Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?

11 Mar 2010   #21
NEXTLOVER

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NEXTLOVER View Post

Hmm. Lemme take a look when I get home. Don't worry. I think there were some other folders you needed to change. I remember doing this a while back LOL.
Repeated the process, and got everything fixed !!!

Really a nice process you explored for me , mate !! It can change any icon in windows. just voila. Thanks again, man
Whew! Good thing that worked. Thanks for giving us a follow up


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Mar 2010   #22
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NEXTLOVER View Post

Whew! Good thing that worked. Thanks for giving us a follow up
It was my duty to give you feedback, friend. You taught me a superb lesson.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #23
ahamprema

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
What sizes do my .ico files need to include?

Great post thank you all for your questions and all the excellent informative answers. I have one question about making the icons, I use Axialis and IconFX, what sizes do I choose when making the .ico to put back in the file (imageres.dll)

Here is what I have been using to create and then change using Tuneup or Microangelo depending on the icon


256x256 RGBA, 128x128RGBA, 96x96RGBA, 72x72RGBA, 64x64RGBA, 48x48RGBA, 32x32RGBA, 24x24RGBA, 16x16RGBA
48x48 256, 32x32 256,24x24 256, 16x16 256
48x48 16, 32x32 16, 24x24 16, 16x16 16
PNG compress 256x256 formats for Windows Vista
Apply Dithering for 256, 16 and mono formats

Thanks again!


Attached Thumbnails
How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-icon.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2010   #24
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ahamprema View Post
Great post thank you all for your questions and all the excellent informative answers. I have one question about making the icons, I use Axialis and IconFX, what sizes do I choose when making the .ico to put back in the file (imageres.dll)

Here is what I have been using to create and then change using Tuneup or Microangelo depending on the icon


256x256 RGBA, 128x128RGBA, 96x96RGBA, 72x72RGBA, 64x64RGBA, 48x48RGBA, 32x32RGBA, 24x24RGBA, 16x16RGBA
48x48 256, 32x32 256,24x24 256, 16x16 256
48x48 16, 32x32 16, 24x24 16, 16x16 16
PNG compress 256x256 formats for Windows Vista
Apply Dithering for 256, 16 and mono formats

Thanks again!
Hi ahamprema !
Actually I never built an icon, but a windows icon that supports all the view sizes and all the places for both vista and 7 includes all the checked sizes. ( once I extracted icons and converted to png to put them in dock, so I had to delete all the layers other than 256x256). All they are situated as various layers, one layer for one size. So the unchecked formats need not to be checked, and about the last line, I dont know what is this. You may try both the rendering options as trial and error

The icon you created is just nice, though it looks a bit like mac folder . Though it will not work as windows live folder (displaying a hint of the files contained). To create a live folder, you need to create three different icons - front, back and open (you may see an earlier screenshot posted by me, post no 14, where which is to be replaced to which is displayed). Wish you a good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #25
ahamprema

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Thanks Archie for the quick response I have made the files as was listed earlier with open, empty, front and back. Is #3 & #4 meant to be the same image or is one for open folder (showing white pages) and one for empty (completely empty). They work great except like you pointed out they open on the felt except on the top like I need. Does anyone know of a way to have them open like mac on the top, in other words turned 90 counter clockwise on the top for the thumbnail view.

One other problem which I must be missing changing some images because some of the old folders show up in the views in the new folder aas you can see in the 2nd png image. Any thoughts which ones?

Thanks again Archie and all the great posts on this forum!


Attached Thumbnails
How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-colorflow-win-7.png   How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-3-19-2010-6-05-29-pm.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #26
ahamprema

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Fixed a few

I got all the files the same and showing in all views thanks to all the posts. Still would love to know how possible it is to change the folder view to one for the mac style folders that opens from the top if anyone has any suggestions. This request may be a little out of my league and I realize I may have to settle for how the currently look but anm still hopefull that someone on here has the SKILLS!!

Here is what they look like>

Thanks again everyone. Great info on this forum some of it I could not find anywhere else.


