Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Steam good or bad?

12 Sep 2010   #11
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

yeah but thats like saying the same about the os people didnt want to jump from xp to vista and now everyone is running to 7
Most every program that is brand new will have kinks and bugs untill sorted out

Example windows ME so many people loved it most avoided it and went directly to xp alot of people didnt want vista cause they felt it was a let down but guess what the one's that used vista found out it wasnt that bad after all

I think some people are just tools to what they know not a bad thing but sooner or later have to adjust with the times lol


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Sep 2010   #12
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
You have to watch yourself with Steam/Source. You can end up with a few game disks that will become unusable if you should have the need to reinstall Windows at some point and the "duplicate cd key" message appears with a relinstall on a fresh copy of Windows.

If you buy a new disk and want to create a new account the disk will automatically detect and activate itself to any other account automatically during the installation! Support will even lock up the first account when trying to disconnect the new from the old! This is one reason why some are GGGrrrrrrr... as far as Steam is concerned having been "steamed over Steam"!
This is the problem in a nutshell, for me it was after five installs of my Crysis wars it told me that I was using the CD key too many times and it wouldn't run.

That was until I went into the Crysis game files and used the Crysis bin64 application file which allowed the game to run for me without the hassles. I would much rather have the CD myself. The advantage with Steam is that the patches and updated 64 bit versions that don't come on the CD install automatically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #13
smarteyeball

 
 

I rarely use it, so I don't have any strong opinions one way or the other - except that the pricing system is inequitable.

$79.95 USD equates to $86.30 AUS and it varies often according to the exchange rate

An extra $6 or $7 bucks may not sound like much, but when you can buy a physical copy in a store for $79.95 AUS - and quite often cheaper, Steam starts looking a little less attractive.


As for patching - I'm perfectly capable of finding and installing patches on my own...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Sep 2010   #14
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
This is the problem in a nutshell, for me it was after five installs of my Crysis wars it told me that I was using the CD key too many times and it wouldn't run.
But that's not down to Steam. That would be EA and their DRM, surely you would of come across the same issue with the game on the retail version. A lot of games come with limited installs and you have to contact the provider to get more when you use them. I think it's a terrible feature myself but no fault of Valve's. So that's not a problem with Steam and more an issue with 3rd party developers / producers.

Edit: Also, one other pro, the in game overly is great. There's a web browser and you can manage and chat with friends among other things.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #15
adt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

steam used to be a pain in the ass a few years ago but now it has improved alot and i almost have no problems with it. great program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #16
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I agree, that the EA activation has more to do with EA than Steam.

As for the EA DRM issue, if you ever need to re-install Windows for whatever reason, they should have a De-Authorization Tool you can DL for most of their games.

Running it deactivates the game on that PC, and gives you a Activation back. If I recall, you get 5 activations per game, on any PC.



As far as Steam, I never used to like it. But I have now grown to really like it and use it for most of my Digital Downloads now. There are far worse Digital Distributors.

In the past, I have had bad experience with D2D for example.
Certain games simply de-activate themselves prompting for activation. You have a limited number of Activations, and end up waiting a day or 2 for customer support to help re-activate etc. Bioshock was one of these. If I install Rome Total War (also from D2D) then Bioshock deactivates, as well as RTW.
This ended up being a major pain. I simply can't stand them and will never make another purchase from them.

While this may not be a issue for some, I should not be limited to my activations without control (in case I want to re-install Windows) and be at the mercy of CS to re-activate.



No such issues with Steam for me. And, can DL and Install as often as I choose, on any PC I choose without limitation.

Steam is now my 1st choice for Digital Downloads, and EADM is my second choice. While activations are limited with EA, you still have control of them.
5 activations on any 5 PCs, and the ability to de-activate and get 1 back at any time isn't so bad IMHO.
This i can deal with.

Steam on the other hand is totaly painless. I really like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #17
OneSerious

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
In the past, I have had bad experience with D2D for example.
I used D2D once and found it to have truly terrible DL speeds. Also used EA Download Manager and hated ever second of it. Though it's speeds where sweet. Also used GFWL and whilst I like it as an interface that is linked with your Xbox 360 their Digital Download system is terrible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #18
Darician

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
I see alot of good things being said about team in this post and little any Cons on the Subject

In general i think alot hate steam because it is a growing trend not the fact that it works or not most people hate anything that other people like anyway or that goes Mainstream as steam did

So the non mainstreamers will avoid steam till one day steam will control most game apps where you will be forced to use it
That would be a very scary thought if it actually happened. I prefer physical media to Steam because I don't like having extra software running in the background on my PC. Additionally, Steam itself is kind of clunky and slow for my taste. Additionally, I hate forced updates because there are instances when updates actually will screw up a game for one reason or another and I would rather see other people test it before I choose to update rather than be forced to update.

