Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to use new keyboard and mouse

27 Apr 2011   #21
Agj32mrgibbits

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Have you tried booting into safe mode first to see if you get any response from your keyboard and mouse?

You may also have a faulty motherboard or some RAM gone bad.
The same think happens in safe mode, mouse and keyboard work until Windows fails at finding drivers. My motherboard is a high-quality motherboard and doesn't seem to have any problems, not exactly sure how to test the integrity of a motherboard though. My RAM has passed long tests of prime95.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by suman6792 View Post
JUST DOWNLOAD DRIVERMAX OR DEVICE DOCTOR OR DriverGenius
THEY ARE DRIVER MANAGING SOFTWARE. THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROB
I don't need any help downloading the drivers.



I will try Mike and pooch's posts and report back when I can.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Apr 2011   #22
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

This may also be useful to you;

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #23
Agj32mrgibbits

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
This may also be useful to you;

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Regards....Mike Connor
Wow, I've found hundreds of the duplicate devices in there, possibly from it installing drivers every time I plug the devices back in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Apr 2011   #24
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Agj32mrgibbits View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
This may also be useful to you;

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Regards....Mike Connor
Wow, I've found hundreds of the duplicate devices in there, possibly from it installing drivers every time I plug the devices back in.

Well, looks like you found the problem then!

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #25
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Agj32mrgibbits View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
This may also be useful to you;

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Regards....Mike Connor
Wow, I've found hundreds of the duplicate devices in there, possibly from it installing drivers every time I plug the devices back in.
Thats what I suggested complete with remedy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #26
Agj32mrgibbits

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Didn't work.

Pictures:
-1 is immediately after installing the drivers, rebooting, and plugging the devices in.
-2 is after Windows fails to find drivers.
-3 is after uninstalling the devices, rebooting, and then prompty killing all the drvinst.exe processes, which is the only way I've been able to get them working so far

The usb device on hub 0004 is the dell ball mouse I've been using during the process.





Could the usb.ids error have something to do with it?

I will probably end up having to reinstall Windows and just use my #3 method to keep them working until then.

Thanks for all the help so far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #27
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Agj32mrgibbits View Post
Didn't work.

Pictures:
-1 is immediately after installing the drivers, rebooting, and plugging the devices in.
-2 is after Windows fails to find drivers.
-3 is after uninstalling the devices, rebooting, and then prompty killing all the drvinst.exe processes, which is the only way I've been able to get them working so far

The usb device on hub 0004 is the dell ball mouse I've been using during the process.





Could the usb.ids error have something to do with it?

I will probably end up having to reinstall Windows and just use my #3 method to keep them working until then.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Unfortunate. The trouble is, that once some error causes something like this to occur, it can be extremely difficult to find, and so most of the measures are then to remove various things and reinstall them, this often works, but it doesn't tell you what the error was, and if it doesn't work you are no better off and no wiser either.

If one is unable to solve such problems within a reasonable time-frame, then the only real recourse is a clean install.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #28
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Hello Agj32mrgibbits if mikes advice does not work try this

General USB problems
After a USB device is installed and then removed Windows hides the driver this first part makes all hidden drivers visible.
Remove all USB devices
Click on start orb, Type Advanced System settings in the search box and click to go there.
Click on Advanced tab, Click on Enviroment Variables.
Under the window System variables click on New.
Type " devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" (without the ") as the variable name and type 1 as the value.
Click ok 3 times to close the windows
Click on start orb, Type Device Manager in the search box and click to go there.
Click on View, Click on Show hidden devices.
Now you can uninstall all old and unknown USB devices.
The infcache.1 file is used to store information about USB drivers, the information in this file may have become corrupted or may cause windows to load the wrong driver or cause a driver not found message to be generated.
Deleting this file will force windows to generate a new infcache.1 file
Right click on the start orb and select Windows Explorer,
Select Computer in the address bar and search for infcache.1
Right click on the file infcache.1 (if you have more instances of Windows installed only do this for infcache.1 C:\Windows\System32\Driver Store)
Click on properties, Click on security tab, Click on Edit, Click on Add
Type Administrators In the window with the blinking cursor, Click OK
Place a tick in the box under allow to the right of Full Control, Click Apply, Yes and OK
Delete the infcache.1 file
Connect a USB device, but not the one you were having trouble with to make a new infcache .1
New Start the PC and try your device again.
Did you try going through this post?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #29
Agj32mrgibbits