Attached Thumbnails
How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?-3-20-2010-1-53-37-am.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #27
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ahamprema View Post
I got all the files the same and showing in all views thanks to all the posts. Still would love to know how possible it is to change the folder view to one for the mac style folders that opens from the top if anyone has any suggestions. This request may be a little out of my league and I realize I may have to settle for how the currently look but anm still hopefull that someone on here has the SKILLS!!

Here is what they look like>

Thanks again everyone. Great info on this forum some of it I could not find anywhere else.
Looks pretty cool! Carry on, friend. BTW, the transparent start menu is cool, too
I also want to get the mac style cover flow view ... but I know that is not possible (till date, who knows the future)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #28
ahamprema

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

I am using Microangelo and Tuneup 2010 as you can see in post #25 above som eof the icons are not resetting when I add the new imageres.dll. I have been restoring the icon cache and still they do not reset. I can go in and change them manually but this is very time consuming. Anyone had the same issue before and have a solution for this. I seems quite random except that the folders that are completely empty always seem to change to the new ones and the rest seem to change or not change randomly.

Thanks Arc for all your assistance and feedback!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #29
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ahamprema View Post
I am using Microangelo and Tuneup 2010 as you can see in post #25 above som eof the icons are not resetting when I add the new imageres.dll. I have been restoring the icon cache and still they do not reset. I can go in and change them manually but this is very time consuming. Anyone had the same issue before and have a solution for this. I seems quite random except that the folders that are completely empty always seem to change to the new ones and the rest seem to change or not change randomly.

Thanks Arc for all your assistance and feedback!!
Sorry friend. It's my guilt ! I should have adviced you to take a backup of imageres.dll.

However, it's a lengthy and laborious task to replace all the system icons one by one. As you are using TuneUp, You may try Windows 7 RC1 TuneUp Pack by ~Cheemster on deviantART , but it is not upto the mark.

If you dont mind, you may opt for a Repair Install . If you dont like it, still go through the tutorial, it will bring all the system elements back, and you will be able to access your user data from windows.old .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2010   #30
ahamprema

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

I think I may not have been clear in my last post the everything is working fine except not all the folders are changing to the new ones I have placed in the new imageres.dll. Some change and some do not, and doing a restore cache does not seem to add the new icons throughout Windows 7 especially in windows system files some change many do not so I have to change them manually with Microangelo if I what them to change. Microangelo just allows me to change any folder either in properties or by right clicking the file I want to chjange and choosing change icon. I am sure I have changed all the necessary icon groups but the folders still do not all change and it looks pretty random. When you have changed you icons do they all change throughout your windows?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to change LIVE FOLDER ICON ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Folder Icon - Change Windows 7 Default Folder Icon
How to Change the Windows 7 Default Folder Icon This will show you how to change all of the default yellow folder icons in Windows Explorer to any custom icon that you want instead in Windows 7. User Folder icons will not be affected by this.If you have thumbnails turned on, then only...
Tutorials
Folder Icon - Change Default Icon
How to Change Windows 7 Default Folder Icons using Resource Hacker Windows 7 Folders are Live Folders , and they are not a single icon, but a combination of 5 different icons . In imageres.dll's icon group, the numbers of these 5 icons are respectively 3, 4, 5, 6, and 162 . So it is to change...
Tutorials
Change folder icon
I wanna change icon a specific folder So that, by shifting the icon does not change. In other words, Icon is always fixed
Customization
How to change folder icon?
My problem is: I have downloaded these icons that have the theme of Windows 8. I'm changing a lot of system file icons around on my computer using the program "Default Program" it's great and all, but it doesn't support changing folder icons. I have to do it manually. I've used two of Brinks...
Customization
Is it possible to change live folder?
I've seen many tutorials in how to change your live folder icons, but you either end up with no previews at all or if the icon wasn't design to match the folder preview, then you end up with a mess! Now, I saw this guy work and he has live folders off, but file preview on (see the JPEGS): Flurry...
Customization
Change folder icon?
Hello i have recently downloaded Leopard icons & was trying to use it as my defaults icons but i didn't knew how to do it except- eg i want to change "Windows" folder in C drive. c - right click on Windows - select properties - click Customize - click Customize icon in the bottom- select...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:34.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App