Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: built new computer, win7 pro won't list HDD

24 Apr 2011   #11
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Then go to the partition tab and Create

Then back to the partition tab > Modify and set to primary and Active

That's all

When you get stuck, there is a Help button on the top right. There you find more detailed verse.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Apr 2011   #12
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Depending on the size of the drive I suggest you use the Advance disk option in the Windows installer to delete what ever partition you created with the Mini tool then create a partition of about 100GBs (could be as small as 60GBs but if you plan on installing software to the C drive then 100GBs is better) for the OS to install to. That will also create another partition of 100MB for the System Reserve which IMHO is needed.

Good Luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #13
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Depending on the size of the drive I suggest you use the Advance disk option in the Windows installer to delete what ever partition you created with the Mini tool then create a partition of about 100GBs (could be as small as 60GBs but if you plan on installing software to the C drive then 100GBs is better) for the OS to install to. That will also create another partition of 100MB for the System Reserve which IMHO is needed.

Good Luck.
If you install into a predefined active primary, you should not get the 100MB active partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Apr 2011   #14
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Depending on the size of the drive I suggest you use the Advance disk option in the Windows installer to delete what ever partition you created with the Mini tool then create a partition of about 100GBs (could be as small as 60GBs but if you plan on installing software to the C drive then 100GBs is better) for the OS to install to. That will also create another partition of 100MB for the System Reserve which IMHO is needed.

Good Luck.
If you install into a predefined active primary, you should not get the 100MB active partition.
I know that but.
I have tried that on 2 different PC and never got the install to complete. Also there are reports with larger hard drive that it is best to partition a smaller area for the OS and to let Windows create the 100MB partition.
In fact it is right in the tutorial on this forum. Although right now I can't find it.
Just trying to save this guy from any more problems, now and in the future.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #15
MARKAS

windows 7 professional 64bit
 
 

Thanks guys. You have been a great help.
Windows now recognises my HDD. and is now in step 2 of installing windows.
One question though, the program that I downloaded onto the CD, can that be used for all HDs or just mine in particular?

Again many thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #16
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MARKAS View Post
Thanks guys. You have been a great help.
Windows now recognises my HDD. and is now in step 2 of installing windows.
One question though, the program that I downloaded onto the CD, can that be used for all HDs or just mine in particular?

Again many thanks!
You can us it on any hard drive in any computer. Yours, your neighborer, girl friend, what/whoever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2011   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

As the man says.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 built new computer, win7 pro won't list HDD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB WiFi Adapter - Built-In Win7 Drivers?
I'm looking for a USB WiFi adaptor that I can plug into a Win7 box and it will work without downloading or installing any new drivers. i.e., Drivers are included with Win7 and the adapter will work just by plugging it in. I want to be able to use it on newly imaged machines to get them on...
Hardware & Devices
Just built a computer now what?
I built a computer with I5 processor, 16gb of ram, and DDR3 motherboard. just wondering what i can do with it. I tried using IIS in win server 2012 and also bought a domain from godaddy hoping to host a website but im unable to figure out the DNS, any suggestions what i can do with the PC?
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Built new computer, Win7 Upgrade disc or Full?
Just built my new computer but realized that I can't use the same Windows 7 disc/cd-key that's on my old computer because it's only one per computer when I thought it was 3. Looking at the prices on the Windows 7, it costs $119 for upgrade and $200 for full retail. From what I have read, when...
General Discussion
Is there a built-in messaging function with Win7?
I am working in an office and would like to know if there is some sort of instant messaging capability in Windows 7. We would like to be able to message other computers in our small (5 or 6 computer) network without having to get up and walk around or use a phone page (some people have headphones...
General Discussion
Win7 + X-Fi: Can't decode DD/DTS (Isn't this built into
I'm getting a little frustrated because the latest Creative X-Fi drivers say this: I've checked the compatibility, and my Xtreme Music supports this DD/DTS decoding. However, in the audio console I do not have a decoder tab and my SPDIF I/O tab has the SPDIF drop-down grayed out and set to...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+