Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Latest Intel Chipset Device Software

02 Nov 2009   #101
sethm1

Windows 7
 
 

Regarding the Realtek Link it does say to check for drivers from then Mobo's downloads - which I did.

Plus when I click on next (in the Realtek page), I get this:
Object moved to here.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Nov 2009   #102
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sethm1 View Post
Regarding the Realtek Link it does say to check for drivers from then Mobo's downloads - which I did.

Plus when I click on next (in the Realtek page), I get this:
Object moved to here.
try this...

Realtek

Check the box below...then a download page appears...choose the executable file for Windows 7 x64...

Trust me you can download the driver from that link and it should work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #103
Jehanzeb

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Hello,

anyone has found a way to fix intel chipset problem on Windows 7 yet?

Regards

Jehanzeb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Nov 2009   #104
Codify

Win7 Pro; Linux Mint 7
 
 

I'm surprised that throughout all 11 pages of this thread, no-one has pointed out that these chipset "drivers" are not drivers at all. What you are downloading is the "Chipset Device Software". It does not contain any drivers at all, it is it's just a collection of INF files that tell Windows the correct descriptive names of the devices to show in Device Manager:



That's all it does. Windows 7 does this automatically, so the only reason you would need this software is if you had messed up your computer somehow and the devices were not showing. You do not need this software on a fresh OS install.

More from Intel:

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility - What is the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility?

The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility (also known as the Intel® Chipset Device Software) is often referred to as the chipset driver or chipset drivers. This is a common misconception.

What is a driver?
A driver is a program that allows a computer to communicate (or talk to) a piece of hardware. The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, however, is not a driver, nor does it include drivers. It contains information files (INFs).

What is an INF?
An INF is a text file that provides the operating system with information about a piece of hardware on the system. In the case of the current Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, that information is primarily the product name for the piece of hardware. This allows the operating system to show the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.
If a chipset is released well after an operating system, the INF allows the operating system to identify all the pieces of the chipset. Intel and Microsoft* work together to include information on both current and future chipsets in new operating systems so, in many cases, the operating system will recognize all the pieces of the chipset even without the INF.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #105
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Codify View Post
I'm surprised that throughout all 11 pages of this thread, no-one has pointed out that these chipset "drivers" are not drivers at all. What you are downloading is the "Chipset Device Software". It does not contain any drivers at all, it is it's just a collection of INF files that tell Windows the correct descriptive names of the devices to show in Device Manager:



That's all it does. Windows 7 does this automatically, so the only reason you would need this software is if you had messed up your computer somehow and the devices were not showing. You do not need this software on a fresh OS install.

More from Intel:

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility - What is the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility?

The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility (also known as the Intel® Chipset Device Software) is often referred to as the chipset driver or chipset drivers. This is a common misconception.

What is a driver?
A driver is a program that allows a computer to communicate (or talk to) a piece of hardware. The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, however, is not a driver, nor does it include drivers. It contains information files (INFs).

What is an INF?
An INF is a text file that provides the operating system with information about a piece of hardware on the system. In the case of the current Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, that information is primarily the product name for the piece of hardware. This allows the operating system to show the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.
If a chipset is released well after an operating system, the INF allows the operating system to identify all the pieces of the chipset. Intel and Microsoft* work together to include information on both current and future chipsets in new operating systems so, in many cases, the operating system will recognize all the pieces of the chipset even without the INF.
Alrighty then...the next time my friend installs XP on his X58 chipset and his USB devices and the sort do not work...

I will tell him that updating the chipset from intel won't make a difference...

Seriously though...intel is undercutting the fact that the chipset does more than provides you a meaningful name to Device Manager
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #106
Codify

Win7 Pro; Linux Mint 7
 
 

Quote:
Alrighty then...the next time my friend installs XP on his X58 chipset and his USB devices and the sort do not work...

I will tell him that updating the chipset from intel won't make a difference...

