Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Poor Gaming Performance

27 Nov 2010   #11
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Im almost certain if it isnt a bad pci-e slot it might be a bad card

I would also like to think the bugs and kinks are still being ironed out with these card
some gaming platforms doesnt even reconize them yet i always get a message from steam about the new hd6870

They always want information but still havnt updated my card in thiere data base
If nothing is resolved with the previous i would probally return the card and go for a lower model and save some cash

I also would like to point out you did good with a hd series card
maybe your mobo is picky time will tell also alot of post features should be turned off espcecially if you have no need for them like the count down you speak of seems to be more a eyesore then a helper


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Nov 2010   #12
TacticalTimbo

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post

I'd also err on the side it being a mobo issue.

As a test - have you tried the card in the 2nd PCI-E slot? (rule out a dodgy slot)



And if you don't use Express Gate - turn it off in.
Yea I'm kind of thinking it's the mobo, will probably call Asus on Monday to sort out an RMA. I did try to fit the card into the second slot but what with the e-sata cables and the bottom mounted psu, the space is too tight for a double hight card...in any case if the slot is broken then I would still RMA the board as it is effectively broken. Also I might well turn off Express Gate as I don't use it but it's pretty likely it's a side issue to the main trouble with performance. Finally, the issue of the system giving a BSOD at start up if on the latest BIOS with X.M.P enabled is the final pointer for me that the board is cooked, as its a pretty popular mobo and from my searches I couldn't find anybody else with the problem.

The 4870x2 I had before was also hopeless, I couldn't get a single game to work without serious glitching or terrible stuttering/bad fps. This is why I can only assume the GTX 580 is fine; it can't be that every GPU in the world is broken lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #13
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post

I'd also err on the side it being a mobo issue.

As a test - have you tried the card in the 2nd PCI-E slot? (rule out a dodgy slot)



And if you don't use Express Gate - turn it off in.
Yea I'm kind of thinking it's the mobo, will probably call Asus on Monday to sort out an RMA. I did try to fit the card into the second slot but what with the e-sata cables and the bottom mounted psu, the space is too tight for a double hight card...in any case if the slot is broken then I would still RMA the board as it is effectively broken. Also I might well turn off Express Gate as I don't use it but it's pretty likely it's a side issue to the main trouble with performance. Finally, the issue of the system giving a BSOD at start up if on the latest BIOS with X.M.P enabled is the final pointer for me that the board is cooked, as its a pretty popular mobo and from my searches I couldn't find anybody else with the problem.

The 4870x2 I had before was also hopeless, I couldn't get a single game to work without serious glitching or terrible stuttering/bad fps. This is why I can only assume the GTX 580 is fine; it can't be that every GPU in the world is broken lol.

GPU might not be broken but seems like the name brand choice in boards might be the downfall every tryed using another brand sometime reviews are not always what they seem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Nov 2010   #14
TacticalTimbo

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post

GPU might not be broken but seems like the name brand choice in boards might be the downfall every tryed using another brand sometime reviews are not always what they seem
I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you talking about the mobo brand or the GPU brand? The mobo is Asus and the video card is Nivida/Inno3D...the GPU before that was ATi/PowerColor.

The GTX 580 is so new that pretty much all of them a reference cards, bog standard design.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #15
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post

GPU might not be broken but seems like the name brand choice in boards might be the downfall every tryed using another brand sometime reviews are not always what they seem
I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you talking about the mobo brand or the GPU brand? The mobo is Asus and the video card is Nivida/Inno3D...the GPU before that was ATi/PowerColor.

The GTX 580 is so new that pretty much all of them a reference cards, bog standard design.

I mean the mainboard i see alot of issues with Asus boards on here the gpu is still really new as well im still ironing out my new gpu but the mainboard im always hearing something about Asus always being rma or defective
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2010   #16
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post
Yea I'm kind of thinking it's the mobo, will probably call Asus on Monday to sort out an RMA.
Even if it isn't the board, you'll at least eliminate another variable. Good luck with the process. Hopefully you'll get a quick turnaround and it will sort your issues out.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
but the mainboard im always hearing something about Asus always being rma or defective
I wouldn't say always. My current board is perfectly fine.

Along with Asus, there are also plenty of defective Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, EVG, XFX etc boards as well.

It's luck of the draw really.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #17
TacticalTimbo

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
I mean the mainboard i see alot of issues with Asus boards on here the gpu is still really new as well im still ironing out my new gpu but the mainboard im always hearing something about Asus always being rma or defective
Right, motherboard has been sent back and they've confirmed it to be faulty, trouble is they don't have it in stock. Good news is I can go for a different board and pay/receive the difference.

What would you (and anybody else) recommend?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #18
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

I'm a big Gigabyte fan, and it really has performed well for me - check out my specs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #19
TacticalTimbo

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Oh well made my choice, decided on the Rampage III...yea I know it's another Asus but I thought what the hell might as well give it a go, plus I love the looks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #20
Wordsworth

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I've always bought Asus mainboards. The first one in 1998 had a voltage problem and was RMAd with no problems on the replacement nor any board since. The Asus P6T I have now has been trouble free.

Like smarteyeball said, luck of the draw and you can find problems with all brands and with most all models.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Poor Gaming Performance




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Poor GTX 770 SLI Performance
I recently bought a second EVGA 2GB GTX 770 SC and have SLI set up, but the performance increase I got was a lot less than expected. I ran my own little benchmark with the first mission of the BF3 campaign on Ultra settings and my average frames per second only increased about 20 from about 90 to...
Graphic Cards
Poor SSD performance
Hi, I'm using Team Xtreem S3 120 GB SSD with Win7. The intallation was performed on AHCI mode and drivers and BIOS settings seem to be ok. However I get a poor perfomance. With SATA2 connection, I believe I should get seq speeds around 200-250 MB/s. Here is what I get: Crystal Disk Info AS...
Hardware & Devices
Poor gaming performance and cant figure out why
So I recently got into gaming on my pc by adding a new NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, the only problem is I still seem to be having performance issues with any game I play. Currently i have a AMD Atholon II x4 635 processor at 2.90 GHz, 4 gigs of ram, 500 gig hdd, running on windows 7 home premium 64 bit,...
Gaming
Poor computer conditions = poor gaming performance?
First off, I didn't know whether to post this in gaming or hardware. Sorry. My question: If there is dust on the videocard and fans or other poor condtions in my computer, can it affect performance in gaming? FPS wise? Thanks, Andrew.
Hardware & Devices
Poor SSD Performance
After having rather high hopes for SSD Performance...I'm disappointed. I'm glad I got a test unit, because if I would've shelled out the cabbage for this, I'd be a little PO'd. I have an 8300 Quad Core 2.5 Intel with 4GB of RAM running W7 Pro 64 Bit. Instead of trying to clone the old drive, I...
Performance & Maintenance
Poor Gaming Performance
Okay I'm a little vexed as I've felt for a long time now that my PC is under performing for what it is (see my specs below), when it comes to gaming. Basically could anybody tell me if the attached results for the Metro 2033 frontline benchmark test match with what you'd expect for a system like...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App