Installing video driver for Intel 855 Centrino Chipset  

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 28,845
    Win 8 Release candidate 8400
       #81

    randon shutdown


    dg8162 said:
    No.

    "Windows 7
    Evaluation copy. Build 7100".

    Daniel
    Well daniel I thought that was to easy but had to ask. I read the thread and didn't find you post about overheating could you give me a brief overview? I also have a dell and mine runs hot as well.

    Ken
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8
    Win7
       #82

    zigzag3143 said:
    Well daniel I thought that was to easy but had to ask. I read the thread and didn't find you post about overheating could you give me a brief overview? I also have a dell and mine runs hot as well.

    Ken
    Sorry, my mistake. The comment was on another forum somewhere and I can't seem to find it. It was not particularly revelationary as I recall. One user reported the random power downs and another responded that it was likely overheating.

    This got me thinking about the new power management features in Windows 7. I understand that Windows 7 does some stuff behind the scenes to optimise power usage, much more than previous Windows versions and I thought that perhaps this is somehow incompatible with the older Dell laptops.

    It might be worth looking into disabling the new power features and seeing if the systems run cooler.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 38
    Windows 7 x64 and x86
       #83

    It's definitely overheat! When my 700m with windows 7 7127 power off, I was usually copying several Gigs of files from one place to the other place & watching rmvb or divx & using firefox... The vent on left hand side was extremely hot. What surprise me is that it never happened in XP...
    Last edited by cwzkevin; 12 Jul 2009 at 20:37.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8
    Win7
       #84

    A search of Google for "windows 7 overheat" reveals a number of similar reports, overheating in Win7 but not in XP.

    No obvious solutions found...yet.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 16
    Windows 7
       #85

    Try installling Dell Inspiron Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control (Not sure if it will work with win7) And keep an eye on the temp. While you are at it see if the fans are set to low speeds eventhough they shouldnt be. If so set them on high. You can also underclock your pc if you wanted to.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 28,845
    Win 8 Release candidate 8400
       #86

    overheating?


    dg8162 said:
    Sorry, my mistake. The comment was on another forum somewhere and I can't seem to find it. It was not particularly revelationary as I recall. One user reported the random power downs and another responded that it was likely overheating.

    This got me thinking about the new power management features in Windows 7. I understand that Windows 7 does some stuff behind the scenes to optimise power usage, much more than previous Windows versions and I thought that perhaps this is somehow incompatible with the older Dell laptops.

    It might be worth looking into disabling the new power features and seeing if the systems run cooler.
    I have an insiron 1405 (old as the hills) and it ran hot enough to even cause some instability. it wasn't just on win 7, but on vista as well. Besides the obvious things I did download core temp to monitor the temp, and 18kfanto see if I could get it to run cooler (which it does). what power plan are you using i win 7? high perf, balanced or battery?

    Ken
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8
    Win7
       #87

    zigzag3143 said:
    I have an insiron 1405 (old as the hills) and it ran hot enough to even cause some instability. it wasn't just on win 7, but on vista as well. Besides the obvious things I did download core temp to monitor the temp, and 18kfanto see if I could get it to run cooler (which it does). what power plan are you using i win 7? high perf, balanced or battery?

    Ken
    I've tried both balanced and high performance with the same issue. I guess it could come down to the graphics card overheating due to hacked driver install. I wonder if anyone is having similar issues using the standard (default) video driver (the one that don't go above 1024x768).
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 8
    Win7
       #88

    I think I may be back on track. I installed "Notebook Hardware Control" (at Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) - Homepage, Downloads, Help, Docu, FAQ, News - www.pbus-167.com) and decreased the CPU voltage so that my system runs about 10 degrees cooler (in celsius). So far today I have not had a crash and also just completed a burn-in test using Sandra.

    Fingers crossed that this is a work around.

    Please post here if anyone has success with this method.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 38
    Windows 7 x64 and x86
       #89

    So, both 3722 and 4656 driver worked for my 700m now, thanks to Arathranar with his solution to the 0x7E BSOD... Great!
    Last edited by cwzkevin; 15 Jul 2009 at 23:51.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2
    windows 7
       #90

    dg8162 said:
    I think I may be back on track. I installed "Notebook Hardware Control" (at Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) - Homepage, Downloads, Help, Docu, FAQ, News - www.pbus-167.com) and decreased the CPU voltage so that my system runs about 10 degrees cooler (in celsius). So far today I have not had a crash and also just completed a burn-in test using Sandra.

    Fingers crossed that this is a work around.

    Please post here if anyone has success with this method.
    I had this problem too, after installing the driver in W7 (never had the problem in XP). I installed i8kfan and set the fan to run always, which seemed to help, but I'm going to try this now to see if I can set the fan back to automatic.
      My Computer


 
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.
Find Us