Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?

01 Mar 2010   #11
D3ftOn3Z

Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
But changing an icon in file system takes effects in drive icons. I already did it (Pic 1).
What I want to change is the "live folder" icon (pic 2,imageres.dll). In Tuneup styler>system elements > Explorer, There is the option of changing closed and open window (pic 3).If I change these, the staff inside the folder is not visible.
Then what to do exactly?
My bad, arc. Didn't know of that.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Mar 2010   #12
NEXTLOVER

Windows 7 x64
 
 

What GothicDeath suggests is the way to go. But do you possibly have the other "types" of folders (ie: Not just the gray icon folder but the Front, Back, & Open)? How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-folders.png Because you're gonna need 'em for what you want. If you do have those, then you're good to go. & they'll show the stuff inside, like so How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-example.png

The softwares I had to use were IcoFX (to view inside the imageres.dll file & to serve as a reference) & Resource Hacker (to change the imageres.dll icons). You can achieve this too using Restorator (seems ppl like it more), but Resource Hacker is free.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #13
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NEXTLOVER View Post
What GothicDeath suggests is the way to go. But do you possibly have the other "types" of folders (ie: Not just the gray icon folder but the Front, Back, & Open)? Attachment 59491 Because you're gonna need 'em for what you want. If you do have those, then you're good to go. & they'll show the stuff inside, like so Attachment 59492

The softwares I had to use were IcoFX (to view inside the imageres.dll file & to serve as a reference) & Resource Hacker (to change the imageres.dll icons). You can achieve this too using Restorator (seems ppl like it more), but Resource Hacker is free.
Hi Nextlover !
I have all the parts of the gray folder.. open, front & back. Yes, I agree that GothikDeath is perfect! But I think as I have both the IcoFX and Resource Hacker, I have a bit experience of using both of those, I may carry it out. Will you please give me a walkthrough ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Mar 2010   #14
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NEXTLOVER View Post
What GothicDeath suggests is the way to go. But do you possibly have the other "types" of folders (ie: Not just the gray icon folder but the Front, Back, & Open)? Attachment 59491 Because you're gonna need 'em for what you want. If you do have those, then you're good to go. & they'll show the stuff inside, like so Attachment 59492

The softwares I had to use were IcoFX (to view inside the imageres.dll file & to serve as a reference) & Resource Hacker (to change the imageres.dll icons). You can achieve this too using Restorator (seems ppl like it more), but Resource Hacker is free.
Perhaps I got the idea . I am to change the red box of pic1 with the folders of pic 2 . How to use resource hacker to do this?


Attached Images
How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-capture.png How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-capture1.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #15
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Hi NextLover!
I tried to walk a few steps alone. Went to C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll in resource hacker. Opened Icon group > 3> 1033 .It says "out of system resources. the same is for 4> 1033 , 5>1033 & 6>1033.

What is the problem ? Is the step wrong ? Then where to go ?


Attached Thumbnails
How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #16
NEXTLOVER

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Hi NextLover!
I tried to walk a few steps alone. Went to C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll in resource hacker. Opened Icon group > 3> 1033 .It says "out of system resources. the same is for 4> 1033 , 5>1033 & 6>1033.

What is the problem ? Is the step wrong ? Then where to go ?
Don't worry about those messages. I had the same ones that kept popping up. But did you make a copy of the imageres.dll file? It's just for safety's sake. Keep changing (& ignore the popups of "out of system resources.") the icons to the gray ones. I right click on #3>1033-->click the button 'Open file with new resource-->find the gray folder (it should be the Open, Empty folder ico)-->Then hit Replace. Do the same for #s 3 (Open, Empty folder), #4 (Open, Empty folder), #5 (Back view), & #6 (Front view).

After you're done with that, save it to your desktop (save it as 'imageres.dll'), then navigate to C:\windows\system32\, find the imageres.dll file, & rename it (something like 'imageres.dll.old' or something like that). Then just drag the new imageres.dll file into the system32 folder.

Then restart the comp.

I'm not sure why your comp. & mine keeps saying that "out of system resources." It's annoying & makes your heart beat faster, but my comp's running fine after experiencing that. Who knows why the software does that Let us know how it went or if you need any other help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #17
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NEXTLOVER View Post

Don't worry about those messages. I had the same ones that kept popping up. But did you make a copy of the imageres.dll file? It's just for safety's sake. Keep changing (& ignore the popups of "out of system resources.") the icons to the gray ones. I right click on #3>1033-->click the button 'Open file with new resource-->find the gray folder (it should be the Open, Empty folder ico)-->Then hit Replace. Do the same for #s 3 (Open, Empty folder), #4 (Open, Empty folder), #5 (Back view), & #6 (Front view).

After you're done with that, save it to your desktop (save it as 'imageres.dll'), then navigate to C:\windows\system32\, find the imageres.dll file, & rename it (something like 'imageres.dll.old' or something like that). Then just drag the new imageres.dll file into the system32 folder.

Then restart the comp.

I'm not sure why your comp. & mine keeps saying that "out of system resources." It's annoying & makes your heart beat faster, but my comp's running fine after experiencing that. Who knows why the software does that Let us know how it went or if you need any other help.
Thanks a lot m8!
Yes, I have backed it up. And really, when it was said that it is out of system resources, I was a bit nervous , but I knew that you are there ... and so I am not alone

After completion, I will inform you how it worked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #18
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 



It only changed the details pane icons. Not in explorer. Now what to do ?



Attached Images
How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-capture.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #19
NEXTLOVER

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post


It only changed the details pane icons. Not in explorer. Now what to do ?

Hmm. Lemme take a look when I get home. Don't worry. I think there were some other folders you needed to change. I remember doing this a while back LOL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2010   #20
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NEXTLOVER View Post

Hmm. Lemme take a look when I get home. Don't worry. I think there were some other folders you needed to change. I remember doing this a while back LOL.
Repeated the process, and got everything fixed !!!

Really a nice process you explored for me , mate !! It can change any icon in windows. just voila. Thanks again, man
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Folder Icon - Change Windows 7 Default Folder Icon
How to Change the Windows 7 Default Folder Icon This will show you how to change all of the default yellow folder icons in Windows Explorer to any custom icon that you want instead in Windows 7. User Folder icons will not be affected by this.If you have thumbnails turned on, then only...
Tutorials
Folder Icon - Change Default Icon
How to Change Windows 7 Default Folder Icons using Resource Hacker Windows 7 Folders are Live Folders , and they are not a single icon, but a combination of 5 different icons . In imageres.dll's icon group, the numbers of these 5 icons are respectively 3, 4, 5, 6, and 162 . So it is to change...
Tutorials
Change folder icon
I wanna change icon a specific folder So that, by shifting the icon does not change. In other words, Icon is always fixed
Customization
How to change folder icon?
My problem is: I have downloaded these icons that have the theme of Windows 8. I'm changing a lot of system file icons around on my computer using the program "Default Program" it's great and all, but it doesn't support changing folder icons. I have to do it manually. I've used two of Brinks...
Customization
Is it possible to change live folder?
I've seen many tutorials in how to change your live folder icons, but you either end up with no previews at all or if the icon wasn't design to match the folder preview, then you end up with a mess! Now, I saw this guy work and he has live folders off, but file preview on (see the JPEGS): Flurry...
Customization
Change folder icon?
Hello i have recently downloaded Leopard icons & was trying to use it as my defaults icons but i didn't knew how to do it except- eg i want to change "Windows" folder in C drive. c - right click on Windows - select properties - click Customize - click Customize icon in the bottom- select...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App