Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wired Outs Guy Who Found Apple G4

02 May 2010   #11
ThePizzaMan

Windows 7 Ulitimate Beta 32 Bit, Windows Vista 32 Bit, Ubuntu 9.10 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I think it should be a moot point whether or not the guy who found it committed a crime. The raid and subsequent court proceedings show that there are other problems in this court system. The raid was unlawful, and all material needs to be returned to the editor. Apple needs to make a public apology for violating his rights, and shut the hell up about.

Grow up.
I am so SICK of immaturity and stupidity in America.

~Lordbob
that makes two of us
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #12
loaba

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Help me understand something; why is it okay to steal from a corporation?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #13
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by loaba View Post
Help me understand something; why is it okay to steal from a corporation?
It isn't, not anymore than a regular person.

In this case however, I would not exactly call it stealing. It may not have been completely honest, but it certainly isn't what Apple is calling it.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2010   #14
loaba

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
In this case however, I would not exactly call it stealing. It may not have been completely honest, but it certainly isn't what Apple is calling it.

~Lordbob
So Apple shouldn't vigorously protect its interests? Because that's what they're doing. Some of their methods may be distasteful to you, but then so is selling (and receiving) stolen goods.

I'm reminded of the principle in Breakfast Club - "mess with the bull, you get the horns." And while things didn't quite work to his advantage, I think it is fair to say that Apple represents a completely different kind of *bull.

*pun not intended, sort of...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #15
arkhi

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

Okay, from what I heard, it was "lost". Doesn't "lost" have an entirely different meaning from "stolen"?

[Quotes for lawful subpoena effect]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #16
loaba

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
Okay, from what I heard, it was "lost". Doesn't "lost" have an entirely different meaning from "stolen"?

[Quotes for lawful subpoena effect]
Under California law, lost means you need to make a pretty serious effort to return whatever it is you found. Right now, that's what is being debated. Did he, or did he not, take the appropriate steps to return the device. All current reports indicate that the guy did very little to return it.

Edit: BTW, the lost item in question is a prototype phone that was subsequently sold for $5000.00. We're not talking about a pair of sunglasses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #17
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by loaba View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
In this case however, I would not exactly call it stealing. It may not have been completely honest, but it certainly isn't what Apple is calling it.

~Lordbob
So Apple shouldn't vigorously protect its interests? Because that's what they're doing. Some of their methods may be distasteful to you, but then so is selling (and receiving) stolen goods.

I'm reminded of the principle in Breakfast Club - "mess with the bull, you get the horns." And while things didn't quite work to his advantage, I think it is fair to say that Apple represents a completely different kind of *bull.

*pun not intended, sort of...
I absolutely did not say that they should not protect their interests. I meant that perhaps they should reconsider urging an illegal search and seizure for something that they had already lost.

And Arkhi is right, it wasn't exactly stolen, it was lost.
EDIT: Your post above is correct as well. I never said that I thought he did enough, I just thought that Apples response was over the top.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #18
arkhi

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by loaba View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
Okay, from what I heard, it was "lost". Doesn't "lost" have an entirely different meaning from "stolen"?

[Quotes for lawful subpoena effect]
Under California law, lost means you need to make a pretty serious effort to return whatever it is you found. Right now, that's what is being debated. Did he, or did he not, take the appropriate steps to return the device. All current reports indicate that the guy did very little to return it.

Edit: BTW, the lost item in question is a prototype phone that was subsequently sold for $5000.00. We're not talking about a pair of sunglasses.
I never knew California had laws like that. Thanks for the info.

Alright, trying to cope up with the situation. Anyway, by my rough preliminary understanding of the said law, I guess Apple does have a right to seek legal action for its "lost product"* considered "intellectual property"*.

I guess it's only a matter of debate whether the raid was "lawful"* considering that they have already retrieved the "lost product"*, right?

*As defined under article 13 section 37 subsection 802.11 paragraph N of AMBA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #19
loaba

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I meant that perhaps they should reconsider urging an illegal search and seizure for something that they had already lost.
Are you talking about the Gizmodo guy? I believe they've successfully delayed that process by bringing some question as to the legality of the search. That could go their way. And Apple would still be right to have taken all possible steps to protect their interests. Win or lose, they're sending a message to the tech blogs; buy property that is stolen from us and we will take you down.

This was a shady deal all the way around, I still don't see why Apple should get burned for it.


PS - You want to say Jobs is a control-freak, who seeks to personally control every aspect of your i-Experience? Fair enough, I get that. But this response is completely different.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #20
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by loaba View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I meant that perhaps they should reconsider urging an illegal search and seizure for something that they had already lost.
Are you talking about the Gizmodo guy? I believe they've successfully delayed that process by bringing some question as to the legality of the search. That could go their way. And Apple would still be right to have taken all possible steps to protect their interests. Win or lose, they're sending a message to the tech blogs; buy property that is stolen from us and we will take you down.

This was a shady deal all the way around, I still don't see why Apple should get burned for it.


PS - You want to say Jobs is a control-freak, who seeks to personally control every aspect of your i-Experience? Fair enough, I get that. But this response is completely different.
I do support that he is a control freak, but that is not part of this.

I meant that Apple wanted them to raid the house, completely unnecessarily.

I cannot comment on whether or not the iPod thing was legal or not, that is not for me to determine.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Sound drop outs.
When I'm using Chrome or Firefox and I'm watching/listening to something in the browsers, the sound drops out if I do something in Windows or something else in the browser. I know that sound drop outs can be associated with DPC latency, but when the sound drops out and crackles the DPC latency is...
Sound & Audio
Download Time-Outs
Seems to be a common problem for which I haven't found an answer to yet - download timeouts. 1) Usually on large files over 150-200Mb or greater. 2) On servers with single connection only and resume is not available. 3) Common problem with all my browsers, Firefox, IE, Chrome and Safari. 4)...
Browsers & Mail
Xbox 360 GamePad wired/wired PC version difference?
Could anybody here tell me if there is a difference between the standard wired Xbox 360 control and the one labelled as being for both PC and Xbox 360, just the prices are slightly different? Here are the two I mention: Standard Xbox 360 Wired Wired Gamepad - Black (Xbox 360): Amazon.co.uk:...
Gaming
Windows 7 Connection Drop-Outs
Hello! Im new to the forums here & have quite the problem. You see, not too long ago i got a new computer with windows 7 which was cool & all but for some reason I get these periodic connection drops! (Im not sure what to call it really, lag spike, freeze-up, connection drops, etc.) Its really...
Network & Sharing
Nforce fix for connection drop outs
This solution was found in another forum. And it solved the problem for me. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64. And the constant network disconnects was getting bad, especially during steady downloading. What you need is the nVidia Vista v15.25 (32bit or 64bit) motherboard driver. 64bit...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 internet drop outs
Okay, this is a weird issue... and I just cant figure out what the problem could be. I am running dual OS, XP and W7 RC. There are 2 computers on our home network running thru a modem router. DUring our off peak time, we run utorrent on one system. If i try to use the internet on the other...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App