Portal 2 flagged as containing a virus by Norton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,682
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Portal 2 flagged as containing a virus by Norton


    Last night I got this notice from Norton Internet Security reporting Portal 2's exe as containing a high risk trojan...

    Portal 2 flagged as containing a virus by Norton-nis-security-history.jpg

    Doing a Google search on it brought me here... Portal 2 flagged as containing a virus by Norton :: Steam Discussions so yeah something is going on. Anyway I'm going to leave mine quarantined till I hear more on this and delete if necessary. It wouldn't be the first time an AV gave a false positive so we'll see.

    With that anyone hear anything else?

    Thanks.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,846
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
       #2

    its not a trojan.. do you think valve, the biggest games supplier in the world for pc games would infect one of their best selling titles?? its just norton being norton..

    I read an article today about how norton makes almost no money a year from paid for subscriptions. Their only income is because they are bundled with new build, everyones realises its crap so uninstalls it instantly with all of its bloatware, hence they get no new licence income or money from renewals! says something about their service if you ask me!!
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 92
    Windows 8.1
       #3

    Fake don't worry about it.

    Im using avast free and can recommend it.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 7,682
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    badger906 said:
    its not a trojan.. do you think valve, the biggest games supplier in the world for pc games would infect one of their best selling titles?? its just norton being norton..

    I read an article today about how norton makes almost no money a year from paid for subscriptions. Their only income is because they are bundled with new build, everyones realises its crap so uninstalls it instantly with all of its bloatware, hence they get no new licence income or money from renewals! says something about their service if you ask me!!
    Well I'm one who never bought into the fear mongering hype of Norton is crap. Anyway this was also posted as info. As to the issue at hand, yeah it is false positive. The Steam forums are all over it.

    Oh BTW, Norton isn't the only AV company to issue false positive results, and they won't be the last. It happens.

    Later.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 92
    Windows 8.1
       #5

    sygnus21 said:
    Oh BTW, Norton isn't the only AV company to issue false positive results, and they won't be the last. It happens.

    Later.
    Hm not really from what i heard/read they flag game.exe files so they will scare pirates lol...but it's only a myth still could explain why portal 2.exe glows red i don't have portal 2 so can't confirm it.

    You got game from Steam/Value so why worry i don't get it.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,846
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
       #6

    also its estimated that 60% of all cyber attacks go undetected due to the sheer massive number of ways in which they try to attach out systems.

    basically your computet is at risk regardless. there no point worrying about it!!
    people dont spend their lives worring that they will catch a killer disease 24/7 or dont go near roads for fear of being hit by a car, so why worry about a computer being infected!!

    its 2014, the worst a virus or other can do these days is steal your bank or credit card details.. and with all major banks and credit card systems offering free and active fraud protection its not exactly going to bankcrupt anyone!

    I dont even run a virus scanner.. I see it as pointless. if someome wants my details or files they could break into my house and get it.. a virus scanner wont do jack then lol!

    I just avoid the dodgy websites and format regularly . its probably a less time wasting method than doing weekly scans!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
       #7

    I have Avast Free as well and I get those from time to time, annoying and the truth is that, unless you are a PC guru, you can never know for sure so I just take it easy and take a few gambles if I know that it comes from a game or something that I believe to be real... sometimes that has failed!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,218
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
       #8

    Isn't the portal 2 executable file called hl2.exe? I may be wrong, but it's using the half life 2 engine so it should be using the same executable.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 7,682
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    MrNeeds said:
    Isn't the portal 2 executable file called hl2.exe? I may be wrong, but it's using the half life 2 engine so it should be using the same executable.
    No, its not.

    Half-Life 2 and Portal 2 are two completely different games. And yes... I have both games.


    Anyway this issue is resolved as its been determined this is a false positive on Norton's part. Something in the new Av updates that suddenly flagged the Portal 2's exe.

    Thanks
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 14
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
       #10

    Well, duh. OF COURSE Portal 2 has a virus: GLaDOS.

      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:04.
Find Us