Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it worth it to buy a Blu-Ray player considering....

25 Jul 2010   #1
Windows 7 User

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7600 32 Bit.
 
 
Is it worth it to buy a Blu-Ray player considering....

....My HDTV which is Vizio that I bought in 2006 only supports up to 1080i?

Is there a conversion to 1080p?

If yes, which brand should I buy for the best bargain?

Stand alone Bly Ray for my HDTV.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #2
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

This has something to do with Windows 7?

I use a standalone BluRay player with an old (2 1/2 years) Sharp 32". Its native resolution is 720p, although it also accepts 1080i.

The BluRay player is set to output 720p. Looks good, better than an upscaled DVD. I haven't noticed any artifacts from the conversion. I also haven't done a side-by side comparison with a 1080p set.

What player to buy? Beats me. Mine is a Sony BDP-BX1 (supposedly a BDP-S350, as sold by Costco). It has had several firmware updates since I bought it 18 months ago, and it has played every disk I've tried with it. About the only feature that I miss is WiFi, to connect to my wireless network. (I've got an Ethernet Wireless G adapter to add that, but I haven't tried it yet.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #3
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Absolutely worth it. My HDTV is only 720p and I bought it just that way because I'm a believer in the science which says that with televisions and movie watching, the human eye is incable is seeing the difference between 1080p and 720p when it's properly calibrated and coming from an identical 1080p source.

My recommendation. Panasonic Plasma. No if, and's or buts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2010   #4
Windows 7 User

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7600 32 Bit.
 
 

It does not and it was posted in the off-topic forum and was moved here.

Progresive Scan is 720p which I have now.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
This has something to do with Windows 7?

I use a standalone BluRay player with an old (2 1/2 years) Sharp 32". Its native resolution is 720p, although it also accepts 1080i.

The BluRay player is set to output 720p. Looks good, better than an upscaled DVD. I haven't noticed any artifacts from the conversion. I also haven't done a side-by side comparison with a 1080p set.

What player to buy? Beats me. Mine is a Sony BDP-BX1 (supposedly a BDP-S350, as sold by Costco). It has had several firmware updates since I bought it 18 months ago, and it has played every disk I've tried with it. About the only feature that I miss is WiFi, to connect to my wireless network. (I've got an Ethernet Wireless G adapter to add that, but I haven't tried it yet.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #5
Windows 7 User

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7600 32 Bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Absolutely worth it. My HDTV is only 720p and I bought it just that way because I'm a believer in the science which says that with televisions and movie watching, the human eye is incable is seeing the difference between 1080p and 720p when it's properly calibrated and coming from an identical 1080p source.

My recommendation. Panasonic Plasma. No if, and's or buts.
I thought the main reason people bought Blu-Ray was to display it in 1080p format?

Aren't most Blu-Ray movies in 1080p format? You mean I can still those movies in 720p also?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #6
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Absolutely worth it. My HDTV is only 720p and I bought it just that way because I'm a believer in the science which says that with televisions and movie watching, the human eye is incable is seeing the difference between 1080p and 720p when it's properly calibrated and coming from an identical 1080p source.

My recommendation. Panasonic Plasma. No if, and's or buts.
I thought the subject here was "What Blu-Ray player to buy" not what HD TV. I use a Philips BR player BTW. Found it excellent so far and good value for money, was under 100 pounds sterling!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #7
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows 7 User View Post
I thought the main reason people bought Blu-Ray was to display it in 1080p format?
BluRay movies are high definition and are captured at 1080p. This means that the source material, has a ton of detail and can provide a pristine image.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows 7 User View Post
Aren't most Blu-Ray movies in 1080p format? You mean I can still those movies in 720p also?
Absolutely, you can play these back in 720p. The TV's have scalers in them which can take the 1080p image (pristine) and scale them back to display at 720p (still pristine). The key is that the material is in the source image...therefore are just displaying that source over fewer lines at playback.

On a properly calibated display, from a reasonable viewing area..I personally can tell no difference whatsoever between a 1080p and 720p display. Googling will most likely result in this being the same for most people. Some will maintain they see a major difference...but cannot tell you if the sets were properly calibated or if they knew what to even look for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #8
Windows 7 User

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7600 32 Bit.
 
 

I can see a Bluray movie that is in 1080p on my 1080i HDTV as 1080i or 1080p?

Which resolutions have the big differences that you can tell? I know there is a huge between 480p and 1080i.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows 7 User View Post
I thought the main reason people bought Blu-Ray was to display it in 1080p format?
BluRay movies are high definition and are captured at 1080p. This means that the source material, has a ton of detail and can provide a pristine image.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows 7 User View Post
Aren't most Blu-Ray movies in 1080p format? You mean I can still those movies in 720p also?
Absolutely, you can play these back in 720p. The TV's have scalers in them which can take the 1080p image (pristine) and scale them back to display at 720p (still pristine). The key is that the material is in the source image...therefore are just displaying that source over fewer lines at playback.

