Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help with stutter in games

04 Oct 2013   #31
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

ok, I read that the readyboot one is harmless and is because I disabled superfetch and prefetch. however, I cant get the computer browser one to stop..... I think that Is wagt causing my problems...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Oct 2013   #32
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

ok, I believe I have fixed all errors except readyboot, however microsofts says that it does not harm performace, in any way, and is not really an "error" and to ignore it. so I am.

let me clear event log, and do a fresh start to see if there is anything weird
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2013   #33
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

so playing bf3, it seems to get progressfully worse at time goes on.

however all those errors seem to be fixed

any other ideas? how can I tell its a driver? the only drivers I manually installed is audio, Graphics, and Wifi adapter. and I KNOW its not any of those causing problems because ive tried multiple versions of them.

also im borrowing my friends ram tomorrow morning to try out. but I seriously doubt its my ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Oct 2013   #34
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

i think its fixed.....

most games now have not stuttered. only BF3 has been. im trying all my other games before I call it however.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2013   #35
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by N00berG00ber View Post
ok, I read that the readyboot one is harmless and is because I disabled superfetch and prefetch. however, I cant get the computer browser one to stop..... I think that Is wagt causing my problems...
Superfetch and prefetch are best left switched on. In fact Seven doesn't actually need any real "tweaking" unlike previous MS OS'es. Aside from adjusting those and your pagefile, are there any other changes you've made?




From your event viewer screenshots there doesn't appear to be anything worth worrying about. None that would be the cause of this anyway.

If it was the graphics driver, you'd see:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

However since there doesn't appear to be any of those events, it's probably not the cause. (although the symptoms are similar.)


You mentioned this issue also occurred with your previous GPU, what was it? And what's the oldest driver version you've tried? Nvidias been putting out some crappy ones for a while. Maybe going back as far 320.18 or 320.49 might be worth trying if you haven't already.


Have you checked your hard drives health? It might be worthwhile using an app like this to give it a check. With a quirky issue like this it doesn't hurt to check all angles.


When you ran memtest, how many passes did you let it do? Just the one or several? If there is something wrong with your RAM, it might not show up straight away.


What change did you make to improve your other games? Although if BF3 is still playing up, the issue may not be resolved. As for the choppy youtube playback, was it just in one browser or were other browsers affected as well?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2013   #36
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by N00berG00ber View Post
ok, I read that the readyboot one is harmless and is because I disabled superfetch and prefetch. however, I cant get the computer browser one to stop..... I think that Is wagt causing my problems...
Superfetch and prefetch are best left switched on. In fact Seven doesn't actually need any real "tweaking" unlike previous MS OS'es. Aside from adjusting those and your pagefile, are there any other changes you've made?




From your event viewer screenshots there doesn't appear to be anything worth worrying about. None that would be the cause of this anyway.

If it was the graphics driver, you'd see:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

However since there doesn't appear to be any of those events, it's probably not the cause. (although the symptoms are similar.)


You mentioned this issue also occurred with your previous GPU, what was it? And what's the oldest driver version you've tried? Nvidias been putting out some crappy ones for a while. Maybe going back as far 320.18 or 320.49 might be worth trying if you haven't already.


Have you checked your hard drives health? It might be worthwhile using an app like this to give it a check. With a quirky issue like this it doesn't hurt to check all angles.


When you ran memtest, how many passes did you let it do? Just the one or several? If there is something wrong with your RAM, it might not show up straight away.


What change did you make to improve your other games? Although if BF3 is still playing up, the issue may not be resolved. As for the choppy youtube playback, was it just in one browser or were other browsers affected as well?
I read that the computer browser thing in even view was causing some people to freeze up. but not like mine.

ive tried all drivers since the 320.19. my last GPU was the same exact one as I have now. I sent it in for an RMA and they sent me a new one of the same model. my last one was the same issue.

I have ran a check disk in widows multiple times, and they have all come up clean. my HDD has 200GB left, and is defraged. ill run that program you listed. What should i have my bios set to for my HDD? ANCHI or IDE?
EDIT: Drive completed successfully. no errors.

I let memtest run several passes.

the only real changes I did was OC my CPU, HT Link, Shut down a bit of services, page file is set to 1GB, turn off some windows animations, turned off some windows features, and other various little things.... nothing that would cause this however.

the youtube issue happens in IE. I don't have any other browser on here. however, I DO remember videos lagging on my laptop too in IE, so I switched that to chrome, and it was fine. im not too worried about the youtube videos thing. when I edit videos @ 1080p, the video is perfectly fine. no lags or stutters of any kind.

it seems to only happen now on BF3. it does it very little in the beginning of playing, then as time goes on and my GPU heats up, the boost clock fluctuates maybe 10-20MHZ in the boost range, and so does voltage. and the stuttering gets worse after that, so I think it maybe that cause.....? It does NOT happen in my other games AS often. it may happen once every 20 mins or so, or not at all. so far that I noticed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2013   #37
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

For a spinner HDD, IDE should be fine, the setting wouldn't cause stutters.
Memtest should be run a minimum of 7 full passes, more if possible, but at least 7.

Do you have another PCIe slot to try the GPU in?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2013   #38
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
For a spinner HDD, IDE should be fine, the setting wouldn't cause stutters.
Memtest should be run a minimum of 7 full passes, more if possible, but at least 7.

Do you have another PCIe slot to try the GPU in?
yes, but only x8 speed.

also, its a brand new mobo. it was happening on the other one too. so its not the mobo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2013   #39
Dude

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by N00berG00ber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
For a spinner HDD, IDE should be fine, the setting wouldn't cause stutters.
Memtest should be run a minimum of 7 full passes, more if possible, but at least 7.

Do you have another PCIe slot to try the GPU in?
yes, but only x8 speed.

also, its a brand new mobo. it was happening on the other one too. so its not the mobo.
Even in the x8 lane the card will perform the same. It never uses the full x16
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2013   #40
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

OK, bit its not the lane. Lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help with stutter in games




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Stutter and FPS drops with always of top applications in games fix?
Hello. I have this annoying problem with Windows 7 while playing a game called Aion in borderless fullscreen. Whenever I open an always on top application (example: manually setting Task Manager to always on top, or skype informing me of a message I received) the FPS simply plummets down to...
Gaming
All my games stutter Windows 7/8.1 - I think I've tried everything
Hey, For the past few months all games on my Windows 7 stutter ,offline and online games.It's a micro stutter,sometimes it last for couple of seconds followed by choppy sound.I founded out that when I use my front panel for my headphones when situation in games get really intensive (like heavy...
Gaming
Nvidia GTX970 aero unsupported error, games stutter frequently
so after a Nvidia driver update, I restarted my PC to find that it would switch to windows basic after 1-2 minutes and I couldn't revert it, I tried re running WEI, uninstalling the drivers completely, basically everything I can find, even Regedit and services.msc. I tried to play games that used...
Graphic Cards
Stutter/Lag when playing games and mouse cursor
Figured this is where this question belongs. I am having stuttering Issues while playing any game, occasionally my mouse does this laggy thing on the desktop but rarely, but when in game about 5 minutes into it the game starts acting like im having lag spikes, but it does it when playing non online...
Graphic Cards
Stutter/Lag when playing games and mouse cursor
Figured this is where this question belongs. I am having stuttering Issues while playing any game, occasionally my mouse does this laggy thing on the desktop but rarely, but when in game about 5 minutes into it the game starts acting like im having lag spikes, but it does it when playing non online...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App