Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Gloves That Will Work Against Electrical Shocks

20 Jun 2010   #1
Wandering Flame


*Sigh* sorry for making two topics that weren't necessarily discussing the same was also so that I can get answers to each question since I'm used to always having my questioned partially answered when I group them all in one post.

I believe there are gloves that are safe to use when handling with any kind of cables such as coaxial cables, power cables and so on.

However I'm not so sure about the following two types. I have a pair of latex gloves and vinyl gloves.

Would these generally be safe against electrical shocks from a power outlet (like duplex receptacle outlets)?

And what about against coaxial outlets? I noticed there could be slight sparks coming from those sometimes when connecting them to coaxial cables.

Thank you so much for your help.

Now I have a question regarding coaxial outlets.

I was wondering could these be dangerous at all.

I know power outlets can be dangerous for obvious reasons. You can get shocked because of the power running to the outlet.

However I understand coaxial, and phone outlets get some kind of power which explains why there are surge protectors designed to protect coaxial/phone outlets from getting power spikes, so obviously they must get some kind of power.

So would this mean dealing with coaxial outlets involves some kind of risk of getting shocked?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #2

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)

I believe telephone wires carry 9-12 volts of current. As I have been shocked many times by them. TV coax may have voltage if it connected to a sat dish with a LNB.
Also CB radio coax carries a jolt during powered transmissions to the antenna.

You might check with an electrician to see what they use

Attached Images
Gloves That Will Work Against Electrical Shocks-docbrownplug_big.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #3
Wandering Flame


Ok, well my TV was connected to a DISH receiver, and the DISH receiver was connected to my wall coaxial outlet.

However there was no DISH signal to the wall coaxial outlet so the TV was not getting a signal from my DISH satellites.

Also what's an LNB?
My System SpecsSystem Spec

21 Jun 2010   #4

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wandering Flame View Post
Ok, well my TV was connected to a DISH receiver, and the DISH receiver was connected to my wall coaxial outlet.

However there was no DISH signal to the wall coaxial outlet so the TV was not getting a signal from my DISH satellites.

Also what's an LNB?
LNB is the head on the Dish unit that collects the reflected signal from the Dish & then sends it down the coax to the Dish receiver unit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #5
Wandering Flame


I was hooking up a DISH receiver in my mom's room and did not think I was getting myself into something bad...after all, to me it involved just plugging in some power plugs and some coaxial cables. The power plugs went fine.

But then when connecting one of the coaxial cables from my DISH receiver to the wall...I noticed there was like a sound coming from my DISH receiver and I think I noticed slight sparks coming from the coaxial outlet from my wall . If I knew this would happen I would not have gone through with any of this and from now on I am not...well...I don't know...I mean I could use special protective gloves each time I hook something up but that would be a little....uhh...over the top I would say...**** this....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #6
Wandering Flame


Hey, I was just wondering but would you say there is anything wrong with using either latex or vinyl gloves when handing just coaxial? I think latex gives better protection than vinyl when dealing with electrical shocks but I was wondering if any of these are safe or if any of these are not when just handling coaxial lines.

I dealt with the coaxial cables today like I said, and I was wearing disposable vinyl gloves. Originally the reason was to protect my hands and nails against scratches and bumps...and had no idea I may be at risk of getting any kind of shocks.

But, I did some research and apparently latex and/or vinyl gloves may give some kind of protection against electricity, as stated here:

But that is a forum topic so I'm not sure if it's so reliable.

So...who would say vinyl gloves are not safe against shocks? That is when it comes to dealing with coaxial cables.

Ok here is the deal. My TV was powered on, and hooked up to only my DISH receiver via coax.

My DISH receiver was also powered on, and I was connecting it to the coax outlet from my wall, which may or may not have been getting signals from my DISH satellite. I didn't wait any longer to see after I saw the slight sparks coming from my coaxial outlet and after hearing the repetitive noise from my DISH receiver box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 10 Pro x64

I'm guessing those sparks were because you were powered up as you say, you

should have made all the connections BEFORE powering anything up.

It sounds like you may have tripped something or blown a fuse, hopefully nothing

major happened.

As for gloves are talking about using surgical type latex or like dishwashing gloves?

here's some google images of shock proof gloves

shock proof gloves - Google Search
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #8

W10 Pro desktop, W10 laptop, W10 laptop, W10 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)

Instead of trying to find gloves to protect you why don't you do the proper thing and turn the satellite receiver off when connecting the cables? The coax from the receiver carries power for the satellite dish LNB, you could damage your receiver if you short the coax to ground when fiddling with the cable. You really should always turn the receiver off before connecting/disconnecting the coax.

The voltage is about 18V which isn't enough to hurt you but you could damage the receiver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #9
Joan Archer

Windows 10 64bit/Windows 10 64bit/Windows 10 64bit

I think also it depends on the kind of LNB the dish has whether you can connect one or two cables to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #10
Wandering Flame


Well even if I turned off the DISH receiver wouldn't there still be power going to the coaxial outlet from by DISH satellite or from something else? I wouldn't know how to de-power the coaxial outlet anyway and I never thought it could really shock you for as long as I thought, didn't think it could do anything. It's not like an AC outlet.

Also gloves were a just-in-case thing, never meant to be the main safety method...of course depowering everything is the number one step. I just didn't think coaxial had any to much "power" at all...I thought it just carried signals like Ethernet and phone cables do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec

Thread Tools

Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Shocks from laptop when plugged in?
Hey guys, I am working on a laptop here at my job, and I keep getting small to moderate shocks whenever I touch the keyboard or whatever. It only happens when it's plugged in. I've never had it happen with a laptop before, and it's happening with 2 different chargers. I've read that this...
General Discussion
Electrical problems with wiring
Hey! Think this is the right place for this. So the wiring is my house, not my PC, it's an old house with ancient wiring, no grounds and the power fluctuates and lights flicker at times. So for almost the past year I've had a $5,000 PC sitting gathering dust because I don't want to plug it in the...
Hardware & Devices
Any Electrical Danger?
*Sigh* sorry but this is another one of my electrical issue topics...but I think it could be serious, moreso than my other one. :cry: I recently (like two weeks ago) removed an old duplex receptacle outlet from one of my walls. I shut it off of course while removing it and I'm pretty sure at an...
Chillout Room
Need Assistance Finding Soft Gloves
Ones that are around as soft as microfiber gloves or softer. I was able to find microfiber gloves, however those are fabricy meaning they can attract and/or give off lint/dust, which is a pain to deal with when applying screen protectors on screens. Is silk necessary as soft or softer than...
Chillout Room
What old electrical items do you have?
Hello guys, Please post what old electrical items that you have. You may post photos of them as well explain what are and still used or not. Please reply soon. Mine are: 1. Philips VCR which is still used quite often. 2. 1970s Binatone Digital Alarm Radio Clock which still wakes me up...
Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+