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Hello Agj32mrgibbits if mikes advice does not work try this

General USB problems
After a USB device is installed and then removed Windows hides the driver this first part makes all hidden drivers visible.
Remove all USB devices
Click on start orb, Type Advanced System settings in the search box and click to go there.
Click on Advanced tab, Click on Enviroment Variables.
Under the window System variables click on New.
Type " devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" (without the ") as the variable name and type 1 as the value.
Click ok 3 times to close the windows
Click on start orb, Type Device Manager in the search box and click to go there.
Click on View, Click on Show hidden devices.
Now you can uninstall all old and unknown USB devices.
The infcache.1 file is used to store information about USB drivers, the information in this file may have become corrupted or may cause windows to load the wrong driver or cause a driver not found message to be generated.
Deleting this file will force windows to generate a new infcache.1 file
Right click on the start orb and select Windows Explorer,
Select Computer in the address bar and search for infcache.1
Right click on the file infcache.1 (if you have more instances of Windows installed only do this for infcache.1 C:\Windows\System32\Driver Store)
Click on properties, Click on security tab, Click on Edit, Click on Add
Type Administrators In the window with the blinking cursor, Click OK
Place a tick in the box under allow to the right of Full Control, Click Apply, Yes and OK
Delete the infcache.1 file
Connect a USB device, but not the one you were having trouble with to make a new infcache .1
New Start the PC and try your device again.
Did you try going through this post?
Yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #30
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Agj32mrgibbits View Post
Didn't work.







Could the usb.ids error have something to do with it?
I am a bit confused as there are drivers showing from devices that are not connected these should all be gone or are you using multiple mice and keyboards?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to use new keyboard and mouse




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
2.4 Ghz wireless keyboard mouse driver not found (Penguin mouse)
I got a wireless mouse Penguin Ambidextrous Vertical Mouse | Posturite. It is supposed to use generic windows 2.4 Ghz adapter. However, windows 7 is unable to find any drivers. The screenshot of device manager is appended. I tried various other ways e.g. take out other USB devices, reboot etc. I...
Drivers
Mouse scroll and keyboard stop working until left click of mouse
After about 1 minute the mouse scroll and keyboard stop working until I left click mouse. Tool bar on browser also greys out but comes back after left click. Video and sound also are choppy. Not sure if this is related. Flash keeps crashing. Any ideas whats wrong? Windows 7 pro. Asus desktop. This...
General Discussion
are keyboard & mouse 64 bit?
hi all, i got a question, are keyboard and mouse also 64 bit? i mean i have 64 bit os, so do i need keyboard and mouse that are 64 bit?
Hardware & Devices
Keyboard + Mouse
Sorry if this is in the wrong topic im using Windows 7. Just got my Computer and for some reason i cant hold a Key and Move the mouse at the same time.... i know its not really a big problem but its been bugging me lately
Hardware & Devices
keyboard & mouse lag in IE8
Recently I have been experiencing serious but intermittent keyboard lag, also lag when scrolling with mouse wheel, cursor competely freezing at times. It seems to only occur with IE8. Closing the browser and reopening usually cures the problem - but only briefly before it starts again. Anyone...
Browsers & Mail
new keyboard + mouse
ok so our original dell set packed in. we had to make do with a crappy cheap thing for a few days. today we got a Microsoft wireless laser desktop 5000 i must say its a really nice pair. very comfy to use. however it does say that the set is vista compatible and 7 compatible. i cannot...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App