Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Gadget Transparency

07 Nov 2009   #1
SeattleMike

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 
Gadget Transparency

I'm going with the motto of "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" and reaching out to people who know more than I do...

The images attached should serve to illustrate my problem, which is no matter how I attempt the make the background transparent, I get the magenta transparency mask that lies buried in the windows code. I have tried transparent .png files and editing the opacity in the .html code.

The gadget is called "simple date" and can be downloaded from Microsoft's Gadget website. I've grown to love it but, in cleaning up my desktop, I've realized it would be perfect if it had a transparent background rather than the whole thing being transparent.

So, my question is... can anyone tell me how to get the result I am looking for?




Attached Thumbnails
Gadget Transparency-image1.jpg  
Attached Images
Gadget Transparency-image2.jpg Gadget Transparency-image3.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Nov 2009   #2
SeattleMike

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Anyone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #3
SeattleMike

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

So, I am guessing the answer is "no, it can't be done"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Nov 2009   #4
pauliewog

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SeattleMike View Post
So, I am guessing the answer is "no, it can't be done"
Hey Mike sorry that nobody has gave you a answer. I have tried also to do this but got the same result as you have! I think it can be done, but you need to figure out the coding with in the gadget and I wish I could do it but I don't know how but if I do figure it out I'll let you know!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2009   #5
ButzYung

Windows Vista
 
 

For Windows gadgets, any HTML elements that have any alpha pixels (such as the anti-aliased texts in your case) should only be used on a solid background. If you use them on a transparent background, the alpha pixels will be displayed as the annoying magenta pixels.

The gadget API provides a way to draw anti-aliased text directly over the desktop with background of any transparency, but you will probably need a lot of works to convert all necessary HTML texts in your gadget to this version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2009   #6
SeattleMike

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ButzYung View Post
For Windows gadgets, any HTML elements that have any alpha pixels (such as the anti-aliased texts in your case) should only be used on a solid background. If you use them on a transparent background, the alpha pixels will be displayed as the annoying magenta pixels.

The gadget API provides a way to draw anti-aliased text directly over the desktop with background of any transparency, but you will probably need a lot of works to convert all necessary HTML texts in your gadget to this version.
Oh I have the time, just not the knowledge to know how to go about it. Can you link this information?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #7
ButzYung

Windows Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SeattleMike View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ButzYung View Post
For Windows gadgets, any HTML elements that have any alpha pixels (such as the anti-aliased texts in your case) should only be used on a solid background. If you use them on a transparent background, the alpha pixels will be displayed as the annoying magenta pixels.

The gadget API provides a way to draw anti-aliased text directly over the desktop with background of any transparency, but you will probably need a lot of works to convert all necessary HTML texts in your gadget to this version.
Oh I have the time, just not the knowledge to know how to go about it. Can you link this information?
Gadgets on MSDN
Gadgets (Windows)

And this is probably the section you are looking for.
Developing a Gadget for Windows Sidebar Part 2: The G:BACKGROUND, G:IMAGE, G:TEXT Presentation Elements and GIMAGE Protocol
Gadgets for Windows Sidebar - Presentation Object Reference

The parts you need to know are G:IMAGE and G:TEXT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Gadget Transparency




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Transparency - Enable Full Clear Glass Transparency
How to Enable "Full Clear Glass Transparency" in Windows 7 By default when you enabled transparency in Windows 7, the transparency will be blurred a bit in the window borders. This will show you how to have the window borders fully clear and transparent like glass instead for your current...
Tutorials
gadget transparency error
Hi all (; I'm having some issues with some gadgets, most notably MSN Weather 2.0. Edges of the gadget are not transparent but show purple edges and white lines around iit. Anyone knows why?
Customization
Transparency.
So i need to know, what file actually makes the transparency in Windows 7 possible, since Windows XP isn't even capable of transparency and Windows 7 is, it means there must be one file ( or many files ) that are responsible for it, and im very interested in finding it. I mean responsible in the...
Customization
Need Gadget [specific gadget]
Hi, Is there any1 who can find me the gadget for live temperature? I heard somewhere that a gadget named "Iq weather" shows the live temperature. I tried google for it but no result . Can any1 find me this gadget? thanks in advance. :) Best Regards
Customization
Want as much transparency as possible
I want as much transparency as possible (startmenu, titlebars, the window backgrounds (at least in explorer and other winds windows :D ) the optionbars, bookmarkbars, etc.) and i am willing tp use 3rd party software/designs, if anyone can tell me a specific one which could work! thanks ;)
Customization
Transparency Gadget For Aero Borders.
Found a cool lil tool to turn transparency in W7 on and off. Don't seem to do much for the task bar tho I'm afraid :( I'm sure if you search on TPB you can find it , its called: "windows 7 Transparency Enabler v4 FINAL" If anyone cant find it just send me a PM. :D
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App