Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Change Start Menu Orb?

06 Aug 2009   #11
beg4mercy

Windows 7 Rtm x64
 
 

is User Account Control completely disable ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Aug 2009   #12
oidicle

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 7600.20647 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moinmoin View Post
You need Restorator Restorator 2007 Resource Editor - Restorator - Bome Software
or Anolis Resourcer (Freeware) Anolis - Releases
I've tried changing icons ans things with restorator but somehow they just won't paste, i think it's a bit trickier to work with restorator rather than restuner, I might be doing it incorrectly, I assume you open a file with restorator, go to the resource and paste what you had copied to the clipboard... I'm confused.... I'll try Anolis and see if it helps me better.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #13
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oidicle View Post
I've tried changing icons ans things with restorator but somehow they just won't paste, i think it's a bit trickier to work with restorator rather than restuner, I might be doing it incorrectly, I assume you open a file with restorator, go to the resource and paste what you had copied to the clipboard... I'm confused.... I'll try Anolis and see if it helps me better.....
Restorator is what I use for all my customizing and it's very easy to use.

You simply drag restorator to one side of the desktop and open it up on half of the screen, then open exlorer on the other side and drag the dll you want to change into the left pane.

Open the folder in the directory with the image you want to replace and simply drag and drop the image you want to use onto it in the left pane, in the right pane on Restorator you will notice the preview screen and the image should change as soon as you drop another one onto it.

Once you have made your modification you will want to save (Make sure you have taken ownership of the file you are customizing) and once you have done that successfully you will notice a backup file of the one you customized with the extension .BAK.

If you don't have a backup and instead the file name just has a 1 added to it means that you have not successfully made the changes because either the file was in use or you haven't taken ownership correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2009   #14
oidicle

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 7600.20647 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
Just seen some of his newer themes and they look nice.

Verdesh SteelFlash For Win7 by ~alkhan on deviantART

Why is this not working for me? how did u do it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2009   #15
oidicle

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 7600.20647 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
Restorator is what I use for all my customizing and it's very easy to use.

You simply drag restorator to one side of the desktop and open it up on half of the screen, then open exlorer on the other side and drag the dll you want to change into the left pane.

Open the folder in the directory with the image you want to replace and simply drag and drop the image you want to use onto it in the left pane, in the right pane on Restorator you will notice the preview screen and the image should change as soon as you drop another one onto it.

Once you have made your modification you will want to save (Make sure you have taken ownership of the file you are customizing) and once you have done that successfully you will notice a backup file of the one you customized with the extension .BAK.

If you don't have a backup and instead the file name just has a 1 added to it means that you have not successfully made the changes because either the file was in use or you haven't taken ownership correctly.
Cool, I've somehow managed to change the star menu orb, but couldn't change the icons on the imageres.dll file, it seems they're no longer in png format but instead in .ico format, which makes pasting a 256x256 png icon impossible.... the windows vista imageres.dll file has png icons, it was very easy changing the icons with restuner, I don't know why MS changed to .ico, or could it be that restorator is detecting them as .ico..... I find myself having to manually convert the png files into ico files in order to paste them with restorator, that's quite painful, because I'm transfering the pngs that were in vista's imageres.dll into windows 7's... I had changed virtually every icon resource back then....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2009   #16
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

In Vista they are also ico and if you use restorator to extract the whole ico folder from imageres.dll by dragging it straight to the desktop, you can then just drag individual icons back on to the one you were trying to change, it's easy when you know how.

I actually already have all the Vista icons here.

And the theme you are talking about was never tried by me, I just found that theme on Deviant art and posted the screen shot, if you need any help you should ask the author, although I think I remember reading some other comments at the time saying they couldn't install it either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #17
oidicle

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 7600.20647 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
And the theme you are talking about was never tried by me, I just found that theme on Deviant art and posted the screen shot, if you need any help you should ask the author, although I think I remember reading some other comments at the time saying they couldn't install it either
Oh, bummer

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
In Vista they are also ico and if you use restorator to extract the whole ico folder from imageres.dll by dragging it straight to the desktop, you can then just drag individual icons back on to the one you were trying to change, it's easy when you know how.

