
I mean in "visual" sense... I created most of my LVM LVs using CLI, but seeing what I'm about to do is much more "satisfying"...

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #16
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
I assume (hope) that V2 is based on server 2008?
Yes, it's 2008 R2.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
The extremely simplified WHS interface is nothing more than a simple home user oriented config tool for an otherwise fairly powerful server OS...
Yes and for a very low price as far as MS licensing goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #17
blade1269

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hey

Were can i get the download???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #18
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Blade,

You can get it at Microsoft Connect - Windows Home Server after you register and sign up as a beta tester there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2010   #19
blade1269

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hey,

Brink, Big thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2010   #20
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

You're welcome Blade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I need to connect to my job's server from home on Windows 7 Home Prem
Ok so my original computer was a Windows 7 Home Premium and that's the PC I used to work. I had REMOTE DESKTOP on it, it worked fine and yes it was a Windows 7 Home Premium..but yesterday my original pc got fried and smoke came out of it so I am afraid to turn it on. I am now using my back pc,...
Network & Sharing
Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2
I have a file server at home with a Quad core, 4gb ram, and a 3tb of storage. It is running Ubuntu Desktop and sharing video files primarily. From my school I have access to a free copy of Windows Server 2008 R2. Other than the server I have 2 Windows 7 desktops, 1 Windows 7 laptop and 1 Windows...
Software
Windows Server Update Services and Windows Home Server -- worth doing?
Windows Updates have been a real thorn in my side since moving to the country where I have limited bandwidth ISP. I have 6-7 Windows PCs I (try to) keep updated, both XP and W7. I've tried downloading updates just ONCE using the Microsoft Update Catalog, but then I still have to note what pc needs...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows home server vs Server 2008 R2
I'm trying to decide between Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 for my home server PC. Ordinarily it would be a clear cut choice, but I've got a free copy of Server 2008 R2 through my academic MSDN subscription. I'd like to avoid spending extra money if Server 2008 R2 would do the job....
Software
Windows Home Server now $69
Not sure how many people have held off on WHS but at this price it would be worth testing and discarding if it does not meet your needs Microsoft Windows Home Server OEM at TigerDirect.com
News
Introducing a new home for the Windows Home Server Blog
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App