Seriously though...intel is undercutting the fact that the chipset does more than provides you a meaningful name to Device Manager
If he is installing current generation chipset in a 9 year old OS, then he may need this software in order that XP can display the device names correctly. But this is a Windows 7 forum, and 7 can display the correct device names for all current intel chipsets, without the need for this software utility. It is simply unnecessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #107
sethm1

Windows 7
 
 

Codify -

So, then no need to update the Intel Chipset?
Prior to posting here, I went to ASUS (my mobo) website. Downloaded what I thought was a intel chipset driver and it ended up turning off the front port (Maybe others) head phone port- I got no sound from the front of my PC tower.

here is the weblink:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

for
Intel Chipset Inf Update Program V9.1.1.1014 for Windows XP 32bit/XP 64bit/Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit Win7 32bit/64bit.

So what your saying is the above install is not neccessary ( and is not an actual driver) if my Device Mgr is working fine?

I thought I saw a Intel update months ago when my machine was runnning under Vista. If there was one, its now off the ASUS site. I wonder what it was.

And in other words – leave it alone.

I also noticed something else the other day and which I thought was connected to this Intel chipset deal, is that when I connect my iPod Nano, a menu pops up as if it was a USB device.
AND I don’t have that checked in the iTunes setting – about using the Nano as a manual driver (sorry at work so forgot the actual lingo).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #108
ratePV

Windows 7 SP1 x64
 
 

Quote:
The Intel(R) Chipset Device Software installs Windows*
INF files to the target system. These files outline to
the operating system how to configure the Intel(R) chipset
components in order to ensure that the following features
function properly:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- PCIe Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- SATA Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) Chipset Components in
the Device Manager
Quote from readme on Intel's site.

And yes you can choose not to install them(but loosing the functions of your mobo)

SO YES EVERYONE SHOULD INSTALL THEM!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #109
moadip

 
 

all versions including W7 intel_chipset_9.1.1.1023
intel inf update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #110
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ratePV View Post
Quote:
The Intel(R) Chipset Device Software installs Windows*
INF files to the target system. These files outline to
the operating system how to configure the Intel(R) chipset
components in order to ensure that the following features
function properly:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- PCIe Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- SATA Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) Chipset Components in
the Device Manager
Quote from readme on Intel's site.

And yes you can choose not to install them(but loosing the functions of your mobo)

SO YES EVERYONE SHOULD INSTALL THEM!
THANK YOU!!!

That guys post above would have people think that updating a chipset isn't necessary...

Why the hell would intel update a chipset if all it did was make Device Manager show correctly? By his logic they could put out a version of the chipset per each OS once and be done with it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Latest Intel Chipset Device Software




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO & Intel® Chipset Device Sof
Hi Friends: Yesterday, I installed my new computer and it has the following: - Intel DX58SO Extreme Series X58 - Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz - Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB - EVGA 02G-P3-1185-AR GeForce GTX285 - Western Digital 300GB Sata HDD 10K RPM - WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0
Drivers
Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.1.1.1020
Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for 945, 946, 955, 975 Chipset-Based Intel® Desktop Boards  Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for 945, 946, 955, 975 Chipset-Based Intel® Desktop Boards
Drivers
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility Benchmarks?
Has anyone ever actually done any benchmarks before and after installing Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility to determine whether it improves performance?
Drivers
Released: Intel Chipset Software 9.1.1.1014
Intel Chipset Software Installation 9.1.1.1014 WHQL Follow this link
Drivers
Latest Intel Chipset Inf?
What version of Intel Chipset Inf is being used for Windows 7? I ask because I see two versions but they don't seem accurate: Intel Chipset Inf v9.1.0.1013: Icrontic » Intel chipset drivers for Windows 7 have arrived Intel Chipset Inf v9.1.1.1012: intel drivers pour chipsets Obviously...
Drivers
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 9.1.1.1011
Download the recently released Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 9.1.1.1011. This is for both x86 and x64 XP, Vista, 2000, and Windows 7. Drivers included are for the popular 945 and 965 series. These drivers are newer than what is available on Intel's website. * Product: Intel(R)...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App