Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it normal to pay for driver updates?

29 Mar 2014   #11
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
If you are being asked to pay for driver updates, you've possibly been had--compromised, infected, invaded---by some program, probably accidentally.

How's your anti-virus/anti-malware protection?

Quicktime has always been a pain in my experience. Have you considered "Quicktime Alternative"?
It just occured to me that I use Video LAN to play MOV and other files like that... but to play some radio stations online,,, that's where it needed quicktime... I should go into the file associations and move all quicktime functions to VLC?

In my Opinion you are better off with VLC ,Quicktime is kind of featureless i haven't used it in over 15 years
Thanks. VLC seems to be pretty good.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Apr 2014   #12
Chupacabra666

Win 7 x64 Pro & Ultimate
 
 

Quicktime is Apple junk. Stick with VLC, it plays just about everything you’d want it to.

If you’re being nagged to pay for drivers, your system is highly likely (99% chance) compromised with malware or worse. You need to open up your Malwarebytes and Norton, perform an update, and then do a full scan with each program. I also recommend downloading SuperAntiSpyware as it is free as well. Once they all find and remove bad programs, reboot, and perform full scans again. If your scans are still not showing clean, you’ll need more detailed troubleshooting than we can provide here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #13
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chupacabra666 View Post
Quicktime is Apple junk. Stick with VLC, it plays just about everything you’d want it to.

If you’re being nagged to pay for drivers, your system is highly likely (99% chance) compromised with malware or worse. You need to open up your Malwarebytes and Norton, perform an update, and then do a full scan with each program. I also recommend downloading SuperAntiSpyware as it is free as well. Once they all find and remove bad programs, reboot, and perform full scans again. If your scans are still not showing clean, you’ll need more detailed troubleshooting than we can provide here.
Not necessarily. I get lots of marketing calls and don't pick up the phone but you're right, they got in somehow... will do the full scans. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Apr 2014   #14
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Not necessarily. I get lots of marketing calls and don't pick up the phone but you're right, they got in somehow... will do the full scans. Thanks.
With a little bit of effort you can eliminate 99% of those calls, go here: https://National Do Not Call List (DNCL) | www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ and register your home land line and or your cell phone numbers.

As here in the States there are still some entities that can contact you, check out the "Things you should know" panel on the upper right side of the page.


If you're getting junk mail in the Post, it's a bit different for Canada than here in the States, see: https://How do I stop delivery of Admail items to my home or business? | www.canadapost.ca/

If you're receiving junk mail from the States this site may help: Consumers - Sponsorship | DMA'sconsumer opt-out services back when I registered there was no 5$ online fee, but registering by snail mail is still free.

I don't know if registering your Canadian phone number here in the States will help or work. Federal Trade Commission | donotcall.gov


Its gotten a lot quieter around here since I put us on both.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #15
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Update
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
It just occured to me that I use Video LAN to play MOV and other files like that... but to play some radio stations online,,, that's where it needed quicktime... I should go into the file associations and move all quicktime functions to VLC?

In my Opinion you are better off with VLC ,Quicktime is kind of featureless i haven't used it in over 15 years
Thanks. VLC seems to be pretty good.
VLC is awesome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #16
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Not necessarily. I get lots of marketing calls and don't pick up the phone but you're right, they got in somehow... will do the full scans. Thanks.
With a little bit of effort you can eliminate 99% of those calls, go here: https://National Do Not Call List (DNCL) | www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ and register your home land line and or your cell phone numbers.

As here in the States there are still some entities that can contact you, check out the "Things you should know" panel on the upper right side of the page.


If you're getting junk mail in the Post, it's a bit different for Canada than here in the States, see: https://How do I stop delivery of Admail items to my home or business? | www.canadapost.ca/

If you're receiving junk mail from the States this site may help: Consumers - Sponsorship | DMA'sconsumer opt-out services back when I registered there was no 5$ online fee, but registering by snail mail is still free.

I don't know if registering your Canadian phone number here in the States will help or work. Federal Trade Commission | donotcall.gov


Its gotten a lot quieter around here since I put us on both.
I was on it but it didn't work. The govt can't get at the call centers in Pakistan, for instance. One guy I know said he didn't get calls until he put himself on the list! People can leave messages. Doesn't bother me if I don't pick up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #17
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post


In my Opinion you are better off with VLC ,Quicktime is kind of featureless i haven't used it in over 15 years
Thanks. VLC seems to be pretty good.
VLC is awesome
VLC is awesome. I'm slowly changing all associations from Quicktime to VLC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it normal to pay for driver updates?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is it normal to check one update box and two updates install ?
Is it normal to check one update box and two updates install ? Windows update is set at: "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important update" is unchecked. The updates were: Update for...
Windows Updates & Activation
Are Fault Buckets normal during Windows Updates installation?
I just reinstalled Windows 7 Pro (x64) and installed over 200 Windows Updates. I installed the Windows Updates by category, when possible, (SP1 Update 1st, Security Updates 2nd, Windows 7 Updates 3rd, etc.), maybe 20 at a time. I wanted to install them by Release Date order, but I had trouble...
Windows Updates & Activation
Is it Normal to have new updates for Windows defender everyday?
I'm not sure if its normal or a software/hardware/driver conflict because I always receive new updates for Windows defender either 2 days - 3 days or a day.
Windows Updates & Activation
Internet does not work in normal mode after Windows 7 updates
Hi, I am trying to solve this problem for quite some time. I went through some of the existing threads but did not get answer, so posting new thread. I have a sony laptop which has Windows 7 on it. Because of some problem, I reinstalled windows 7 on it using its recovery option. But after I did...
Network & Sharing
windows 7 updates taking too long, is this normal?
my windows 7 is installing updates. - it has been at updating 20 of 121 for 3 hours. Is this normal? is there anything I should do? Please help.
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App