On a properly calibated display, from a reasonable viewing area..I personally can tell no difference whatsoever between a 1080p and 720p display. Googling will most likely result in this being the same for most people. Some will maintain they see a major difference...but cannot tell you if the sets were properly calibated or if they knew what to even look for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #9
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows 7 User View Post
Which resolutions have the big differences that you can tell? I know there is a huge between 480p and 1080i.
Again, the difference here is in the source. A standard DVD has 480 lines of resolution baked into the recorded bits. Therefore, when you play this back on a TV with 1080p resolutions (1920x1080), it has to take the 480 lines and then double them (480x2= 960) and then has to come up with 120 more lines. However, if you watch a broadcast that is recorded at 1080i...it has 1080 lines of recorded information so when you play back at 1080 or 720 on the display...it either stays the same or is reduced slightly. But since you aren't making up something that isn't there, but rather cutting some of the lines out...the picture does not noticeably get worse.

So, in my case.....all things being equal. On a properly calibrated 720p display and a properly calibrated 1080p display...if you were to take a 480P DVD and play it back...it should look the same. It's possible with crappy electronics in the display that the scalers would do a poor job going to 1080p...but if the make and model used the same components with different outputs it would be the same. Same thing if you took a 1080p BluRay and played it on both. They should look the same. Even the one at 720p is going to look great....because the bits are actually in the source and just being reduced at the display. However, if you compare the DVD on 1 to the BR on the other...the BR will always look better because the source has more bits.

With modern TV's, they are fixed pixel displays. Meaning a 1920x1080 TV is always showing 1980 lines by 1080 lines at all times. In fact, they are just tiny dots. Unlike old CRT TV's, they don't show what is being given to them, they turn whatever they get into 1920x1080. So, when you take something that is 480 and bump it to 1080, quality goes down (like copying a cassette tape from a cassette tape), but when you take something that is great at 1080 and play it back at 720p, it still looks great.

Hope that makes sense...I'm trying to keep this at easy to understand levels....but sometimes what I think in my head doesn't translate to words well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2010   #10
Windows 7 User

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7600 32 Bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows 7 User View Post
Which resolutions have the big differences that you can tell? I know there is a huge between 480p and 1080i.
Again, the difference here is in the source. A standard DVD has 480 lines of resolution baked into the recorded bits. Therefore, when you play this back on a TV with 1080p resolutions (1920x1080), it has to take the 480 lines and then double them (480x2= 960) and then has to come up with 120 more lines. However, if you watch a broadcast that is recorded at 1080i...it has 1080 lines of recorded information so when you play back at 1080 or 720 on the display...it either stays the same or is reduced slightly. But since you aren't making up something that isn't there, but rather cutting some of the lines out...the picture does not noticeably get worse.

So, in my case.....all things being equal. On a properly calibrated 720p display and a properly calibrated 1080p display...if you were to take a 480P DVD and play it back...it should look the same. It's possible with crappy electronics in the display that the scalers would do a poor job going to 1080p...but if the make and model used the same components with different outputs it would be the same. Same thing if you took a 1080p BluRay and played it on both. They should look the same. Even the one at 720p is going to look great....because the bits are actually in the source and just being reduced at the display. However, if you compare the DVD on 1 to the BR on the other...the BR will always look better because the source has more bits.

With modern TV's, they are fixed pixel displays. Meaning a 1920x1080 TV is always showing 1980 lines by 1080 lines at all times. In fact, they are just tiny dots. Unlike old CRT TV's, they don't show what is being given to them, they turn whatever they get into 1920x1080. So, when you take something that is 480 and bump it to 1080, quality goes down (like copying a cassette tape from a cassette tape), but when you take something that is great at 1080 and play it back at 720p, it still looks great.

Hope that makes sense...I'm trying to keep this at easy to understand levels....but sometimes what I think in my head doesn't translate to words well.

Since my HDTV is 1080i and 720p. Will the picture look better on a Blu-Ray movie that is 1080p then compare to a regular DVD Dual Layer movie?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Force recognize mp3 player as external hard drive instead of player
I wonder if there is a method to force windows7 to recognise my mp3 player as hard drive instead of player. Why? 2 things. I find it annoying that I have to click on player then internal storage, when it could go directly to internal storage right away. 2. When I first plugged my player in...
Hardware & Devices
set windows media player to 64bit player helppp
i cant seem to get it to default to 64bit version of windows media player... its annoying. i have ffdshow 64bit codecs. and everything i need in 64. theres gotta be a way
Music, Pictures & Video
Files get pixelated in media player classic but not in vlc player
I have a very interesting issue. It's not an issue that bothers me excessively, and I could live with it, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it nevertheless. I've attached pictures to explain my particular problem. Basically, I have Media Player Classic (v1.6.5.6366) and VLC media player...
Music, Pictures & Video
SLI Really Worth It?
I am trying to figure out if picking up another GPU to run in SLI is really going to be worth my time and/or money. While playing video games I usually run capturing software in the background. I usually switch between Fraps and Bandicam. When I start to record in game footage my FPS will usually...
Graphic Cards
Media Centre -- BBC I player (Sky Player works fine)
Hi all Going through a UK VPN I can get Sky player to work in Windows Media centre just fine Can I get BBC I player to do the same or do I have to use a separate app. I like the Windows Media player for TV and to have all the same apps in one place would be great. Enc screenshot of sky...
Media Center
Cannot Seem To Make Windows Media Player The Default Player For WAV
I have iRiver software on my computer for my mp3 player - I want it to recognise and play mp3's , and I want Windows Media Player to recognise and play WAV files. I have set default programs as such , but the iRiver software still highjacks any audio file - is there some other way to stop this...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App