Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Make Windows 7 remember window positions and size!

06 Nov 2009   #141
Nosmo

Win 7 32 bit , Win xp Sp3
 
 

I am an XP user , but have evaluated Win 7 virtually and am still deciding if I am going to upgrade. My 3 licenses are ready to go but I am not.

Windows Explorer seems to me a step back.
My main issue is as follows/

First I have my folder setting to " Open each folder in its own window"
Users that do not use this setting will NOT be as frustrated with the lack of memory issue.

Now I like to customize the size and position of each window. With XP,' My Document' folder opens up so all one sees are folders in detail view.
Whenever I click "My Documents" desktop shortcut, the window that opens is ALWAYS the same size and position.

Other Windows Explorer windows operate the same.

Now in Win 7, much has been stripped out ( presumable to turn Vista into Win 7) and gone is the setting that allowed the above. Now every window
in WE opens to the size of the last open window. The programer responsible never bothered to see how XP worked and just changed it for the sake of change. His boss probably plays games more than he uses Windows Explorer to get work done......and so it goes. Appearance wins out over functionality.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Nov 2009   #142
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nosmo View Post
I am an XP user , but have evaluated Win 7 virtually and am still deciding if I am going to upgrade. My 3 licenses are ready to go but I am not.

Windows Explorer seems to me a step back.
My main issue is as follows/

First I have my folder setting to " Open each folder in its own window"
Users that do not use this setting will NOT be as frustrated with the lack of memory issue.

Now I like to customize the size and position of each window. With XP,' My Document' folder opens up so all one sees are folders in detail view.
Whenever I click "My Documents" desktop shortcut, the window that opens is ALWAYS the same size and position.

Other Windows Explorer windows operate the same.

Now in Win 7, much has been stripped out ( presumable to turn Vista into Win 7) and gone is the setting that allowed the above. Now every window
in WE opens to the size of the last open window. The programer responsible never bothered to see how XP worked and just changed it for the sake of change. His boss probably plays games more than he uses Windows Explorer to get work done......and so it goes. Appearance wins out over functionality.
Why not try to change their minds?

Requests to Microsoft.

Make sure you read the threads rules before posting.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #143
helmutcheese

Vista (Hate Win 7)
 
 

I do not think some of you even know what the issue is.

XP did remember sizes/layout of individual windows.

Vista had function but it was XP code instead so needed a fix from a clever peep, now it works.

Windows 7 does not have this same function we are missing, MS removed it in later Beta/RC builds (or broke it) even though Beta Testers told them about issues.

The function has NOTHING to do with opening 1 window, resizing and closing it, it has to do with every explorer window thereafter (apart from IE) will then copy that size.

I have stated this about 3 times already and if some of you claim you do not haver this issue I wonder what you use your PC for as I use this most basic Windows function that's been in every proper windows build ( I cant comment on really old dos builds).

Its that basic you may not even realise you use it as you should take it for granted it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Nov 2009   #144
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by helmutcheese View Post
I do not think some of you even know what the issue is.

XP did remember sizes/layout of individual windows.
By my knowledge it does not. It needs a registry hack too.

Quote:
Vista had function but it was XP code instead so needed a fix from a clever peep, now it works.
That clever peep used the reghack the other clever peep wrote for XP.

Quote:
The function has NOTHING to do with opening 1 window, resizing and closing it, it has to do with every explorer window thereafter (apart from IE) will then copy that size.
Yes, we got that.
But there were some folks talking about another issue, namely that when they set the explorer to not show left pane,
all their other shortcuts to explorer will adapt that setting instead of keeping their previous settings.

Quote:
I have stated this about 3 times already and if some of you claim you do not haver this issue I wonder what you use your PC for as I use this most basic Windows function that's been in every proper windows build ( I cant comment on really old dos builds).
Well, I would be very surprised when someone would state that DOS remembered Windows.

It would be like Julius Caesar remembering Hitler. just kidding

I will add your gripe to the list.

Greetings

Requests to Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #145
Dixon Butz

Win7 x64 X2, Win 8.0 x64, Win8.1 x64, Quad Boot
 
 

Win XP did remember window size and postion. However, it would only remember the last 400 windows. After that, it would start losing the ones previously remembered. The fix was to increase the bag size mru in the registry beyond 400. This fix does not work in Win 7.
This is one bug I noticed about 3 weeks after installing WinXP because I had a lot of drives and folders. Was very annoying.

As for Win 7, the fix is WindowManager from Desksoft. Like I said in post 92:

https://www.sevenforums.com/340741-post92.html

Windowmanager 1.3 finally remembers positions like in earlier Windows versions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #146
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dixon Butz View Post
Win XP did remember window size and postion. However, it would only remember the last 400 windows. After that, it would start losing the ones previously remembered. The fix was to increase the bag size mru in the registry beyond 400. This fix does not work in Win 7.
This is one bug I noticed about 3 weeks after installing WinXP because I had a lot of drives and folders. Was very annoying.

