Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: IT Career

06 Jul 2010   #11
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
Back@JonM33 - In at least two companies I've worked for the System Admin plays a huge role to internal customers and for me this is just as rewarding. The challenge is not the day the day job, it's in the future planning to take in new technology, be green, produce ROI, be a step ahead of competition, to teach, to nurture workplace innovation, and to lead by example. I'm heavily involved in critical business decisions and far reaching project management opportunities meaning that I need to get in there and talk to people.... otherwise I think i'd go crazy(er).
Oh, I got to communicate with people as a system admin. I'd send off an e-mail to them to let them know whatever security groups I made, network folders I secured, distribution groups I added, etc. But that was about it. I'd usually get a reply of "Thanks" or get a question on how to add members to the distribution group, etc. At that point I'd just send pre-made instructions that I would copy and paste into a reply. The requests came in as a ticket, I would make the changes on the servers and send out an e-mail to notify them of completion. That was about it, day in and day out. I sat at my desk 99% of the day and the only friends I had worked in IT.

Compare that to when I did technical support for the last company I worked for. Everyone knew me and most people skipped calling the help desk and would call my Blackberry directly. I had a LOT of friends outside of IT simply because I got to get out and socialize while working on user's problems. I consider myself shy but I also need social interaction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #12
TimStitt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Oh, I got to communicate with people as a system admin. I'd send off an e-mail to them to let them know whatever security groups I made, network folders I secured, distribution groups I added, etc. But that was about it. I'd usually get a reply of "Thanks" or get a question on how to add members to the distribution group, etc. At that point I'd just send pre-made instructions that I would copy and paste into a reply. The requests came in as a ticket, I would make the changes on the servers and send out an e-mail to notify them of completion. That was about it, day in and day out. I sat at my desk 99% of the day and the only friends I had worked in IT.

Compare that to when I did technical support for the last company I worked for. Everyone knew me and most people skipped calling the help desk and would call my Blackberry directly. I had a LOT of friends outside of IT simply because I got to get out and socialize while working on user's problems. I consider myself shy but I also need social interaction.
I have to laugh, I fair bit of that still goes on and email is the media of 'choice' .... if I had a dollar for ever new user I've had to create.... or every time I've typed mmc......*sign* But it looks like you made the move that suited you best. In the companies I've worked for the System Admin has been an integral part of support team call escalation, thus very sociable (or maybe it's just me? ) and involved with the clients high end solutions. The fact that two of my customers are now my references is proof enough of this for me. I think the company culture has a lot to do with it. If they're going to treat an admin as a button pusher then job satisfaction won't be high and nor will internal development as the support team misses out on an prime resource.

@Nano3 - Two fundamentals here mate. "Team Fit" and "Company Culture fit", they are perhaps more important to your career and development then choosing the right classes to study.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #13
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
I have to laugh, I fair bit of that still goes on and email is the media of 'choice' .... if I had a dollar for ever new user I've had to create.... or every time I've typed mmc......*sign* But it looks like you made the move that suited you best. In the companies I've worked for the System Admin has been an integral part of support team call escalation, thus very sociable (or maybe it's just me? ) and involved with the clients high end solutions. The fact that two of my customers are now my references is proof enough of this for me. I think the company culture has a lot to do with it. If they're going to treat an admin as a button pusher then job satisfaction won't be high and nor will internal development as the support team misses out on an prime resource.
I think a lot of it has to do with Sarbanes-Oxley (aka SOX). Because of that a lot of IT departments have complete separation of powers. It's more so in large corporations than smaller companies.

Good for you that you have 2 users as references. When I left the last company where I did tech support I have about 200. All of the executives (CEO, CFO, COO, CAO) knew me. A lot of the companies directors, vice presidents and department managers did as well. I think it was the best job I ever had. Too bad I had to leave due to relocation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2010   #14
TimStitt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
I have to laugh, I fair bit of that still goes on and email is the media of 'choice' .... if I had a dollar for ever new user I've had to create.... or every time I've typed mmc......*sign* But it looks like you made the move that suited you best. In the companies I've worked for the System Admin has been an integral part of support team call escalation, thus very sociable (or maybe it's just me? ) and involved with the clients high end solutions. The fact that two of my customers are now my references is proof enough of this for me. I think the company culture has a lot to do with it. If they're going to treat an admin as a button pusher then job satisfaction won't be high and nor will internal development as the support team misses out on an prime resource.
I think a lot of it has to do with Sarbanes-Oxley (aka SOX). Because of that a lot of IT departments have complete separation of powers. It's more so in large corporations than smaller companies.

Good for you that you have 2 users as references. When I left the last company where I did tech support I have about 200. All of the executives (CEO, CFO, COO, CAO) knew me. A lot of the companies directors, vice presidents and department managers did as well. I think it was the best job I ever had. Too bad I had to leave due to relocation.
You asked over 200 'clients' for a reference? It must make your resume more than a little voluminous to carry around. .

I don't agree the attributions to SOX, it's only publicly listed companies, began in 2002, not world-wide and definitely far from Asia (where I am) both culturally and logistically. In fact, without a doubt I have an entirely different view of it to that your nations past Government and perhaps yourself. However and Importantly, this thread is about helping Nano3 and offering advice and I don't think we should get off track. I've sent you a friend request so that we can compare admin war stories, talk politics or whatever away from the focus of this thread.

-Timo

@Nano - Apologies for our conversation getting carried off thread . I've put it back on track. Good luck with your studies and feel free to ask me any questions (if you have them )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #15
Kirsch

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

We are having a SOX audit in my company in August.. EEEK!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #16
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
We are having a SOX audit in my company in August.. EEEK!!
Yeah, it's a pretty major thing in the United States.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #17
TimStitt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Hi Nano3,

I found an ICT Road map in my Uni files. You may find it interesting in choosing an IT study path.

With the exception of the XP and Server 2003 Roads being no longer available, I'm not aware of any changes in it.

- Timo


Attached Files
File Type: pdf ICT_roadmap2008.pdf (272.0 KB, 81 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IT career - Personal Stuffs
Greetings everyone, I have recently graduated from High School. I'm thinking about my future and I've chosen IT as my career choice. This is a huge field, mind mindbogglingly huge. I'm not looking towards software or web development, but towards Networking and Security, Help Desk, Sysadmin, that...
Chillout Room
Looking for a career change
Most of my life I've been working in retail. I did my A+ certification in 2005. Recently I've taken my MS Word Advanced and Excel Intermediate from my local college. I would like to work in either an office or IT, but ever since the 90s I have been passionate about computers and technology. If I...
Chillout Room
Your tech career depends on preparing for the cloud
Your tech career depends on preparing for the cloud | Security Central - InfoWorld
News
Career choice, suggestions?
This is the time in a humans life to choose a career path. It's unbelievably hard for me to choose where to go, not due to the amount of choices, but the lack of them. I simply have no idea what I can do. :cry: I'm good at computers, I hope, I sit at one as much as I'm able to. I enjoy it. IT...
Chillout Room
Iceland Volcano -- Here's one guy finding new career
Hi there Since being stuck at home since last week ( I was due to come back to the UK last Thursday after the Easter Break) I've been forced to look for a new Income stream (as a Contractor you only get paid for the hours you work - if you can't turn up for whatever reason then you don't get paid...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:19.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App