I actually already have all the Vista icons here.
I think you misunderstood me, I don't need the regular vista icons, a few years back I took vista's imageres.dll(which has both png icon format & ico format mixed in the dll) and replaced all the resources that had png icons with my own collection of 256x256 pngs and some that had '.ico' with a few custom icos I that took from the internet, and saved the dll on my vista install DVD so that the icons were applied automatically with vista's installation, as well as custom logon screens, etc... Back then I was using a 32bit Vista and so used ResTuner to replace the icon resources; but now I've moved on to Windows 7 64bit and I can't use ResTuner anymore, instead I have to use Restorator, the thing I didn't like about restorator is that it detects all the Icons as being in the .ico format, even the png icons, so now I have to convert my pngs into ico format so that restorator can accept them, that didn't happen with ResTuner, if ResTuner could support 64bit files than it would have been able to distinguish between both formats and I could have just immediatelly replaced the png resources, Restuner simply would be the best out there because of its ease of use...

I've tried using restorator to open both 32bit & 64bit imageres.dll and it still detects everything as .ico....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #18
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oidicle View Post
Oh, bummer



I think you misunderstood me, I don't need the regular vista icons, a few years back I took vista's imageres.dll(which has both png icon format & ico format mixed in the dll) and replaced all the resources that had png icons with my own collection of 256x256 pngs and some that had '.ico' with a few custom icos I that took from the internet, and saved the dll on my vista install DVD so that the icons were applied automatically with vista's installation, as well as custom logon screens, etc... Back then I was using a 32bit Vista and so used ResTuner to replace the icon resources; but now I've moved on to Windows 7 64bit and I can't use ResTuner anymore, instead I have to use Restorator, the thing I didn't like about restorator is that it detects all the Icons as being in the .ico format, even the png icons, so now I have to convert my pngs into ico format so that restorator can accept them, that didn't happen with ResTuner, if ResTuner could support 64bit files than it would have been able to distinguish between both formats and I could have just immediatelly replaced the png resources, Restuner simply would be the best out there because of its ease of use...

I've tried using restorator to open both 32bit & 64bit imageres.dll and it still detects everything as .ico....

No worries, if you want to upload your png's I will make them into icons for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2009   #19
Stabgotham

Windows 7 x64 (Build 7600 RTM)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2009   #20
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beg4mercy View Post
hey man how can you change start menu skin ? is that windows blinds 7 ?
I've been looking around and would love to get my start menu black. any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Change Start Menu Orb?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is there a way to change the start menu application?
So I gather that the start menu is directly embedded in explorer, but is it possible to make the start orb launc an application that I use to manage my files instead of the nasty 7 menu? I am using a UX theme and am still not in love with it. TBH, I love winLaunch. I know the mac feel isn't for...
Customization
Change Default Start Menu
Is there any way of changing the default pop-up menu of the Start Button? I would like to be able to simple click on the Start Button and have the "All Programs" menu selection displayed as deault instead of having to do two clicks each time (Start Menu followed by "All Programs"
Customization
Change Start menu icon
Hi all Im currently changing all the icons and folders to a new design and have done all apart from the start menu icons ie run / default programs / Devices and printers. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT_CLSID ive found the reg keys but when i try and change the default icon number i get Cannot...
Customization
My start menu orb does not change!
Hi. I am putting a lot of effort into making my OS look good, and I am currently using Windows 7. I am trying to change the start menu orb, but it just does not change! I have tried using Restorator, and "prehacked" explorer.exe's. Nothing happens! ...
Customization
Change Start Menu
I realise that the Classic Start Menu option isn't available, but is there a way to get a menu to open when the mouse is hovered over an item. All Programs, then point the mouse at a menu item and it expands without the extra clicks that the current default menu needs. I like to set up (in...
Customization
How to change start-menu icons ?
I've created new folders and when I go through the whole 'change icon' routine, nothing changes... Any idea's ? Thanks. W7x64 RC7100
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App