As for Win 7, the fix is WindowManager from Desksoft. Like I said in post 92:

https://www.sevenforums.com/340741-post92.html

Windowmanager 1.3 finally remembers positions like in earlier Windows versions.
If the option to remember folder windows was still in 7 than the previous fix for XP and Vista would work...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #147
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dixon Butz View Post
Win XP did remember window size and postion. However, it would only remember the last 400 windows. After that, it would start losing the ones previously remembered. The fix was to increase the bag size mru in the registry beyond 400. This fix does not work in Win 7.
This is one bug I noticed about 3 weeks after installing WinXP because I had a lot of drives and folders. Was very annoying.

As for Win 7, the fix is WindowManager from Desksoft. Like I said in post 92:

https://www.sevenforums.com/340741-post92.html

Windowmanager 1.3 finally remembers positions like in earlier Windows versions.
Thanks for the link.

Good to know there is a way to get it to work, and for $10, who can complain?

Win7 might lack this feature, but it has many new features that lacked in XP.
It's like with any new product from any manufacturer.

My new mainboard lacks a serial port, rendering my Wacom pen pad useless.
But no way I'm going to stick with XP just for that.

With 64bit W7 I had to say goodbye to Cubase SX3 and some of my favorite VSTi's after using it extensively for 6 yrs, and had learn to work with Reaper.
It took me weeks to get a little bit used to it, and it will take many weeks more to be as productive with it, as I was with Cubase.

But Reaper goes way beyond Cubase in many areas, and Windows 7 is so much more stable and productive, that I will gladly invest my time in it.

Some is gained, some is lost.

Think positive, find new ways to get the job done.
I've been doing it since DOS 5 and Win 3

Greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #148
ibethebear

Windows 7 64
 
 
WindowManager

I totally agree that this function should be built into Windows 7. This is a real step backwards. However I tried WindowManager, and it works fantastic. I have not paid the $10.00 fee as of yet so I suspect it may time out in a few weeks. If it continues to work this well. I will happily pay the fee.

http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #149
MrDeviance

windws 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Third party to replace old windows features?
Then who is stopping us from using third party apps to get windows xp looking like vista or windows 7?Isn't it the same thing? When we start using third party apps to do basic features in windows we are pretty much giving up on free resources.
Why should I install a windows that requires third party apps to do what the older one did natively? I know there are lots of people that are using vista transformation packs for windows xp which allow them to achieve a vista look and a few vista 3d alt+tab and more at less resources than both vista and win 7 require to run such features.
If eye candy is the only reason why we are using windows vista and win 7 then why not grab some vista transformation patch for xp and we can be done with it and also use third party ****...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #150
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrDeviance View Post
When we start using third party apps to do basic features in windows we are pretty much giving up on free resources.
If you have to worry about resources being taken by such a simple app....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrDeviance View Post
Why should I install a windows that requires third party apps to do what the older one did natively?
The same reason I install an emulator when I want to play Space Invaders or any classic Atari game.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrDeviance View Post
If eye candy is the only reason why we are using windows vista and win 7 then why not grab some vista transformation patch for xp and we can be done with it and also use third party ****...
Who's stopping you from applying this suggestion and using it? Nobody here. It's like you're asking us to choose for you or something. Use what you like and be happy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Make Windows 7 remember window positions and size!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
ShellFolderFix - Manage folder window positions/size
This is an app to make win7 explorer folder windows remember their size and position. It has a couple of additional features too, and hopefully some more later on. It does NOT manage window size/positions of regular applications, if you want that, other apps like Window Manager do it. Allthough I...
Free Developer Programs and Projects
Outlook 2007 doesn't remember window size
I've just installed win7-64 and Office 2007. When I open Outlook the window size is half the screen. I would like it bigger and drag the bottom of the window to the bottom of the screen. When I close Outlook and re-open, it reverts to the old window size and does not remember what I had set...
Microsoft Office
W7 Will not remember folder positions and sizes
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RC1 I'm working with Windows W7 in anticipation of upgrading my graphics / photography business from Vista. W7 will not remember Windows Explorer folder positions and sizes. This was an big issue for me in Vista, and I prayed that it would be fixed in W7 (while...
General Discussion
Want folder windows to remember size and position
Drives me nuts that Folder windows do not (have option) to remember their size and position. Or am I just stupid? And which forum would this be under?
General Discussion
Win7 can't remember window size of apps after update
After I did an update of nVidia 9600 gt driver in 'Windows Update', no longer is the window size of ANY applications that were open at the time of the update remembered (after I resize them, then close them then reopen them). It didn't affect all apps - Firefox was fine, but Internet...
BSOD Help and Support
Window Positions
Windows 7 is re-using window positions. Like when I open a folder, move and resize it, and then close it. The next folder I open is the same size and postion as the one I just closed. Or, when I open several folders, they all open next to the first open folder. Confirmed this on my other pc too....
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App