It's not Steam becoming mainstream that's a problem; it's just the fact that with digital purchases, you don't have something proving your purchase. If your account gets hacked or what not, you have to fight to get it back. There's too much hinging on just that account. I'd rather just have CDs for my games and if I happen to lose one, well, that's just too bad, I can replace it but if I lose my account, I've lost all my games. It may be paranoia to a degree but it's one of those things that always sits in the back of my mind with Steam.

Additionally, I've noticed that with games that have mods, mods can only be installed with the retail version of the game, not with the Steam version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #19
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
As for this comment,

Quote:
You have to watch yourself with Steam/Source. You can end up with a few game disks that will become unusable if you should have the need to reinstall Windows at some point and the "duplicate cd key" message appears with a relinstall on a fresh copy of Windows.
I'd have to disagree. All your Steam games are linked to your Steam account. So long as you have the game and are logged in you can DL and play and it doesn't matter what machine you are on. So essentially you could have it on any amount of computers you want but could only log on to one at a time.

Edit: I know people like to have the hard copy in their possession. Boxes, manuals and the like. I'm one such person, but I have a 360 for all that. I'm happy to go digital on PC.
That was the same account created at the time for the exact same disk. When moving ouf of the 7 beta builds into the RCs the duplicate error was constant even after being logged into the account since you have to log on first before you can do anything.

Later FEAR2 went onto the same account without any problems incliuding not only moving from RC to retail but different clean installs between the last and the new build. But FEAR2 was bought on disk not simply a download you can't replace if a drive needs to be wiped of fails on you.

Disk cases, paper inserts, booklets can be annoying at times especially if you have a large cd case for storing dfisks in sleeves rather then stacks of plastic casses. But all that still means something to the collectors eventually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2010   #20
cloud8521

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
As for this comment,

Quote:
You have to watch yourself with Steam/Source. You can end up with a few game disks that will become unusable if you should have the need to reinstall Windows at some point and the "duplicate cd key" message appears with a relinstall on a fresh copy of Windows.
I'd have to disagree. All your Steam games are linked to your Steam account. So long as you have the game and are logged in you can DL and play and it doesn't matter what machine you are on. So essentially you could have it on any amount of computers you want but could only log on to one at a time.

Edit: I know people like to have the hard copy in their possession. Boxes, manuals and the like. I'm one such person, but I have a 360 for all that. I'm happy to go digital on PC.
That was the same account created at the time for the exact same disk. When moving ouf of the 7 beta builds into the RCs the duplicate error was constant even after being logged into the account since you have to log on first before you can do anything.

Later FEAR2 went onto the same account without any problems incliuding not only moving from RC to retail but different clean installs between the last and the new build. But FEAR2 was bought on disk not simply a download you can't replace if a drive needs to be wiped of fails on you.

Disk cases, paper inserts, booklets can be annoying at times especially if you have a large cd case for storing dfisks in sleeves rather then stacks of plastic casses. But all that still means something to the collectors eventually.
when you buy it on disk and insert your key the first time, it will be in the games section to be downloaded. the cd is just the quicker way to install it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Steam good or bad?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
good music player with good Equalizer?
Does anybody know of a good music player that has a good Equalizer? IMO, the equalizer sucks for WMP 11, realplayer free, and my sound card. I like the PowerAMP app for my android, the equalizer has a sick bass. but it's not available on pc.
Software
BSOD When Installing Games on Steam/Launching Games Through Steam
It started yesterday when I attempted to launch a game (Civilization V) through Steam and got the BSOD error. I uninstalled and re-installed Steam, my graphics drivers, everything I can possibly think of, including a general fix Steam itself responded to me with (which was completely unspecific to...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD starting Grand theft auto IV as non steam game in steam.
I get a bsod when starting GTA 4, i think its something to do with avast however. Please help finding what is causeing the bsod. Zipped Files attached. Computer build is about a month old. Thanks.
BSOD Help and Support
Steam Game Issue (can't enable Steam Guard)
I have run Steam after purchasing 2 games from DVD (and a pack from Steam/Valve store) successfully through several hard disk formats, but prior to my last one, a week ago, I had some issues. I made sure, like an iTunes Authorized Computer, of sorts, (you only get 5!,) to de-authorize all...
Gaming
BSOD - Restart no good. Saftymode no good.
Im new to the forums, so if im not following forum rules feel free to correct me. Ive tried reading a bit, and im getting that my black sceen problem is fairly common and that i can have several reasons. Now, for more details: Ive had my computer for 2,5 years. 2 months back i decided to...
BSOD Help and Support
anybody no of a good ftp server that works good with 7
hey all i am just asking about a nice easy to use ftp server for windows 7 as for the ones i have tryed out are well lets say crap keep crashing or not responding or don't work how they are ment to so i fort i would give it ago see if you guys can help me out once more
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App