Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No Jumplists

12 Oct 2010   #11
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Cheemag,

Did you enable the search index to see if it works afterwards? It may take a bit after opening recent items for them to show you though.
I go along with this! Correct me if I'm wrong but, SearchIndexer Process and Indexing service are two different animals. At any rate, when indexing of Internet History is added back into Search Indexer options, you will get two additional processes that pop in and out of Task Manager when surfing the net. It may be the same for recent file lists of the Start Menu etc.. but I've never noticed it until now. I do know one thing, adding back Internet History has fixed two issues that have plagued me for some time which I could not fix nor could the fine folks here at Seven when asked

1) As mentioned, IE8 jumplists returned

2) When closing out and IE8 session, one of the IE8 processes would remain for about an extra one minute before it would stop. It doesn't do that no that IE8 History has been added back to SearchIndexer. Needless to say, I've very happy with the Original Poster of this thread.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Oct 2010   #12
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Cheemag,

Did you enable the search index to see if it works afterwards? It may take a bit after opening recent items for them to show you though.
I'll do that now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2010   #13
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Cheemag,

Did you enable the search index to see if it works afterwards? It may take a bit after opening recent items for them to show you though.
I go along with this! Correct me if I'm wrong but, SearchIndexer Process and Indexing service are two different animals. At any rate, when indexing of Internet History is added back into Search Indexer options, you will get two additional processes that pop in and out of Task Manager when surfing the net. It may be the same for recent file lists of the Start Menu etc.. but I've never noticed it until now. I do know one thing, adding back Internet History has fixed two issues that have plagued me for some time which I could not fix nor could the fine folks here at Seven when asked

1) As mentioned, IE8 jumplists returned

2) When closing out and IE8 session, one of the IE8 processes would remain for about an extra one minute before it would stop.
Firefox does that, and if you try to restart it before the process terminates you get an error message.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Oct 2010   #14
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Cheemag,

Did you enable the search index to see if it works afterwards? It may take a bit after opening recent items for them to show you though.
I go along with this! Correct me if I'm wrong but, SearchIndexer Process and Indexing service are two different animals. At any rate, when indexing of Internet History is added back into Search Indexer options, you will get two additional processes that pop in and out of Task Manager when surfing the net. It may be the same for recent file lists of the Start Menu etc.. but I've never noticed it until now. I do know one thing, adding back Internet History has fixed two issues that have plagued me for some time which I could not fix nor could the fine folks here at Seven when asked

1) As mentioned, IE8 jumplists returned

2) When closing out and IE8 session, one of the IE8 processes would remain for about an extra one minute before it would stop.
Firefox does that, and if you try to restart it before the process terminates you get an error message.
I remember that it used to do that. Since you mention this, prior to me fixing this IE8 jumplist issue, IE8 would crash also if I terminated the lingering process. I eventually used Group Policy or it might have been Registry to stop the crash notification. Haven't used Firefox in Win 7 yet and probably won't. On my XP boot, I still use Firefox although it's a very, very old version that I will not update.

Did you ever get your jumplists working?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #15
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S;1014296[QUOTE=Greg S View Post

Haven't used Firefox in Win 7 yet and probably won't. On my XP boot, I still use Firefox although it's a very, very old version that I will not update.
You don't know what you're missing. The latest version is brilliant.

Quote:
Did you ever get your jumplists working?
No, still no jumplists. They are just not implemented. I've never had jumplists on this machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #16
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Cheemag,

Did you enable the search index to see if it works afterwards? It may take a bit after opening recent items for them to show you though.
Yes, I did it yesterday or the day before.

I now have a 'Recent Places' in my open file dialogue for UltraEdit which I didn't have before. Is this what is meant by a Jump List ?

I only have one appropriate programme (UltraEdit) pinned at the moment. My word processor (Atlantis) doesn't have a Recent Places, nor has any other apporopriate application as far as I can tell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #17
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Yep, that would be a jump list. You would only have items display in the jump list if you had opened them. You can read more details about it at the tutorial below to help though.

Jump Lists
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #18
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
No Jumplists [SOLVED]

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Yep, that would be a jump list. You would only have items display in the jump list if you had opened them. You can read more details about it at the tutorial below to help though.

Jump Lists
Right, thanks. I'll have a look at the tutorial.

We'll now call this thread solved.

Thanks to all who responded.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #19
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

You're most welcome Cheemag. I'm glad that we were able to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No Jumplists




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I have no Jumplists whatsoever
Yeah, again the same problem. Last installation it sort of fixed itself but now it doesn't. I went to automatic/custom destinations and deleted everything but nothing changed, I don't even have jumplists in explorer. Is there no way to manually add an item to a jumplist?
General Discussion
Jumplists Turned Off?
Hey Guys, I've got an odd thing happening.. it seems the Jumplists feature has been turned off and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn them back on. When I right click an icon in the taskbar all I get for options are the following.. {Program Name} Unpin from taskbar Any...
General Discussion
Jumplists And System32
I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. When I click on a jumplist in the start menu, then anything to do with Tasks or Frequent it seems to go to System32 file, even any stuff to do with iTunes. How do I get it so that the jumplists are working correctly? I have an Acer Aspire X3950, 4GB of...
General Discussion
How to backup jumplists?
All, I've been one of the lucky ones selected to "beta test" Windows 7 for the company I support. I have the current "beta" installed and set up the way I want but I'll need to move to the next release soon. How do you suggest I backup my jump-lists? I was able to significantly clean up my...
Backup and Restore
JumpLists
Hey, Regarding JumpLists for Windows Explorer (or any others that are relavant), do you not think the Pinned Catagory should appear under the Frequent Catagory. I'm all for the JumpLists, but if I pin something shouldn't that mean I want quick access to it. So why put clutter between me and what...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:02.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App