Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Increasing the length of time thumbnail previews on taskbar display

29 Apr 2011   #1
Hirroshi

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Increasing the length of time thumbnail previews on taskbar display

Hello,

I've just got Windows 7. So far i've enjoyed it, but found one annoyance:

When I hover over application icons (that are open) on the taskbar the thumbnail preview only flashes up for 1 second, even if I leave my cursor hovering on the icon.

This is the case most of the time, but I find when I have certain windows open (e.g. the regeditor - random I know!) then the thumbnail previews for other applications will stay up as long as I hover over them.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2011   #2
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hirroshi View Post
Hello,

I've just got Windows 7. So far i've enjoyed it, but found one annoyance:

When I hover over application icons (that are open) on the taskbar the thumbnail preview only flashes up for 1 second, even if I leave my cursor hovering on the icon.

This is the case most of the time, but I find when I have certain windows open (e.g. the regeditor - random I know!) then the thumbnail previews for other applications will stay up as long as I hover over them.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Hi Hirroshi and welcome to SF!
Just look here, follow all instructions as they are posted and enjoy!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #3
Hirroshi

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wallonn7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hirroshi View Post
Hello,

I've just got Windows 7. So far i've enjoyed it, but found one annoyance:

When I hover over application icons (that are open) on the taskbar the thumbnail preview only flashes up for 1 second, even if I leave my cursor hovering on the icon.

This is the case most of the time, but I find when I have certain windows open (e.g. the regeditor - random I know!) then the thumbnail previews for other applications will stay up as long as I hover over them.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Hi Hirroshi and welcome to SF!
Just look here, follow all instructions as they are posted and enjoy!
Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately this is not quite what I was looking for. The tutorial you have linked me to is described as doing this -

"This will show you how to change the delay time for how long it takes to open a Aero Peek live preview of a open window, that is behind another opened window on the desktop, when you hover the mouse pointer on the taskbar thumbnail preview of this window."

...and I want to do this -

Change the ammount of time an Aero Peek live preview of an open window , that is behind another opened window on the desktop, will stay open when you hover the mouse pointer on the taskbar thumbnail preview of this window.

Cheers,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Apr 2011   #4
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

And this one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #5
Hirroshi

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wallonn7 View Post
And this one?
Its nothing to do with a delay in the thumbnail popping up.

I want to increase the time that the thumnail stays present while i'm hovering over it.

For some reason it disappears after a second.

Cheers,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #6
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I think this will require more time than I imagined. But do not worry. I will continue to search for what you need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #7
Hirroshi

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wallonn7 View Post
I think this will require more time than I imagined. But do not worry. I will continue to search for what you need.
Thanks! Here are some screenshots to explain what is happening.

Increasing the length of time thumbnail previews on taskbar display-screen1.jpg
Screen1 - when the small installation window is in the foreground, I can hover over the background windows icon for as long as I want and the preview will stay up.

Increasing the length of time thumbnail previews on taskbar display-screen2.jpg
Screen2 - when the small installation window is minimized and the other windows are maximised, the thumbnail will not stay up despite me hovering over it.

Maybe this is just a feature of Windows 7? I would like the have the thumbnails come up all the time i'm hovering over them if possible!

Cheers,


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Increasing the length of time thumbnail previews on taskbar display




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
save taskbar thumbnail previews - what does it do?
Okay, so I did a lot of searching and I thought I figured out what this option does (in the performance options within system properties). I thought it kept the thumbnail previews in the cache so when I hibernate or sleep, the previews will still be there. But that doesn't appear to be the case. ...
General Discussion
Utility to Display Taskbar Thumbnail Previews Without Aero
Microsoft has admitted that the Aero Glass interface, while some thought it was pretty, was a useless waste of processing power and an impediment to usability, and they have removed it from Windows 8. Some of us would have disabled it in Windows 7 long ago and used a Classic or Basic theme except...
Customization
change order of taskbar thumbnail previews?
i always keep 2 firefox windows open when i'm working, one for work and one for, uh, non-work stuff. i always open my non-work window first, so its preview thumbnail is on the left, while the other window's preview thumb is on the right. lately, they've been swapping for some reason. i'll go to...
General Discussion
Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Save
How to Enable or Disable "Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews" in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This will show you how to enable or disable having taskbar thumbnail previews saved to a cache in Windows 7 and Windows 8. This feature is not available in the Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic...
Tutorials
How to disable the taskbar thumbnail previews?
I've searched a lot about how to do it, but I coudn't find it anywhere. I want to disable this preview: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7765/previewbh.jpg Things that I've already tryied: - Disabling Aero Peek. It just disables the visualization of the windows, when I put my mouse...
Customization
Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Change Delay Time
How to Change Taskbar Thumbnail Previews Delay Time to Display in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to change the delay time for how long it takes to display taskbar thumbnail previews when you hover the mouse pointer over a taskbar button for only your user account in...
Tutorials


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App